Monday 28 December 2020

RUI BA KATLA MAACH ER DIM ER BORA



FISH ROE / MAACH ER DIM; A LINGERING LOVE SINCE CHILDHOOD!

Very few Bengalis would say a no to fish roe! On reaching forty, I knew the Japanese too love it, though they eat it in a different way. Had the Japanese ate "bhajabhuji" as we do, their skin would not have been this smooth & shiny, would have complained about "gola-buk jwala, koshtho-kathinya". I was skeptical about tasting something called Sushi that has marinated raw ingredients, including fish roe wrapped or topped in / on sticky rice. It was an acquired taste and I may not like but eat it these days. Only that, looking at the orange coloured Flying Fish Roe on Sushi & Sashimi; it feels like Mihidana and I crave more for a bowlful of "Bardhaman er Mihidana & Muri or luchi" / Puffed Rice or Bread than a Sushi platter. This only proves what level of a Bengali in essence I am. When it comes to fresh water FISH ROE FRY & CURRY, the BENGALI way, I love this GLUTEN-FREE SNACK or SIDE  more than any sweet servings.

WHAT IS BENGALI KIND OF FISH ROE / FISH EGG?

Fish Roe comes for free along with fish among us. I specifically love FISH ROE of fresh water fish because I grew up eating them. The most popular Bengali FISH ROE is of Hilsa FISH, we also love the roe / eggs of the Bengal Carp, Tyangra; a smaller cat fish, of Puti Maach; Olive Barb, Magur Maach; Walking Cat Fish, Koi Maach; Climbing Perch! I have never seen eggs of Aar or Boyal Maach. Here we get a plenty supply of Bengal Carp varieties coming from Malaysia and I get the ones with eggs at times to prepare RUI BA KATLA MAACH ER DIM ER BORA / ROE FRITTERS OF BENGAL CARP. I believe, what we grow up eating is what naturally become our love. There will always be some exceptions. I remember, how the adults were at awe looking at this kid, which is I skilfully de-boning a fish, at what expertise I took out the  FISH EGGS and kept aside the plate to have it at the end of the meal. I remember it all, I sitting on the ground on a "piri", an wooden low height stool & having a full BENGALI MEAL, later the same self sitting on a chair to have the same kind of meals in a similar manner. I think, since my birth I knew FOOD is something to relish and the sight of food got delight to me since then. I did not know, some day I would COOK and share RECIPES with the world; had I knew I would have done a few professional courses on it; no, I think doing an in-depth study of literature was my thing.

HOW DO A BENGALI COOK FISH EGG / ROE FRITTER & CURRY?

Among us there is no fancy whilst cooking a fish roe, it is simply fried after been washed, marinated in salt, turmeric; mixed with chopped onion & green chillies. We love having those fritters; we further cook a curry with the fritters & potato; a sour curry also with raw mango or tamarind. I love it both ways. I so much love FISH ROE FRITTERS that I can have at least ten of them in one go! It's curry is another love. Else, ask any Bengali, they would say that buying a fish with eggs grown in it is a compromise with it's taste. Yet, we do so because we love fish roe and consider it as an extra gift coming along with the fish. The very exclusive Hilsa egg is not always available but because we get the Bengal Carp variety regular, I do buy them along with fish and often cook the fish roe curry or this fritter called RUI BA KATLA MAACH ER DIM ER BORA. You can have the fritters as a SNACK or as a side with RICE, GHEE, DAL. On that particular day, we also had "doi potol, mash kolai er dal, aloo, begun diye paka pui bichi bhaja" and salad too!



INGREDIENTS : 

RUI / KATLA / BENGAL CARP FISH EGG / ROE : 250-300 GM
CHOPPED ONION : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2 TSP
CHOPPED FRESH CORIANDER : 2 TBSP [OPTIONAL]
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1/4 - 1/2 TSP
RICE FLOUR : 2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL  : 6-8 TBSP [I USE MUSTARD OIL]

PROCEDURE :

Wash the fish egg chunk very well and cut into smaller pieces. Some would disintegrate and spread around. Do not worry, we can fry them.

Now, add the salt, turmeric and red chilli powders to the fish roe, mix well and keep aside for 10-12 minutes.

Thereafter, add the washed and chopped onion, green chillies & fresh coriander, rice flour to the marinated fish egg / roe. Mix everything well.


Heat the oil in a pan or wok and gently place the fish roe pieces on it. 


We do not require this stuff to deep fry in a lot of oil. Instead, we will fry each side at minimal heat for a longer period until brown, else the inside is not done properly and smells.



Always enjoy it having hot & fresh!






No comments :

Post a Comment