Thursday 11 February 2021

MILLET-RICE-PINEAPPLE STEAMED PUDDING





THE FIGHT BETWEEN DESSERT, SWEET & HEALTH!

There is no denying the fact that sugar brings health hazards! But we are not the extreme kinds at this home who can quit desserts altogether! There are a couple of special prayer meets that held in our home throughout the year; how is it possible not to offer DESSERTS & SWEETS to my God Family? The best I could do to help my ailing health is replacing the daily offerings to my God Family; from the bigger sugar crystals [michrir dana] to a mix of roasted & broken dry fruits mix at first and then finally to a mix of roasted cashews and pumpkin seeds!

Not everyday, we prepare rice pilaff; regular desserts are a no for health reasons! Munching the cashews & raisins were a thing of joy until when I knew the sucrose content in fresh & dried fruits is also not good for me if eaten regular. My side of the family had been a minimalist; so am I. I will not get home this seed and that nut; all at one time. So, how I manage our dessert / sweet cravings? With available ingredients, using less amount of brown sugar; I prepare an unconventional pudding; name it MILLET-RICE-PINEAPPLE STEAMED PUDDING!

I AM TRYING TO EAT HEALTHY; PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO EMBRACE SALAD & SOUP!

A 16-17 hours of intermittent fasting was causing me severe bloating. Looking at my blood sugar level in the report last week; I had to rethink! Moreover, there had been warnings coming from the doctors' mouths that a diabetic should not go for longer periods of fasting! It's the third day now, I have started with breakfasts. I am just trying to have healthier breakfasts; doing only a 12 hours of intermittent fasting. I enjoy food any way, the only fear is of putting on weight again. My problem is my inability to exercise hard. I had always remained my family's laziest member; a dili-dallied self. They tried to mend me but did not push me hard to be worthy in life; neither did my partner did something to make me learn how hard it is to earn few dollars on my own. If I said; "amar chakri kortey bhalolagey na, oshob bujhina ki kortey hoy computer e"! I was told, "korona tobey"! I could only become a guaranteed assurance that there be no wastage of the hard earned money! People at home trust me! The thing is; we do not eat everything, together! We have our own choices of food! Just an hour back, I was having oil free, ragi idlis! I tried them steaming manually in bowls, they did not turn really idly but I liked the "jhal ragi pudding"! It tasted as good as the MILLET-RICE-PINEAPPLE STEAMED PUDDING!


The milk tea & coffee were causing me severe bloating & acidity too! I have noticed, if we do not use sugar in milk tea or coffee, this happens! Honestly, once I started eating my breakfast, bloating is at bay!

STEAMED PUDDING WITH FRESH PINEAPPLE JUICE, FINGER MILLET FLOUR, RICE FLOUR IS A HEALTHIER DESSERT IDEA!

I stock jowar, bajra, ragi flours at home. Being a Bengali, I did not grow up having them! Only in the recent years, I got to know they are healthier food options. Given my heightened blood sugar level; I felt, okay, let me have my "maacher jhol" with these instead of rice. Its few years, I had been trying my hands at unconventional desserts! The youngest, whilst at home used to enjoy all my experimental desserts & sweets. He definitely would have enjoyed this MILLET-RICE-PINEAPPLE STEAMED PUDDING! I hardly prepare my hometown's traditional sweets. Firstly, they require time and patience. Secondly, the amount of white sugar they require is no more what I have the liberty to allow in our lives. Roshogolla, however shall keep on going; at least once every two months! But, this week is a celebration here and there too! I had to plan something for the maximum! I always wish to; love to celebrate with a little of sweet something. I think this HEALTHY PUDDING fits in! I had used very few ingredients doing it; PINEAPPLE JUICE, FINGER MILLET FLOUR, RICE FLOUR, PLAIN OIL, BROWN SUGAR, WALNUT, DRIED COCONUT FLAKES, CINNAMON POWDER! We really get very good supply of pineapples here. The day before, I got sad not getting the usual honey sweet variety with an orange hue on the body! This was green and the help warned me it may be sour. But no, with a super white interior instead of yellow, it was supremely sweet! I used only 3-4 tablespoon of brown sugar! I had used an orchid for the photography purpose of the bare pudding and I call it a flower with magical elements! It requires a little of water to keep fresh for few days; it comes to serve my God Family!








INGREDIENTS : 

FINGER MILLET / RAGI FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
BAKING POWDER : 1/2 TSP OR A LITTLE MORE
FRESH PINEAPPLE JUICE : 2 COFFEE MUG
SUGAR : 3-4 TBSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
OIL : 2-3 TBSP
CINNAMON POWDER : 1 TSP
CHOPPED WALNUT : 11/2 TBSP
DRIED COCONUT FLAKES : 2 TBSP


PROCEDURE : 

                                



We had taken the essential ingredients together atop our kitchen counter! Cristine prepared the fresh pineapple juice in a juicer; so I was relieved of peeling, chopping, juicing of the fruit!



We had taken the brown sugar, 2 coffee mugs of pineapple juice & 2-3 tbsp of oil in a blender!


After blending for 2-3 minutes; pausing in between, it looked like below.


We had at first half filled a coffee mug with rice flour and then the other half with the finger millet flour.



We had added the baking powder to the flour mix and passed it through a strainer to the bowl that has the wet mixture!



We had stirred the entire thing until smooth & lump free; added the cinnamon powder, dried coconut flakes & chopped walnuts.



                                          

We had again beat well the mixture.


We had greased an aluminium container with few drops of oil and then dusted it well with flour.


We had poured the batter into it!



Here is my manual steamer. Alternatively, we can use a colander, deep vessel and a lid! I do not know how to use an electric steamer!

I had removed the cover of it; poured water; about 3-4 coffee mugs of! 



Then, I had placed the stand atop and covered! We will let the water boil!



When the water started boiling; we had placed the bowl with batter at the centre of the stand!


We had covered the steamer and let it steam at low to medium heat for about 20-25 minutes.


We should be done. We will allow some standing time before having!





4 comments :

  1. Pudding looks really healthy and yummy. I would like ti try it. I am one of dessert lovers. Love them very much. But worry about the my health. Nowadays, here in Turkey, diabetic honey and dates are used for the mixture of jams, sweets and desserts as organic sugar instead of the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Oh! is it? I must research about diabetic honey & dates!

      Delete
  2. In Turkey chestnuts honey from Ordu city and honey from Adiyaman city are sold here for diabetic honey. We try to find them and buy

    ReplyDelete