Monday 22 March 2021

MILK POWDER ROSHOMALAI


 

CAN WE CONSIDER ROSHOMALAI AS ONE OF THE VARIOUS IDENTIFICATION MARKS OF KOLKATA?

I have a notion that Roshomalai / COOKED PANEER BALLS DUNKED IN CREAMIER MILK; is not so Bengali in essence as much Roshogolla & Sandesh is! But the entire of Bengal loves it; that I know. The ROSHOMALAI Kolkata sells seem to be quite different from what the rest of roshomalai eating belt of India sells as! I specially speak of the Kolkata Caterers' version of it; they are this tiny balls in a creamier milk bed served chilled in ice-cream or cake cups! It was not so commonly brought in our homes; I loved having it in "nemontonno baris" / on occasions of invitation; marriage, rice feeding ceremony; holy thread ceremony etc. About a decade back; in Bengali Ceremonies; the dessert section had this mini roshomalais or ice-creams. I enjoyed both! For over a decade; we are devoid of such invitations. As I write this piece; I am craving for some typical KOLKATA STYLE ROSHOMALAI; served in ice-cream cups, chilled! I really wished to produce that KOLKATA STYLE DESSERT / SWEET in particular but I ended up doing the ANGOORI RASMALAI of the non-Bengali speaking Indians! Quite funnily, the rest of India's roshomalai is DUDH CHAMCHAM in the suburbs of Kolkata; be it long in shape or round or oval! Correct me if I am wrong!

THE LADY AT THIS HOME EATS, THINKS, DREAM FOOD!

Unfortunately, she tied the knot with someone who has least interest in food and eating! If the son is sitting far off; if Cristine is too worried about her tummy; if Cristine's Sir wants only two simple meals most of the days; who am I going to relish my food with? I am a foodie, I love roaming around the island and can eat sitting alone in eateries & food courts is true but food tastes better when you sit with your own and have it! This guy hardly is a food enthusiast and told me categorically not to involve him where in the blog is concerned. Had he helped me; we could have made videos together and shared in youtube and everywhere. How much I say; those who mention of their family in public; get more followers & accolades; he does not wish to listen to any such requests. At least he is allowing me to do some home delivery of food. At least, I could feed him some "bael er shorbot" on a Sunday morning! I am thankful to the Almighty!


Yesterday, I did not go out to get food for us. My home anyway is full of food! We had wood apple drink in the morning; hilsa; urad dal; raw banana skin bharta for lunch and luchi, aloo bhaja, achar for dinner. In between, I had two idlis in the evening with my green tea! I thought I will have less carb today but look at me! I over ate a carb filled lunch after a 16 hours of intermittent fasting and 45 minutes of swim. 


I do not remember until I tend to over eat that I may fall sick. Now I feel very sleepy! Weight loss does not happen whatever I do because of this one single reason!

The box you see below is the man's lunch box today. They are freshly made idli from a stale batter made last Saturday; mango and the sweet I made few days back and blogged about!



NOW, WHAT IS THIS MILK POWDER ROSHOMALAI?

It is nothing complex! Just like many homes who do not drink milk as it is; I do not keep milk cartons at home at all, ever since the son had left home. Who will have? Instead, I keep in stock milk powder; I need the instantly made khoya / mawa for the sweets I make! Yes, you definitely can prepare CHENA / CHANA / PANEER from a good quality milk powder! I store milk powder at home for a couple of years now. This MILK POWDER ROSHOMALAI / COOKED MINI COTTAGE CHEESE BALLS IN MILK SYRUP was made last February; just before the circuit breaker here; lockdown elsewhere. The son was at home; how he loves SWEETS & DESSERTS; his mumma makes. When did he get so strong willed & hardcore? It was tough for him to go; it was tough for us to let go; but he did not break. We hold our breathe to see him succeed. We only wish we can spend some quality time together rest our lives; so that mumma can cook goodies for him. Foremost, I want his safety & security! 

Today's share is for a person who has the rare quality of a giving heart. I shall remain ever indebted to this person. Your own may not do for you what this person does for anyone; also for the lesser people. My message to the person would be like; "take some rest, it is okay not to be perfect in your entire tenure on this earth!



INGREDIENTS : FOR THE CHENA / CHANA / PANEER / COTTAGE CHEESE

MILK POWDER : 4-5 TBSP
WARM WATER : 3-4 COFFEE MUG
VINEGAR : 2 TBSP
WATER AT ROOM TEMPERATURE : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP SIZED

INGREDIENTS FOR THE MINI ROSHOGOLLA / COOKED MINI COTTAGE CHEESE BALL

THE CHENA / CHANA / PANEER MADE
SUGAR : 1 MEDIUM TEA CUP [ I USE BROWN SUGAR]
WATER : 4 COFFEE MUG
GREEN CARDAMOM : 2-3

INGREDIENTS FOR THE MILK POWDER ROSHOMALAI; OUR TODAY'S DESSERT

THE COOKED PANEER / COTTAGE CHEESE / CHENA / CHANA BALLS
1 SMALL TEA CUP OF THE SUGAR SYRUP
FULL CREAM MILK : 300-350 ML [I USE MARIGOLD OR COWHEAD]
EVAPORATED CREAMER : 150 ML
CHOPPED NUTS TO GARNISH


PROCEDURE :

Points to Remember while doing a Roshogolla

1] Be it vinegar or lemon juice, we must add it with water at room temperature and then use it to curdle the milk; one spoon at a time.
2] Once the whey water is seen; we must immediately switch off the gas stove.
3] The curdled milk should immediately be passed through a strainer when still hot.
4] The sugar syrup should never let be get sticky; it should remain watery.
5] We should avoid taking off the lid whilst the roshogollas are cooking!

The above is what I have learnt from around about Roshogolla making!




Take the powdered milk in the warm water taken in a vessel. Mix well and put for boil at minimal heat! 



When the milk is heating for a boil; We will mix the vinegar and water at room temperature well.


Once the milk has boiled for few minutes; say 7-8 minutes; we will add the vinegar mixed water, 1tbsp at a time; never together!


We will give a stir and the milk starts curdling.


As we see the whey water, we will turn off the gas stove.


We will immediately pass it through a clean piece of cloth placed on the strainer.


We will wash the chana / paneer, to get rid of the residual vinegar.


We will tie the cloth to the kitchen top for 1/2 an hour.


We will take it down and keep it on a plate. We will place a heavy stuff atop it.


We will remove the cloth and take the fresh paneer sans any amount of water on the plate.


We will knead it well for 12-15 minutes.


We will prepare tiny balls from it.



While we are preparing the balls; we will put for boil the water and brown sugar with the little torn green cardamoms thrown in!



Once the sugar syrup has boiled for about 7-8 minutes; we will add the paneer balls.



We will cover immediately and boil at medium heat for about 15-16 minutes. We will not let the sugar syrup get sticky.


Once done, we will switch off the gas stove and take out the cooked cottage cheese balls from the sugar syrup!



We will take the full cream milk and the evaporated creamer in a vessel and boil it for about 12-14 minutes at low heat; stirring it every 2 minutes. Then, we will add the sugar syrup to it.


We will boil it at low heat for 10-12 minutes and add the cooked cottage cheese balls to it.


We will cook it for 2-3 minutes and switch off the gas stove.


Once cool; add the chopped nuts and set it for chill. It feels heaven when served chilled!






2 comments :

  1. Amazing dessert! Its preparing method is so unique. I would like to try it in my kitchen, but not sure whether i become a successful or not. It looks restaurant quality dessert. Milky desserts are our favourite but this one is milk, cheese and nuts combination dessert. It deserves applauds.

    ReplyDelete