Thursday 18 March 2021

SHEEM ER BICHI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MAACH




FOR A TYPICAL BENGALI THAT I AM; "MAACH" MEANS SO DIFFERENT FROM "FISH"!

Really, I mean it! I cannot equate the term FISH CURRY with the kind of fish / MAACH, our family cooks. As I always say; because we do not get here the varieties we have grown up eating, there is so much presence of Bengal Carps in our life. My family specifically; would eat RUI / KATLA may be only twice or thrice a week. The rest of the days would we have a variety of fish. Our parents knew about so many varieties; they used to eat too. We kids were brought up in Kolkata and preferred only fewer varieties. There was a time, I liked only big fleshy, fish just like those in the in-law's place. The more I see the change in me post 40; I am myself finding it quite surprising. All of a sudden; hidden memories rushed in! I do not remember which class I was in when on our visits to Nabadwip; we would go for shower in the Holy Ganges; our mother and my cousins would swim; I would fear and watch them catching smaller fish with "gamcha". I even remember having the deep fried freshly caught fish with dal. I remember the mother cooking "puti maach" / Olive Barb and how I denied having it. Even if she had cooked a smaller prawn and vegetables medley, a sour curry with Olive Barb on a day; she had to cook a bigger fleshy fish for us siblings; to be precise for me. Then, my brother had no fascination for food; now developed addiction towards restaurant food; ordering food from outside is the duo's fun game. But, why and what has happened to me? Why do I comb search the island for at least fresh Japanese Olive Barb to cook with tamarind or raw mango? 

I DO MISS FRESH BABY SIZED BENGAL CARP VARIETIES; THAT IS A LOVE SINCE CHILDHOOD!

I do not know if the then veterans in our family were wrong when they told to eat more of "chara pona, mourala, puti"; fresh water smaller fish and less of egg. My side of the family always ate less of eggs. Its a variety of fish that ruled our lives then and today too. T's family are ardent duck egg lovers sans his sibling. His sister has habits more similar to our family! Though not a small fish variety lover in those days; I love baby carp varieties since childhood. I am proud that I had learnt to debone smaller fish at age six and really eat the bones as a cat would do! This island would still get Pabda & Tyangra & Parshe; but they never get some "chara pona". Do not Malaysia or Indonesia catch them? The thing is "charapona" / baby carps are not popular even among the Bengalis themselves; so there is not much demand for them. They are available frozen in the Bangladeshi stores which I will not buy. Tomorrow morning I will be going to the Tekka Centre; let me ask these guys who cater to the Bengali Customers why they do not get Baby Carps; if Malaysia sells it or not! Its nearly two years I have not visited Kolkata; such would be my mind. I do crave for "shorshe diye bata maach, puti maach er tok"! At least, I get fresh "magur maach" / Walking Catfish here in a shop! Thats good enough!

SHEEM ER BICHI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MAACH / WALKING CAT FISH WITH POTATOES & BROAD BEAN SEED!

Honestly, it is today I came to know properly that MAGUR MAACH is called WALKING CATFISH in English! We did not require to learn it. As a child, we knew whenever we get sick; we must eat "shing ba magur maach"! We had no fear because fish was less cultured then. In our family, this variety of fish came regular; not only when we were sick. A spicy, thick curry was made of it with "sheem er bichi o aloo" / broad bean seeds and potato; cinnamon powder added towards the end. In this MAACH ER JHOL / BENGALI FISH CURRY; SHEEM ER BICHI ALOO DIYE MAGUR MAACH; I tried to get the exact taste but I think mine got to be a lighter curry. I was happy that it was done with fresh fish, hence the curry will taste good always. My family used to roast broad bean seeds and store for the entire year. I make things easier for you. Instead of roasting them, I soak in hot water overnight; the next day I discard the skin and half them; it gets ready to be used. All my life, I have known Magur Maach is healthy, now I read a mixed review. That is why I do not like cultured fish, farm bred ones. Either I eat natural, fresh water fish or oats with my favourites; yogurt, mango & banana is great. 


That was my lunch today and a sunny side up. Yes, I eat eggs; one once a week mostly!




INGREDIENTS :

FRESH WALKING CATFISH / MAGUR MAACH : 5-6 [SMALLER SIZED]
POTATO : 1 BIG OR 2 MEDIUM SIZED
DRIED BROAD BEAN SEED / SHEEM ER SHUKONO BICHI : 1 TBSP
GINGER PASTE : 3 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
CINNAMON POWDER : 1/4 TSP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 2-3 PINCH
CLOVES POWDER : A PINCH
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
BAY LEAF : 1
OIL : 4 TBSP

PROCEDURE :
 

I really do not know if these are farm bred or natural catches from muddy water / ditches! I just ask for live and smaller sized!


This fish moves a lot as it is caught and kept live in water. In olden days; it was bought; kept in water filled pots and cooked very fresh.

These days, I ask the fish vendor to put some salt in the packet and the fish die. This may not be the right way but they refuse to cut here. It tends to sting!

Our help cuts and cleans the fish. You are to cut them into smaller ringlets; the tail would have very less flesh; the head too have fish.

In our family, they say boys should not eat "magur maach er matha", else their wife dies early. 

Anyway, once washed, marinate the fish pieces with half of the turmeric and some salt. Try not to refrigerate this fish. In my case, it does lie in the refrigerator for a night!

I actually soak the dried broad bean seeds in hot water for few hours; take off the skin and half them.

Heat the oil in a wok! Peel and cube the potatoes; wash and marinate with salt & turmeric. Fry them lightly in the heated oil, take out.

In the same oil; fry the fish pieces lightly. Take out. If the fish is very fresh; we need not fry it!

Mix together the ginger paste, the rest of the turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder; red chilli powder; salt. Add 2 tbsp water and mix to get a paste.

Temper the existing oil with cumin seeds and the bay leaf. Add the spice paste and broad bean seeds and stir for few minutes at low heat.

Add 2 coffee mugs of water and cover cook for 4-5 minutes at low heat. Add the fried potatoes and fish pieces. Gentry stir and cover cook at low heat for 3-4 minutes.

Open the cover and add the cinnamon+cardamon+cloves powders and stir. Cover cook for another minute. We should be done.

In between, if water is required, we will add some warm water! 

You can see; we also had on the side dal / lentil curry; laal shaak bhaja / red amaranth with peanuts; achor er dalna / raw jackfruit and potato curry on that day.




4 comments :

  1. Very nice dish. This is a very good post you made. You have explained things very well in this post. And the knowledge that you have is very good on this topic, which we have liked very much. You continued to work like this and kept telling us such good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information from Bengali Cuisine. When we were children, Anyone felt himself/herself sick, traditionally our moms cooked yogurt soup (or boiled meat with bones) for us. Because everyone believes that yogurt soup makes one recover and fine, like your walking catfish with Potatoes and broad beans dish. Images are perfect, presentation are wonderful. I feel myself in cook-book with recipes and their stories. Happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yogurt, mango & banana and then dish with fish as maincourse...i think it's great recipe and very healty combination food.

    Hopefully i can try to recook them :)

    thank's for your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete