Thursday 17 June 2021

STOVETOP SUJI APPLE CAKE

   


SEMOLINA; A MAGIC INGREDIENT!

Yes! To me, Semolina indeed creates magic in the kitchen. Even the Filipino at home keeps saying the Suji Idli I make tastes the best. The man and the son definitely enjoyed the suji / semolina flat bread I made and blogged about earlier. It did not happen regular but our luchi / poori done on a regular basis definitely has good amount of suji in it. For long, I have the plan to prepare a Raj Kachori; serve the rest with Ghoogni and myself would further dress it to make a chaat. It did not happen as yet. I may roam around the island and sit to eat alone; but at home, I do not like to have different from the rest. The son went to his college and a royal puffed bread did not happen. I am actually to prepare a couple of semolina dishes following the recipes of my Instagram co-workers; it's just not happening. About Raj Kachori; it feels to be a better idea to visit my favourite joint Kailash-Parbat after the lockdown is over, than to work so much only to cater me. Proper Northern Indian Chaats do not require labour; they require detailing. They demand a little of this and that on them. I would have gladly taken the ordeal if the rest at home had shown interest! The only chaat item the man eats is fuchka / golgappe! The son and Cristine would not touch. The common uses of semolina in our home are the making of idli, various desserts, Bengali upma, cakes. I find SEMOLINA CAKES easier to do requiring less ingredients! Because the son was not fond of suji halwa unless made a fusion with fresh fruit juices, neither of upma; I made CAKE & IDLI, PAKORAS mostly with it, still do! Here is one with SEMOLINA, APPLE, BROWN SUGAR; the simplistic STOVETOP SUJI APPLE CAKE.

STOVETOP CAKES ARE INTERESTING!

I am really finding the exercise interesting. Baking a cake on stove top does not seem that dreadful. It is time consuming but once we accept it, it's cool. You set the heat at minimal and its done. Okay, STOVETOP CAKES may not be saleable. I am okay with it! I have always been aware of my limitations; the problem is I am so lethargic that I fear to work towards overcoming my limits. At this time, all my bones seem like breaking; I want to lie down and go to a deep slumber! Why? Yesterday, night time I had walked 6.2 km and today I went to the local market and the mall, may be it was 3.4 km in all; and I was unable to go for a swim; instead had brown rice with mutton, boiled okra and dal. But I fulfil my targets, I am not an irresponsible kind. I know I must finish my blogging assignment and then I have to cook our dinner. I do not eat carb at night, they do! Someone is locked in another room, constantly sitting in front of the computer screen; morning until night without taking a lunch break. We serve the food there! I feel happy that the guy is not refusing whatever HOMEMADE FOOD is served with the evening tea! Hence, I  prepare a snack or two at intervals. Else, what to do. I do not block each day of the week serving my clients. I must have time for my home and leisure. In the madness of doing too many things within a timeline; I would perform poorly. Hence a VEGETARIAN BAKE can be done within the scheduled time of the day allocated for cooking! Just that our parents did not put any kind of pressure or challenges  in front of me; I did not learn to work hard and excel. 

WHAT IS THIS STOVETOP SUJI APPLE CAKE?

Stovetop Cakes are those that are cooked on gas top. I am not new to it. Pressure Cooker Cakes were done in the family in the 80's; until I got an electric run solo cake oven. I loved Bollywood Music then and I love it till date; I will continue to love! As I write this post; I am listening to an old favourite number from the mid 80's! 


Rishi Kapoor & Poonam Dhillon paired well on the screen. Like the other boys in my class, I too was / am fond of beautiful girls! A young Poonam Dhillon's beauty was flawless except her thin eyebrows! I do not have any of these girls' physical features but I give lip to their songs; even when baking a cake or writing a blog post! Me baked cakes are not Poonam Dhillon look a-likes; but they are as good accompaniment with your tea & coffee. Who am I? One who is very self-centric and does not like any interference whilst her rendition of "mausam par ka, rang badalta rahe, yuhi chalta rahe", whilst her beautiful, lonely walks or when at home! Neither her man, nor their child bothers her! They let me be, I love it! I hear the child took music and taking a lot of interest in it! It feels great, just waiting when baby starts cooking of it's own! Such SIMPLE BAKES wants some more lovers!




INGREDIENTS :

SEMOLINA / SUJI : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
APPLE : 1 RIPE
PLAIN YOGURT : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
BAKING POWDER : 1 TSP
BAKING SODA : 1/4 TSP
BROWN SUGAR : 4 TBSP
OIL : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP + 1 TSP TO GREASE
REFINED FLOUR : 1 TSP TO DUST THE CAKE TIN
DRY FRUITS & NUTS TO GARNISH; I USED PUMPKIN SEEDS & CASHEWNUTS

PROCEDURE :



We will take the semolina, baking soda and powder in a bowl and mix together well.



We will wash and cut the apple small! 


We will take the yogurt, brown sugar, apple, oil in a blender and blend to a puree!


We will add it to the semolina flour and fold in well!


We will keep the mixture covered for half an hour. 


We will grease a cake tin with oil and then dust with flour.


We will pour the batter onto the cake tin and garnish with cashews & pumpkin seeds!


We will place a pan on the gas top at first; on it in the middle a wired rack. We will let it get heated for 10 minutes. Thereafter, we are to place the cake tin atop!


We will cover the entire thing with a lid without any hole. I covered any hole with a clove!


It took 55 minutes at low to minimal heat for the cake to get ready to eat!


We would let it cool. After an hour, we can turn it over easily!


It should be eaten fresh for the best taste. Mine was dense and we do not like adding any syrup to it. You can add syrup or blossom water for a more moistened version!









1 comment :

  1. Ingredients are super! Very rich and healthy. Fruit cakes are my favourite. Also our children love apple cake too. I am sure Its Stovetop version must be excellent. Happy weekend Dear friend.

    ReplyDelete