Monday 16 August 2021

MICROWAVE E PANEER SNACK



I HATED MILK; LOVED CHANA-MURI-CHINI!

I am really honest about this declaration! I dislike milk more than any medicine, I could never take the smell of milk, nor was able to digest it. However, I loved the milk products; pithey-payesh to a mere chana / HOMEMADE BENGALI COTTAGE CHEESE! Sitting to write this post, memories rush in; from the sole cow that the maternal grand parents' home had, to how the maternal uncles used to divide among themselves the work load of preparing the fodder for the domesticated animal, to that fateful night when it died, to been an witness of how a calf is given birth to; and later my ritual to go to the "Khatal Kakuder bari" in DumDum with the jugs, on evenings when the mother could not! Every day, "dudh antey jaoa" was a job! Those uncles came to deliver in our neighbourhood but the mother insisted we get the freshest, without any water added to the just milched cows & buffaloes. I vividly remember that diary farm owned by few brothers; I think we were closer to the second brother; forgot his name, also forgot if we called him kaku or jethu! He loved us a lot. It was an one storied home, square shaped, of which one side was the animal farm; rest were the rooms of the brothers' family with a courtyard in the middle. On evenings, kaku went with the supply to the neighbourhood homes; his wife would sit in that courtyard; we queued in front! Kaku's wife never smiled, as a kid I did not like her frown; kaku was jovial and soft natured; always wearing a white sando, folded dhoti and a red gamcha tied around his waist! I forgot his name. What I hear is that dairy farm is no more, perhaps their home is there. Let me visit that area one day when I travel to India next, when we do not know!

CHANA-PANEER-DUDH ER KHATAL TO A DUMPLING SOUP; EVERY FOOD STORY HOLDS SIGNIFICANCE IN MY LIFE!

May be twenty years down the line, I will live to tell the story of having the best & authentic dumpling soup in this island! Kolkata Momo does not attract me anymore, it wont't later! I see myself loving food until the moment I breathe my last! I enjoy clicking the food I eat when. Yesterday afternoon, I had some work in the mall opposite. Thereafter, I sat in the food court to have a dumpling soup; I make it a supreme delight adding the sauces & seasonings! It was already 6:30 pm when I was done with it, people were having their dinner! I bought Sushi for the man; I bought a cream stuffed, cheese topped bread too! Not so fond of Sushi, neither hungry, I ate the last few of the palmyra fruit fritters & and the cream bun with sugar & milk free coffee at night! The way I am eating mango, rajgeera-jaggery bar & taal er bora; I do not know where my blood sugar count would reach! A bit of swimming & walking do not help much!




Everything at home would have been hunky-dory if people cared a little bit about the homemaking, took interest in it! At 7:30 pm, I came back home to see dark all around. It was the help's off day and no one bothered to switch on the lights after the sunset. We specially do not keep the God family in dark until the evening prayer is done, they have their dinner and go to sleep! I hope, staying alone without any help would teach the son at least certain things! Anyway, I continue with my life, eating and doing what I am required to; people are not in the habit of saying a sorry! I had a good lunch sometime back made with ragi & wheat flour batter, mixed vegetables & red lentils. Thereafter, a yogurt & mango bowl made me feel complete!



I am really feeling sleepy at this time! I had the wish to share a rustic, family Bengali recipe today; may be something with dried prawns or arum stem. But, its an auspicious week, Purnima / full moon is approaching! I cannot share just anything, I do not mind sharing a super cool & easy VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE MICROWAVE MADE SNACK!

WHAT IS THIS MICROWAVE E PANEER SNACK?

Chana; the BENGALI COTTAGE CHEESE is in making in our family for ages, so should be in other Bengali Families. But particularly, PANEER is always store bought whenever it is / was made. We have been eating it ever since it was introduced in the Kolkata sweet shops. In those days there were no super marts to sell it. An all vegetarian Thursday became easier for us siblings with paneer-potato curry on our plate. From then, till date we enjoy it. I usually get my paneer here from the Mustafa Centre, the frozen packs. We also get fresh paneer supply here, the price per kilogram is just double. I am just fine with the Nanak's & Kohinoor's frozen product; so good are they that I may not enjoy the Kolkata Sweet Shop's paneer varieties anymore! I do not go to Kolkata for paneer, not for anything I get here but for the fresh water fish varieties; which are sold frozen here! I must have paneer in stock, I would love it more any day than eating a smelly sea fish! This MICROWAVE E PANEER SNACK has the simplest marination and is perhaps the easiest to cook. The only thing is we have to eat it immediately after been cooked to enjoy the crisp outside and soft inside feeling! For a vegan version, use Tofu instead!



INGREDIENTS :

PANEER : 250-300 GM [I USED A SLAB OF 200 GM]
DRIED HERB MIX : 1 TSP
ALL PURPOSE  SEASONING : 1/2 TSP
LEMON JUICE : 1 TBSP
MELTED BUTTER : 2-3 TBSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/4 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED

PROCEDURE :

Wash the paneer and add rest of all the ingredients to it!


Mix well and keep it covered for 1-2 hours!


I cooked the marinated paneer cubes in the microwave+grill option on my microwave machine; so had to place the low height wired stool inside!

On top of it, I kept the metal plate that had been greased and placed on it the marinated paneer cubes!


I cooked at 300 power, in microwave+grill option for 8-10 minutes. Done, serve after rubbing a bit more of lemon juice! Have immediately with some salad alongside!







 

1 comment :

  1. Looks great! I would like to try it with lots of lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete