Monday 20 December 2021

CHICKEN RICE IN MEMONI SPICE MIX


 OUR HUSKY BABY IS HOME; WHAT WOULD BE MUMMA COOKING?

This morning we meet our child after a year & half; he is home for few days and we are on cloud9!He remains the same weird; chose to beat mumma instead of kissing, refused to get clicked or call home back in Kolkata!He warns mumma of blocking her permanently if she keeps giving him missed calls! Mumma in turn is bothered about his pimpled face. Look wise, he remains same but in absence of mumma, he forgets or does not bother to buy an anti-pimple face wash; I see black scars all over his face and get sad! Then, a scratched face is not the reason for him to hide away from the camera; he turned like this for a few years now, I think since 2016, onwards!I literally had to beg for the click,but no he would not allow  you to click his face! Aha!I remember his father was exactly this, I have very few marriage pictures with him!




 Mumma wants to freeze moments, create memories, but how? The most surprising thing that happened this morning was he getting all three of us Husky T-Shirts; Cristine Didi's the priciest; that definitely needs a mention!She has almost looked after him like a mother, took very good care of him!


WITH AMOUNTING PRESSURE OF TENSION ABOUT THE SON TRAVELLING ALONE, I STILL COOKED A CHICKEN RICE TO MOCHAR PATURI!

When I visit the Mustafa Centre, I am in awe of the variety of the spice mixes, of different brands!At times, I wish to buy all of them!But I end up spoiling a lot because I cook simple with usual spices the Bengalis use.My favourite brand is Everest, that over MDH.In Singapore, I buy Mumtaz,Baba, Housebrand, Puttu, in turns!For long, I know Shan is a very good brand of spices & National too! Singapore, a very cosmopolitan, neutral city is the best place to taste different brands from various countries!Loving to cook meat & rice and also learning their history; I took to buy this Memoni Mutton Biryani spice mix, Kasba Rice Mix,Mandi Rice Mix!Then I felt, it should be one at a time!We also love our roti meals.Yesterday, a very tensed Sunday was spent eating homely!For our lunch we both had "lau er chokla boti, doi mach, dal"; I forgot to click! At night, I made some paratha to go with Raw Jackfruit Kebabs, leftovers from a delivery!



WHAT IS THIS CHICKEN RICE WITH MEMONI SPICE MIX?

I really did not learn about a Memoni style mutton biryani until recently; yet I reserve the right to call myself a food blogger!Recently, I have learnt it is a hot spice mix from the Memonis of the Gujarat & Sindh region of the Indian Subcontinent! Although, I found the Shan's mix quite mild!I have used chicken, instead of the mutton in this gluten-free, non-vegetarian rice & meat dish;CHICKEN RICE IN MEMONI SPICE MIX!Last Saturday, I did it & felt the rice was a bit overdone; not having the time to put in dum to get biryani, I stir fried the rice; its bound to break!


Last night, the sight of the broken rice irritated me & I decided to remake it today! Why not? The cooked chicken was there, the son arrived in the morning, the man obviously had taken a leave! Lets do it then, in way lesser time than a biryani takes!

Few similar Recipes from the blog:






INGREDIENTS :

BASMATI RICE : 11/2 COFFEE MUG
CHICKEN : 1 KG
POTATO : 2
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 3-4
CHOPPED TOMATO : 1 MEDIUM TEA CUP
BEATEN PLAIN YOGURT : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
ONION PASTE : 3 -4 TBSP
GINGER PASTE : 2 TBSP
GARLIC PASTE : 2-3 TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
MEMONI MUTTON SPICE MIX : 2-3 TBSP
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 ONE INCH SIZE
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
CLOVE : 3-4
BLACK CARDAMOM : 1
STAR ANISE : 1
MACE : 2-3
BAY LEAF : 3-4
SALT : AS REQUIRED
GHEE : 2 TBSP
ROSE WATER : 2 TSP
OIL : 3 TBSP

PROCEDURE :


I washed & marinated the chicken with the turmeric+red chilli+cumin+coriander powders+ginger & garlic pastes, salt!At least for an hour it needs to be marinated!


We will heat the oil in a wok & temper with a bay leaf! Thereafter, we will add the onion paste, salt & little of turmeric!


I added the chicken, stir cooked at low heat for 7-8 minutes! I added the washed & chopped tomatoes, some peeled & washed potato cubes, the Memoni spice mix, slitted green chillies & the beaten yogurt!




I stir cooked for a while and cover cooked at minimal heat for 20-25 minutes!


I washed the rice with water & boiled in salted water along with bay leaves, both cardamom varieties, cinnamon sticks, cloves, mace & star anise.

After cooking about 70-75% of it, Cristine strained it in a colander!



I took half of the rice in a microwave proof bowl; added the chicken, potatoes, rose water & some ghee!







Then, I topped it with rice again, added some ghee & rose water! I covered it with a microwave proof lid!


Then, I cooked it at 600 power for 10-12 minutes in microwave mode!




Keep at rest for sometime before serving hot with raita & salad on the side!




No comments :

Post a Comment