Wednesday 19 April 2023

SPICED FISH & CHIPS



I AM PRETTY BUSY THIS WEEK BUT THE BLOGPOSTS SHOULD COME IN TIME!

There is no compulsion though, I just enjoy the exercise! What else fruitful do I do? That is a hurt is true! It is also true I do not find myself eligible enough to go and seek for a job! What to do with a computer I do not know, I fear! I only know to update a blogpost & search stuffs! How I wasted the father's hard earned money taking admission in the British Institutes there at the Dalhousie Square! That was the early 90's I remember! It is 2023, the same fear conquers me! Except for literature, Sociology, History, Psychology; no textual subjects interest me! Why did I study Political Science I do not know! I was a good employee for the school managements I worked for until every work was done manually & kids learnt by rote! The moment computer took over, I felt like I do not fit in! Yet the school wanted me but I had such a feeling of inadequacy that I left! Had I not leave, I might have learnt technology as much as required for my job! But they were not letting me teach my choice of subjects! My readers know this all, because I met an ex-colleague yesterday, all the wrong decisions I took with regards to my academics shrouded my mind! To top that, it was too hot the entire night & that lingering neck & shoulder pain! Do not know what more the Kolkata weather has to give me! I am not bothering much, I would meet my family, friends, the doctors and one month would go! I hear people are staying indoor there, this is what pisses me off! I visit Kolkata once a year, I should be able to go out freely & roam around!

I AM BASICALLY A LAZY BRAT!

Else no excuse is strong enough not to earn independently on the present day! Who ever we are, what ever the family situation is, we must earn! We must unless the family owns a company & everyone in the family has been given some position in it! I liked it how Messi's entire family is involved in making what he is today! I really like how the parents spotted his talent, struggled to get him here & now when it is paying back time, the sports star is doing it royally! The middle-class that I am, I have no idea the amount of money he earns, but I like it that his entire family including the in-laws are part of his empire! At this time, my only aim & urge is to get my son good education & job without any disturbance; this is a requirement for himself to upgrade way above the family! Also, he has to live his father's dream wherein the academics is concerned! Until my death, I would believe T had to have a lot more degrees before plunging onto a job! He had the capability; every child with fair brain should get the opportunity to attain higher academic degrees! Also, those with average brains should be at least a graduate! Else, the world may not be able to move forward! I indulge in such discussions by default, because our mother & grandma immensely respect academics! If by academics they mean degrees after degrees, be it; what is the harm? It has been proved time & again degrees are important, let us not equate it with the wealth one has attained! Two are different & both are required for a good life! How I wished the brother to have that urge to do better in life, he had the capability too! Mumma sleeps well because the son has this urge, only that she cannot be at peace having a mental ailment of anxiety!

WHAT IS THIS SPICED FISH & CHIPS?

I am too fond of the traditional fish & chips! In fact, I am fond of fish & choice of meats' breaded fries, okay batter fries too unless I get to see oil on the top layer! For long, I did not know Kolkata Caterers' style "fish butter fry" is actually 'fish batter fry"! I am too fond of fries & fritters, even the Kolkata street vendor's lentil fritters! But I do not eat out much whilst in Kolkata, I fear stomach ailments & now I hear about the unbearable heat there! Also, the fries of Malancha have lost the pride! The parents did not take us to eat out much, I hardly would want to travel to Mitra Cafe or Allen's Kitchen or Golbari! Truly speaking; on this day, I cook a meat or fish fry at home; well cleaned & marinated! I would stick to that! Only that, I do not get to feed exotics to my family & friends in Kolkata; I do not enjoy working hard there; I just want to roam around there; have Bhelpuri, Chitrakut, Mishti Doi, Biryani, Pattice & Pastries! But Kolkata cakes seem too sweet to me! The stomach refuses too much of outside food! You can call it both a poor digestive system & taking pride in my cooking spree! If I buy a Moglai Porota at 4-5 pm, who would share it with me? Then, those flies, dust, logged water! Listen to me, try my style SPICED FISH & CHIPS! No restaurant would wash the fillets this well & marinate this good, the actual recipe does not call for mixed spice marination either! It is a non-vegetarian, fish fillet snack recipe which the West eat as a main dish along with French fries! But you can see, I did the plating differently! At this point, I left home for Kushi's at Hougang! There was a long queue for the Hari Raya, also I forgot to take the card! The girls told me there would be long queues until the weekend! I had my first meal, "bhaja bhuji", all veg items & tehC! Just because I missed adding the word teh-C-kosong, they added sugar!




As a first meal, it is a poison to have but I wanted it this way! On my way back, I walked & a 6:5 km took me 1hr15 minutes! The "sheem" were too young! On my walk, assisting me was an old time favourite, 'main na bhulunga, main na bhulungi"! "samay ki dhara mein, umar bah jani hai, jo ghari ji lenge, woh reh jani hai!" I have to learn this song!



INGREDIENTS :

FIRM WHITE FISH FILLET : 7-8 
LEMON JUICE : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
CHAAT MASALA : 1 TSP
GINGER EXTRACT : 2 TBSP
GARLIC EXTRACT : 2 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
REFINED FLOUR : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
CORN FLOUR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
OIL : 200 ML OR ENOUGH TO DEEP FRY

PROCEDURE : 

I used Nile fish cuts, boneless that I got from the Fairprice Xtra, it's good for batter & breaded fries!

I washed the fish fillets & marinated with salt alone for an hour & then washed thoroughly! This is done to get rid of any smell!

Thereafter, I marinated the fish fillets with crushed black pepper, salt, lemon juice, ginger & garlic extract / juice! Keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, covered! Take out half an hour before frying!


For the batter, I took the refined & corn flour, chilli+cumin+coriander powders+chaat masala+salt in a bowl & mixed well! I added water little at a time & prepared a thick batter! I kept it aside for 10-15 minutes!

I heated enough oil in the wok, dipped each of the marinated fish fillet in the batter, coated well & deep fried in medium to low heat, else the inside would not be done well!

We would keep them on the tissue paper before serving & having!


Instead of deep frying the potatoes, I washed & cut both the potatoes & broccolinis; marinated with salt+chilli powder+dry mango powder+oil & kept aside for 10-15 minutes! I placed them in an oven proof plate in a single layer & had put atop the wired stool, the low height one inside the oven! I cooked one side microwave+grill combo for 12-15 minutes! I turned them over & cooked for another 8-10 minutes! The broccolini got a little overcooked! Better you cook them separately! 

I served the platter with a Bengali style raw mango-chilli-mustard sauce!








No comments :

Post a Comment