Sunday 28 January 2024

SPICY VEGETABLES AND CHICKEN SOUP




I COOKED AND DID THIS FEATURE SOME TWO YEARS BACK!

Thereafter, I kept sharing this and that, getting this spicy soup recipe to the blog wasn't happening. It is CNY celebrations approaching in this island, this share should be appropriate. Thereafter, I can get something for our Saraswati Puja. Also, I believe to prove a point, we need not insult someone sitting right beside, specially if that someone is clueless about your tricks and plans. We need not hurt people without any valid reason. If you do that, I do not take it kindly. Anyway, we can take the liberty of preparing soups as per our taste buds, I do not get the energy to. I remember, though Cristine had cut all of the vegetables, washed them and also the chicken, I found the process pretty time consuming. You may laugh at it, because you have seen me cooking way more time consuming recipes. I think about two aspects; the purpose of my blog, the motto of my life. Yet, I have deviated much from that purpose, I blog about curry puffs, breads, etc. Cake baking, making of jam & jelly were always there in the family; I am baking cakes since the end of the 80's, our mother had been making jam & jelly since the early or mid 80's. At this home, we would never get away with the Bengali Cooking, as long as I am alive. Besides, I would be cooking recipes that attract me. I learnt to cook a variety because I was bringing up our boy on whose plate I wished to serve a variety of colourful food. I think I did a fair job, our mother too did a lot of cooking for us. The only difference is that our parents did not allow us a bit of outside food, I did not   apply such restrictions in our son's life. Ever since he went to the college, no such titbits / snacks come to our home on a regular basis. Last month, when he came I did get but he wasn't having them much.

IT IS A SUNDAY EVENING, I WOULD REMAIN OCCUPIED TOMORROW EVENING!

Yes, we can have dinner dates on a Monday evening. In this island, commuting is not an issue. To sit somewhere outside of your home, after the office is not a big deal. I do not even work, neither do I have a school going child at home. I have also learnt from our mother that once the kids are back from the school, mothers should not be loitering outside. They are to sit near their studying kids. Though a friendly person with a non-stop chatting ability and a love for it, our father would come straight home from the office. Only that, on Sundays, instead of taking us out, he would go here and there to play the bridge game. Neither I, nor my brother had much of complain about it. My only complain is that he never did dream big for his children, neither worked towards it, nor guided us towards it. You have to inspire your kids to surpass you. The warm, good, honest, a man of character is no more with us! Deviating from his happy go lucky nature, I expect our son to be an achiever, also be a nice human being like his maternal grandfather, have a meticulous, skilful mind like his paternal grandfather! Breads our father did not like, do not know if he would want soup with roti had he been alive. The mother enjoys soups, so does the mother-in-law. Though the father stayed in Kolkata since his college life, he could never belong to the city, Bangladesh ruled his heart forever. Our father's side and my mother-in-law's side carry Bangladesh in their hearts! He however loved various paratha / roti / tandoori roti with meat kebabs & tarka dal. I had to leave my family behind for a better future for our son. The son too left home to explore the world, we cannot expect him be around always. He does not talk regular to us is my hurt.

WHAT IS THIS SPICY VEGETABLES AND CHICKEN SOUP?

I do enjoy chicken clear soups with a dash of crushed black pepper. On that evening, I wished to prepare a desi style soup with the regular spice powders we use in the kitchen. Of course, it suited my taste bud, the rest in the family loved it too. I want the son to prepare this and eat with toasted bread. My readers would not believe that we are not clear about his regular intakes. I had a feeling on his last visit that he does not eat much of rice and curry, for a mother who loves to cook for the family, you know it is heart breaking. I fear what years of eating out would do to his health. Anyway, this non-vegetarian, thick bowl of SPICY VEGETABLES AND CHICKEN SOUP is sure to catch your fancy if you are fond of desi curries. In a case otherwise, adjust the amount of spices.

Few other similar recipes from my Blog you may like can be these; TOMATO EGG DROP SOUPBENGALI STYLE CHICKEN STEWPEPE BATA DIYE PATHAR JHOL



INGREDIENTS :

SHREDDED CHICKEN : ONE COFFEE MUG
CELERY STALK : 2-3
CHOPPED LETTUCE : ONE COFFEE MUG
SLICED CARROT : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
SLICED ONION : 2-3 TBSP + 1 SMALL TEA CUP
CUBED POTATO : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
CUBED TOMATO : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SKINLESS GARLIC CLOVE : 4-5
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/2 TSP
GINGER PASTE : 2 TSP
BUTTER : 1 TBSP
REFINED FLOUR : 2 TBSP [CORNFLOUR WOULD DO ALSO]
SALT : AS REQUIRED
TOMATO KETCHUP : 2-3 TBSP
OIL : 2-3 TBSP

METHOD :


It was a good idea to take vivid pictures of the steps of the making this soup. 

I had some chicken ribs lying in the freezer! I washed them well, took in a saucepan, added 2 coffee mugs of water and a little of salt. I had put the ribs for boil.

Once the chicken meat got tender, I took it down and let it cool. I had strained it to get the chicken stock.

Meanwhile, Cristine did cut and wash the vegetables, put them all in the pressure cooker; added 2 coffee mugs of water, the cumin+coriander+red chilli+turmeric powders, the ginger paste & some salt.


I pressure cooked it up to 4-5 whistles keeping the heat at the minimal. Once cool, I blended it in batches.

Listen folks, I am not in the habit of cooking soups regular, did not have the idea that the vegetables would release a lot of water. So, when you pressure cook them, add less of water.


I heated 2-3 tbsp of oil in a wok, added & fried 1 small tea cup of the onions.

I had shredded the boiled chicken and added to the wok. I had stir cooked for 3-4 minutes, added some crushed black pepper & the tomato ketchup. I stir cooked for another 1-2 minutes.

I had added the pureed vegetables to the shredded chicken stir fry and folded in well. 

Thereafter, I added the refined flour to the chicken stock, beaten well and added to the soup thats simmering. 

We would give a stir and adjust the salt only if required. I had let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes! 

Thereafter, I added the butter, gave a stir and took it down.

You may serve and have it hot with toasted bread or chapati.
















No comments :

Post a Comment