Friday 26 October 2018

GHEE MAWA CAKE


At this home.... most of the celebrations are in between the month of October and December.... thereafter it continues with the brother's birthday in January. They rightly say that be it a celebration or festival.... it is continuous.... I say .... there is only one life... live it.... saying this I am again not taking into consideration those majority of the mass for whom each day is a struggle to get a plate of rice or two chapatis.... Those of who criticise a Mother Teresa saying she did everything to attain sainthood.... stop your nonsense... I am not bothered about her or similar others' intentions.... that many a homeless got / get food, shelter, health care is good enough reason to support them. Yes, in my country of birth... NGOs do misuse funds, the reason I hesitate to transfer money online without knowing the organisation well... its my husband's hard earned money. I wish to put in my labour for such concerns instead .... the selfish self is waiting for the son to reach somewhere.... my kinds can never be care givers... their self comes first to them.... Those of us who were wearing heavy silks and jewelries worth lakhs of rupees were not willing to donate 10-20 dollars to "dhaki da"... the drummer in the Durga Pooja venue... I like those who are unlike me! It feels great to know that some of the Kolkata Pooja Committees came forward to include the needy, visually impaired, unfortunate women in the pooja affairs.... good move indeed!

Coming to the celebration part, today is indeed a special day at this home! While S prepares some good food on this day every year, she is limping around. As you know I am the one who lacks common sense...... yesterday, I gave my indoor plants a water bath, then totally forgot all about it... obviously this humpty dumpty had a great fall in that spilled water. She injured her right knee bone.


Should she stop cooking now and serve the family a "dimer jhol bhat"?.... No, she will not! The family will neither pamper her knee nor will rebel for having egg curry and rice... they are accommodative if it is not a vegetarian meal. I cannot sit just like that today.... planning for some prawn cutlets, shahi paneer, mutton kheema rice, parantha and a chocolate cake for dinner. If the pain does not come on my way, I will. It is not proving anything to anyone.... I love cooking and more on special days! Few days back I prepared a rich chocolate cake for the family and I was to meet someone, it tasted well but I do not know where I went wrong, it fluffed up and then went down.... Today's one too I will not blog about... you know if blog about it... I may add pistachios and rose syrup to chocolate... The world needs "maitreyi"... Come keep your hands on mine and atop one more and continue! As of now let us enjoy with this GHEE MAWA CAKE I prepared last month. It really came out well, tasted like a barfi cake... hahaha! 

As for my knee, it will take some time to recover. Cristine has given me a pain relieving oil and that pain removing strip.... my weird boy told "besh hoyeche".... he does not even tell us if he gets hurt in the school or if he feels sick unless it is serious... he has gone after his father. Mumma had been pampered thoroughly by her mother.... the mother who cried inconsolably when she saw her married daughter takes bread butter and apple to her work place everyday, that no one offers her a "lebur shorbot" once she came back home around 1:30pm thirsty, hungry. I told her several times to stop... Mani, the daughter at that home cooks her own food back from office while her mother watches television! However, our mother continues to prepare "doier ghol" for her 41 year old son, the reason why he is not moving to my favourite city Mumbai after repeated calls from the company. The brother who was beaten hard by the father at age 8-9 for dancing to the tune of "I am a disco dancer" at the Durga Pooja Pandal. A middle class Bengali father did not know that a "one two ka four, four two ka one" and immense hard work got people mansions in Mumbai to other major cities of the world, high end cars perhaps for each member of the family... while my brother has to remain happy with his tiny red beauty from Hyundai... losing his Samsung cell phone while boarding crowded trains. Anyway, do not compare your kids, it is my brother who took care of his parents, continues to. Take note that his father ironed his trouser a day before he went to the state of coma... haha! Coming from that home, I have to cook some goodies today, I cannot sit idle with my legs stretched!

Did my husband caress my wound... nah.... do I expect? I do very much... Am I hurt? A bit, not much because I know when things are serious, he will take me on his shoulders if required and lay me down only at the hospital bed... he did carry the 70kg me in a stretcher to the third floor when I got back home with our one week old monkey... we did not have a lift in that building. Except for his sister, no one in his family know how to speak softly, how to win hearts with some kind words.... Be a little strict with your daughters, you do not know where she lands in future! Anyway... take a look at the "kumro phools" on my pumpkin plant. These are my simple pleasures. I did fry them but you know each one of us need 5-6.... so not satisfied!



What is satisfying is that I am gradually coming out of the madness of getting viewership to the blog.... I mean this "ghanta pooja" is really getting tiresome.... When I wish to go for a walk, I force myself to stay back thinking this is the best time for sharing... that is stupidity and surely taking a toll on my health and in the weight loss mission... I should enjoy blogging and finally decide to share only on my personal streams some day. I am really concerned and worried about some extremely skilled bloggers who had thousands of followers in Google Plus.... which is going to be shut down. Off course, it is good to be teamed up with them in Face Book...  I wish to stay put with my friends' food posts even though I do not interact much. Most of the time I miss their posts because I do not look around.... Like I remember another ace blogger from Mumbai Moumita Kundu Malla blogged about a Mawa Cake some two years back.... I read then if not now... I do not even get to see her posts these days... she also has the habit of vanishing from the scene like one of my sister like.... and I eventually lost track. So, this GHEE MAWA CAKE is my creation.... may be on similar lines with others... but I did not consult any recipe recently.... This home is on a celebration mode today, so let us all enjoy with a piece of GHEE MAWA CAKE done with clarified butter, semi-solidified milk, brown sugar, green cardamom powder ... very few ingredients... right?


INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE INSTANT MAWA / SEMI SOLIDIFIED MILK]

POWDERED MILK : 2SMALL CUP
CLARIFIED BUTTER / GHEE : 4TBSP [I USE LESS THAN RECOMMENDED]
FULL CREAM MILK : 5-6TBSP
SUGAR : 1TBSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE CAKE]

THE MAWA
BROWN SUGAR : 1SMALL CUP [ALTERNATIVELY NORMAL SUGAR]
REFINED FLOUR : 1COFFEE MUG
FULL CREAM MILK : 1MEDIUM CUP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1TSP
GHEE : 1SMALL CUP
BAKING POWDER : 1TSP
BAKING SODA : 1/4TSP

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the semi-solidified milk first. Take the powdered milk, 5-6 tbsp full cream milk and 4 tbsp clarified butter in a bowl and mix well.


Microwave the mixture at high for 3-4 minutes, pausing and stirring every 1 minute.


To it add 1 small cup of ghee / clarified butter and 1 small cup of brown sugar and a cup of milk thereafter.




I had beaten the entire content for 5 minutes with a tablespoon. I got this.


Hold a clean, big strainer just above the batter containing bowl. Pour the refined flour, baking powder and soda on it . Mix lightly and strain.


Mix together the batter very well. Add the green cardamom powder and mix well again. That is what we get.




Preheat oven to 180*C. Pour the the batter into a cake tin. Poor bakers like me should always use aluminium foils.


Place the cake tin onto the low stool meant for baking in a convection mode microwave. Bake at 180* for 30 minutes first and then 5-8 minutes more if required!


Let cool and enjoy with tea or coffee!




No comments :

Post a Comment