Wednesday 20 March 2019

KAJU KISHMISH NARKOL BHORA KHASTA KOCHURI



I felt with the outcome of the snacker yesterday evening... I am planning it since Sunday "karon aaj amader nyarapora kaal amader dol"... We had a happy meal, only that I missed the husband who definitely would have liked it. Hence, it is to be done soon again... may be the next weekend. I was hopeful about doing this dry kochuri, wanted a right kind of dough and be totally relaxed too while preparing them. You can see they are not designer ones... I did what I am comfortable in... just stuffed and shaped them round. To enjoy at least four of them, we need some workouts... although it does not work that way... I am telling you it does not... After a 10.5 km of walk yesterday afternoon, I had a soul satisfying meal with "mutton curry, radish, dal, papad, bandung" at an Indo-Malaysian joint located just at the back of our home. I like their rice meals. All of that pride of a long walk in the sun went into the river. I am that way but.... life is short and I cannot limit it to something I do not wish to. 

Like, these days I got calculative about mingling with people... I study intents and who is how much willing to give it for me or my family ... if I am not satisfied, I prefer to be formal .... The happy loner self walked to her old neighbourhood yesterday.... she goes every 15 days for her eyebrows to be done. Menopause is not a concern but the super fast greying is.... Anyway, I finished my work there and did not have my favourite Bento Box at 5 dollars. Ask me why? I wished to walk back home which is not possible with a loaded stomach. Any sincere health watcher would have eaten a carb free lunch but I am the one who will cook, eat and do just a little of cardio. Like today & tomorrow, I will swim.... its a lazy body that functions in slow motion and I am indulgent about it. The adventure was inventing few "thoka togor er gach" on the way and tearing a branch on my way back .... Handing it over to Cristine at the gate, I went for my lunch.... back home it was waiting for the son to come from the school and then starting with the preparation of KAJU KISHMISH NARKOL BHORA KHASTA KOCHURI. It was a fun project specially the thought of surprising the son with an uncanny dinner was making me happy.... did not our mother do the same for her 'petuk' daughter?.... my little brother was never a foodie as such.




Excuse me if my life, my likings resemble with any of my readers or their "beau's"..... I really do not know or that much interested in others' lives... but can understand how protective and possessive one can get about certain things... at least I am that way... I do not like sharing what I love or you can say I decide who to share with. Leave that... you cannot analyse the weird, silly nerd in me... let me carry the  heavy burden called "I,Me,Myself" alone... another 15-20 years left or may be less.... let us enjoy life. Totally believing in getting the maximum out of life, I had to have that amount of dinner yesterday, as if the "doier ghol" and the salad is going to help me out from the negative effect of a deep fried snacker.... but tomorrow is Dol / Holi.... I must think of my readers who celebrate it. This home does not play, I will pay my homage to my ladoo Gopal with some colours... thats it! How is the morning today? Coming to food again... Kodo Millet Idli went to the son's lunch box, I had to have it with my black coffee and one left over dry 'kochuri' too. Life is good!



For, the KAJU KISHMISH NARKOL BHORA KHASTA KOCHURI, we require few ingredients... some spices, shredded coconut, cashew nuts, raisins, refined flour, ghee, oil and done. I wanted to be particular about the dough and again watched a youtube video by one Sourav from Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's team.... kneading of the flour with ghee is the secret key for the best textured shingara / samosa .... which I forget at times while preparing them and is left unhappy! This time I did not want bubbles on the kochuri skins. I am eager to share the recipe... oh! how divine the filling smelt... I felt like I am standing at "Ultadangar more with a thonga full of khasta kochuri from the VIP Sweets?".... It has one of its biggest outlet within 200 metres of our Kolkata home... in between Arsalan & Aminia... "karey chairya karey chumu khamu kou"....



INGREDIENTS : [for the filling]

Shredded Coconut : 11/2medium tea cup
Cashew Nut : 6-7 [chopped]
Raisin : 10-12 [chopped]
Coriander Seed : 1tbsp
Cumin Seed : 1tsp
Dry Red Chilli : 2-3
Sugar : 1/2tsp
Salt : 1/4tsp
Ghee : 2tbsp

INGREDIENTS : [for the dough]

Refined Flour : 11/2 coffee mug
Ghee : 2-3 tbsp
Salt : 2-3pinch
Water : As Required

INGREDIENTS : [for the kochuri]

The Filling
The Dough
Oil to deep fry!

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the dough first.

Take the flour & salt in a wide mouthed bowl and mix well.

Melt the ghee and pour onto the flour. It needs to be lukewarm.


Be careful when you touch, remember it should be lukewarm and not hot.


Now mix well and keep rubbing with your right palm. Come on do not smell your fingers while at work... although the ghee smells divine.


After 3-4 minutes, it will get crumbly. Add water very little at a time and keep kneading.


It will take some 10 minutes to prepare the correct dough which needs to be harder than an usual one for 'luchi-porota'... this is important.


We will cover it with a clean towel for 20 minutes.


For the filling, we will heat 2tbsp ghee in a wok. We will add the shredded coconut to it.


After 3-4 minutes of constant stirring, it will turn light brown in colour and your kitchen will smell heaven.


Store it  and let cool.


Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and grind to a coarse powder. I had previously done, cannot furnish the pictures... do not store this spice powder for more than a week... loses the aroma.

Add it to the fried coconut. Microwave the cashew nuts for 30 seconds and chop. Cut small the raisins. Add both to the spiced & fried coconut. Add the salt, sugar.... mix well.


Now remove the cover from the dough and knead well again for 2-3 minutes.



Tear out small portions and press in between your palm.


Smoothen in between your palms and make a hollow.


Fill in with the filling and press with the back of your spoon. Now close both the ends.



Get a round shape for each. Cristine helps a lot at this stage.



Now "warm" the oil in a wok and deep fry the kochuri / snack in batches. Keep on to tissue papers before serving hot. We have to add them to the oil when it's just warm & not hot & fry slowly! That would  get them a hard coverage!



Serve & have with your choice of condiments!










No comments :

Post a Comment