Thursday, 1 October 2026

STAR-FRUIT SHAPED DEEP FRIED SNACK



I feel satisfied today, after long I prepared something that requires bit of precision! Each of recipes I blog about is precious, its festive time, this Bengali fried snack called "Elojhelo" is apt to be shared with my loving readers. Its not what you have breaking fast. Keep your trust in me, I am soon to get you fasting recipes. Next fifteen days, I would be sharing recipes that suits our occasions! I wouldn't wait for Thursdays, would share randomly! I prefer calling myself an Indian, in love with Singapore! My ancestral root is Bengali, hence started celebration with this Bengali fried snack recipe.

For brunch, I had two giant idlis; love instantly made semolina + rice flour + yogurt + fruit salt idli in microwave oven! Semolina made idli, dhokla, cakes, dry upma do I love. Having bread omelette around 3:30 pm wasn't required, but I had, I must eat 3 meals a day!


Man is on medical leave today! He went for tooth extraction. If he is at home, I am bound to get distracted whilst writing, television set is on, forever! Requested son to call, he would do just opposite of what his mother asks him to. But he gifted us too good score in MS! Any of my readers, if you are in tech industry, our son is software engineer looking for decent job in tech field, if you may get lead, message me! Degrees must be put to application, not rest to in locker!


I enjoy local fried rices sans overpowering sauces. Yesterday, had in afternoon, out of fear had mango + oats at night. Mango has high amount of sugar, calorie, I can't resist. I have lethargy about cooking soups, chopping salad! 

Pasta is good, vermicelli upma too, but roti-prata-poori is love. I make them pretty well. Upma varieties Cristine prepares mostly, also good at handmade breads, not chapati, naan. 

This week at Woodleigh Mall, from a stall named Western Boy, I had garlic bread, mushroom soup. I am fond of, this tasted bit bland, salty. The banana pie I liked.


                     


                      
From a stall outside of Kovan Mall, I had spring roll, salted bun, teh-o-kosong or kopi-o-kosong! I wonder how turnip and mushroom stuffing with no spices made love with my tastebuds.

The ice-cream came home on gentleman's request. In fact, dentists ask you to have after tooth extraction. When son lived with us, these came regular, I made low caloric ice-creams too, some recipes are in blog. I have stopped doing these. Who would eat?


We don't know where life would take us, what waits for us tomorrow, in fact, next moment! I only wish my loved ones stay happy, healthy; live long! I pray for every human on earth few times, each day; also for animal world free from our interference. I don't get how loving them, invading their space happen together.  I ain't comfortable about keeping pit bulls as pet, don't love animals that much where I may risk my baby at their mercy, neither can think of harming them. I suggest, keep as pet, domesticate who are meant to be!

What you get today is Bengali "Elojhelo Nimki" / "Kamranga Nimki" / Starfruit shaped deep fries! This is popular titbit among us, rarely done in family! Lets call it STAR-FRUIT SHAPED DEEP FRIED SNACK! Its vegan recipe, I would gift gluten-free food sooner, thats my usual trend, right? Actually, ghee / clarified butter is used for this recipe, I skipped; can't digest ghee. Also, I am fond of thinner, smaller, original "nimki","madan kotkoti", refined flour+thick skinned+ghee+deep fried stuffs don't my digestive system, I love! Whatever we love wouldn't be friendly with us, this is law of universe; if we can accept it, life would be at peace! Not at any cost we can lose grace, take wrong routes to get what we want. What is not mutual would never last, and thats fine, we are humans, life need not be picture perfect!





INGREDIENTS :

REFINED FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
KALONJI / KALOJEEREY / NIGELLA SEED : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2 TBSP + 50 ML [USING GHEE GIVE BEST FLAVOUR]

PROCEDURE :


Take refined flour, salt, nigella seeds in wide-mouthed bowl, give good mix.

Add 2 tbsp oil or ghee, rub for 2-3 minutes, if you can hold together flour, the "moyan" is right. 

Add water at room temperature, little by little, knead well to get a tight dough!

Cover for 10-15 minutes. Remove cover, knead for a minute, tear off balls. Smoothen between palms.

Make poori shapes, not too thick or thin. Make slits, leaving two ends.

Carefully fold from sides, do not press hard. Twist the two ends.

Warm rest of oil, do not let it hot. Drop gently one or two snack, they should get room to move freely.

Fry at slow heat for longer period to get crisp fried snack, else they become soggy like poori!

Once cool, store in container, would be edible for a week. 

Never reheat or refrigerate. It softens!






No comments :

Post a Comment