Wednesday 15 May 2019

DRIED COCONUT AND DRY FRUIT STUFFED PRATA


I will repeat again I am not that good with stuffed flat breads. This  does not mean I will not try them in my own convenient way... I love cooking and do not find it as boring as mathematics, science or academics in general.... this trying to perfect cooking is spontaneous and may be genetic. This particular shape of flat bread was used to be made when the mother served us CHINIR POROTA ..... sugar stuffed flatbread, one of the most viewed recipes on my blog CURRY AND SPICE ! Actually, the above is my Plan C for yesterday. Plan A was to prepare Dhakai Porota which gave me irritation as I proceeded towards the mid noon. So I sketched a Plan B which was Aloor Dom stuffed Pav Buns, it had the tension of not looking smooth on top. I have to try it in accordance with the instructions given by a blogger friend and then will think. The Plan C, a vegetarian stuffed bread DRIED COCONUT AND DRY FRUIT STUFFED PRATA seemed easier because I am used to doing it and watching it been done since decades. I went for a hair do yesterday afternoon, after a 2 hours of indulgence in a dark room, on a cosy couch I was unwilling to get my sweat glands get too active in the kitchen. They did and I do not bother. The only thing which is normal in my entire body is my blood pressure level, yet I sweat way too much may be because of the excess fat deposit. I will sweat more in the kitchen is normal and I am not bothered about it anymore. I am not so keen on going for a whole body check up as prescribed by old doctor Chang, but I definitely can prepare some prata for him which he loves as much as he loves Biryani. The entire island nation heavily depends on food courts including Dr.Chang's family of doctors but he always asks me or in all probability to all of his patients to eat home cooked food. 

The problem with me is that I eat double when I am happy. Look at how I am having a stale, reheated prata with tea after having a big one just 10 hours back. Last Sunday, I prepared a milk bread and had to have a big slice on the Monday morning. What is the reason for an extra dose of happiness? Last week I got home one more hibiscus and too much of a favourite "Bel phool er chara".... I confuse between the two; which one is Jasmine? ... Jui or Bel? Are Mogra & Jasmine same? I am happy on the mornings I see few more flowers on my hedge. I come from a home who never had to buy flowers required for the daily prayers, so it is natural. I remember, "didu jao to chad theke koyekta sheem perey niye esho ba bagan theke kota lebupata".... even my cousin who roams around in a half pant and spaghetti strapped tops somewhere in the streets of the Bahargaon will not deny that she had "echorer dalna" with jack fruits freshly cut from their garden or her maternal grandfather grew the best "Tarmuz" big and red with his own hands somewhere in Nagarukhra, a few miles interior to Kanchrapara, can be accessed from Habra too. I sincerely hope she keeps doing "koraishutir kochuri" in her kitchen, share the pictures often just as much as of  her sprawling bungalow in a snow clad valley, "arey koi neighbours dikhta bhi nehi, bhoot-pret ayega to chillakey bhi koi faida nehi.... bhoot chasing, they driving 20 miles to reach a friend's home... eeijonyoi era lanka theke aloo chash shob shikhey nei, mudi dokantao to pach kilometre durey".... Nope, I am not jealous of her but definitely will keep a distance with those who "indulge in 'kondols'"..... I hate it "para byarano, khobor shongroho and then kan-bhorano"..... Isn't it better to indulge in doing what I enjoy?





"Aloo r chokh kete lagiyechi, tori-tarkari chash oto shoja noi".... potato needs cooler weather right? The maternal grandfather had magic in his hands because he hailed from a farmer's family in Bangladesh. The husband has no idea with how much vigour childhood is knocking at my heart, dadu grew potato and turmeric too in season. I told my childhood buddy to shift again further to the interior to a bigger flat where a balcony is a must.... in this island commuting is not an issue. Yesterday, I prepared a DRIED COCONUT AND DRY FRUIT STUFFED PRATA at night, only after taking things under my control in tune with my convenience, you remember na how I did TOFU BHURJI STUFFED PARATHA sometime last year? We will require few ingredients like multi grain atta, refined flour, dry coconut flakes, almond, cashew nut, walnut, pistachio, raisin, oil... thats it! Cristine did the kneading part and also helped me while frying them, else I would have been late! If you are having it for the lunch or brunch, take plain yogurt and a fruit of your choice.. suits better!



INGREDIENTS FOR THE STUFFING :

DRIED COCONUT FLAKE : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
RAISIN : 2TBSP
PISTACHIO : 2TBSP
WALNUT : 8-10
ALMOND : 1TSP [SLICED]
CASHEW NUT : 7-8
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1/4TSP

INGREDIENTS FOR THE PRATA :

THE STUFFING MIXTURE
REFINED FLOUR : 21/2 COFFEE MUG
MULTI GRAIN ATTA : 1/2 COFFEE MUG OR A LITTLE MORE
SALT : 1/2TSP
OIL : 11/2 TSP FOR EACH OF THE FLATBREAD

PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the stuffing mixture first. Take all the ingredients required for stuffing except for the dried coconut flakes and the green cardamom powder  on a heated tawa or wok first and stir for 1-2 minutes.



Now, add the dried coconut flakes and stir for a minute. You will see the mixture turning light brown. Transfer to a blender and let cool.

Pulse it to lightly break, we will not powder it.



We have already soaked the raisins in hot water 1/2 an hour earlier. We will drain all the water and take the broken roasted dry fruits + coconut flakes, green cardamom powder in a bowl and mix well.



For the dough, we will take both types of flour, salt, oil in a wide mouthed bowl.


We will mix them well and rub for 2 minutes. We will then add little water at a time and prepare a dough kneading well. This will take some 10 minutes and Cristine did this part for me.


Keep the dough covered for 15 minutes, remove cover. Tear off smaller portions and smoothen between hands.


Dust each ball, and roll out roundels with help of your rolling pin and base.


Fill in with the stuffing mixture keeping the edges free.


Now fold in and press to close tightly the ends.


Place each on a heated tawa and dry roast both sides until light brown, now add 11/2tsp oil for each prata / flatbread and cook until golden brown. "maa e diseni cutobelai aguner syaka? orom hoibo dogdogey ghaer muto poruter gaye".... 



If there is any trace of burnt dusting flour on the pan, we will just wipe before we proceed with doing the next one.


Try to have fresh if you do not have to go through a photo clicking session. 







No comments :

Post a Comment