Wednesday 12 June 2019

MUTTON REZALA


From the picture itself, my loyal followers, readers, friends will know these clicks were done sometime last year. I did not even take any stepwise pictures very much unsure whether to share it in the blog or not. My rezala recipes are not authentic as I use roasted white sesame seeds instead of poppy seed which is supposedly one of the main ingredients used in a Kolkata style rezala.... the yogurt & milk or cream based mutton or chicken gravy. Unfortunately, our island is yet to understand how indispensable posto / poppy seed can be even in a "Bangal's" life. To fill that void, I prepare "man kochu bata or til bata" often for myself.... the mother is here now so I got a partner. I think I can copy paste the ingredients list of my earlier blog post about CHICKEN REZALA, I have followed that recipe doing this one. So far I can remember, I followed a recipe of Times Food doing the dish with chicken. 

Two years back, I did not know how important it is to mention the recipe sources, so did not. We keep correcting our mistakes at different stages of our life which should not be a problem so long we are able to rectify our wrongs. Whose which wrong affects me how is a different issue, certain things are unacceptable to me, however, a non vegetarian side of MUTTON REZALA is at all times accepted at this home. 

Some of my friends may remember on my last visit to Kolkata I had it two times in the 20 days of span. On my visit next month, I may have it again or may be I will not get the time to.... I have piled up works to be done and the mother will not allow me to stay beyond 15 days as her grandson will not be travelling with us this time. From today his summer holidays starts and he is in front of the television early morning watching billions of stars and the planets. Neither mumma takes interest in what he enjoys nor he has any interest in assisting mumma & dimma to the nature park surrounded by water bodies they enjoyed to the fullest yesterday. Neither the mother nor me are the kinds who can enjoy the flowers in captivation at the Gardens by the Bay, I will take her there though!



The husband says I must have taken interest in what the son likes, keep myself updated so he can communicate with me on those matters. I know that is where I went wrong. I am still hopeful when I see mumma is required when there is a fly in his room, when he wants few dollars for a Mac or sushi treat, when there is a parent's call at school, when he wants a high quality gel pen.... so I can say we are connected.

Coming to the non vegetarian side with meat MUTTON REZALA, the plating you see in the pictures is not right. Kolkata loves to have it with rumali ruti , my inability to do it makes me serve it with a variety of porota, ruti, luchi. What you see in the pictures, "TIL NARKOL POTOLMAACHER ALOO PEYAZ CHOCCHORI" and whole urad dal is not to be served with it alongside rice. No rice variety goes with rezala, at least not in Bengal, just that I prepared all these on that particular day, thereafter all the tiredness grips me while clicking which is clear in the pictures you see. I miss so many details, the reason is same as in the case of my academics.. insincerity. 

I have not prepared rezala in the past few months, whenever I do it I make it sure to serve it with either naan, plain chapati, porota or luchi. "Mughlai Khana" as the Kolkatans call it is royal, too yum, heavy on your stomach.... all at the same time. So a "pati bangali" stomach should have it in gaps... Our good friend Joy Ghosh's cousin got married to a muslim guy who told him their family's day starts with gulab jamun. Both Joy and I are foodies who had to sacrifice their love for health reasons. When we meet, we talk endlessly about food to our friend T's utter disgust. We do not bother, we continue to talk and dream of an afterlife when we can endlessly eat pantua, rezala-rumali ruti, doi-maach. I have an addition... "ek thala bhaat o shutki maach" which the mother is going to cook in an hour from now, the unfortunate me has to eat it with "2 tbsp of brown rice".... how disgusting is that for an obese since birth you know.... 

I cannot quit my kind of food altogether and survive on oats, quinoa and salad alone, neither can I spend lakhs on the gym or health sphere like Twinkle Khanna.... I like this lady.... she is different in an industry where showing off is a norm.... she carries herself well, so well read, writes [I like her Sunday Times columns more than I did her "Pyjamas Are Forgiving"... the former is crisp, sharp and fearless].... what do I look for in people? "Class"..... as defined by "me".. I followed my recipe of chicken rezala doing this mutton dish, the marination time was more, the cooking time too!




INGREDIENTS :[FOR THE MARINATION] :

Mutton : 1kg
Plain Yogurt : 400 gm
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Salt : As required


INGREDIENTS :[FOR THE GRAVY] :

Cashew Nut : 8-10
Poppy Seeds : 1tbsp [those who stay in Singapore or Dubai, use white sesame seed of the same amount, I use roasted white sesame seeds]
Shredded Coconut : 1/2small cup
Onion Paste : 1 medium tea cup [of 2-3 medium sized]
Milk : 1/2 cup
Black Peppercorn :10
Whole Dried Red Chillies : 6-8
Cinnamon Stick : 3-4 one inch pieces
Green Cardamon : 4
Cloves : 4
Bay leaf : 1-2 medium sized
Kewra Water [attar] : 3-4 drops[ I substituted with Rose Water]
Sugar : 1tsp
Ghee [clarified Butter] :  4tbsp +2tsp
Hot Water : 2 medium tea cup


PROCEDURE :

Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly and marinate with beaten yogurt, salt, ginger paste. Keep covered at room temperature for about 3-4 hours, keeping refrigerated overnight is good but in this case I fear the change of colour to pale instead of the white.

Peel off and wash the onions and get a smooth paste out of it. Wash the poppy seeds or white sesame seeds through a strainer and get a paste along with the cashews and shredded coconut adding little water. [ In my case, I roasted the white sesame seeds]

Heat 4-5 tbsp ghee in a wok. Temper with a bay leaf, cinnamon,cardamom, black peppercorn, cloves. As they release the aroma, add the onion paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off. Wipe the marinade from the mutton pieces and add to the wok. Fry for 2-3 minutes at medium heat. Now add the marinade and lower the heat to minimum.

Stir and cover. Uncover and stir every 3 minutes, to avoid getting stuck to the bottom. When the mutton is half done, add 1/3rd of the poppyseed or roasted sesame seed - coconut- cashew nut paste and stir well. Let cook covered and at minimal heat for at least 40-45 minutes.  

Open cover and add the water . Cover for 2 more minutes. Open cover and add the remaining roasted sesame-coconut-cashewnuts paste. Let cook covered for not more than 5 minutes.

Now open the cover, add the milk, rose water and sugar. Stir and let cook for another 2 minutes. Add 1 tsp ghee and mix well. Switch off. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with whole dried red chillies.

Please note:
Since milk is used, it tends to spoil quickly, so eat it fresh.
Use rose water if you cannot take the strong smell of kewra water.
It has to be slow cooked all through and the gravy should be thicker.




No comments :

Post a Comment