Wednesday 19 June 2019

METHI DHONE PATAR POROTA



By the way, I never thought my style of managing home can be so applauded by the mother. That I cook in bulk and in variety on a Saturday was finally granted as a model, likely to be followed. She said she will follow it but my brother is not my husband or the son. He is fussy about food and I blame the mother for this. I still believe and tell her because of you he could never gather the courage to leave home and explore the world, his career got a setback for that. She is getting a lot of scolding of not setting a rule for me either to be economically independent. Her text book on Julius Caesar, the one that our father used to read to her during her BeD course lay still in a book rack for 45 years now, she got lost in washing mosquito nets, taking the son to and fro from different classes; swimming, cricket, school, meting out different demands of the daughter related to food. Now, I ask her to follow my model, take enough time out to read, not religious books alone but good literature, stop watching those damaging, insensible television serials. Okay, she watches more of the live shows. 

Coming to the point, she is thoroughly enjoying going out with me, specially to the wet markets, knowing local ingredients and following her mother loving to have "mishti bun ruti".... local bakery fresh buns. I may get fresh fenugreek to prepare a "methi begun" for her, may not be too eager to prepare METHI DHONEPATAR POROTA as such. I should be able to bake some cakes and breads before she leaves. I am enjoying when she says that the grandmother and my aunts are surprised to know I learnt to cook few  varieties. To the family, I am still that fat & lazy girl, the fact is  I am nearing menopause.



INGREDIENTS :

REFINED FLOUR : 3 COFFEE MUG
FRESH METHI / FENUGREEK LEAF : 2MEDIUM TEA CUP
FRESH DHONEPATA / CORIANDER : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
CAROM SEED / JOYAN : 1TSP
CUMIN SEED / JEERA : 1/2TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 2TBSP + 1TSP FOR EACH FLATBREAD / POROTA

PROCEDURE :

Take the refined flour, washed fresh coriander and fenugreek leaves, carom and cumin seeds in a wide mouthed bowl.


Mix well and add 2tbsp ghee / clarified butter and the salt as required to it.

Rub well for 2-3 minutes. Add water little by little and prepare a dough... smooth and firm. This may take some 10 minutes. They say using warm water to prepare a dough is a wiser idea, I am not so particular.


Cover the dough with a moist, clean cloth for 15-20 minutes. Open cover, tear off tennis ball sized portions from the dough, smoothen between your palms. There will be 10-11 standard sized balls.


Take refined flour in one bowl for dusting and ghee in another for cooking the porota.

Dust each ball with refined flour, roll out round shaped, Fold half, then again from the side.

Roll out again to give the desired triangular shape. Instead, you can keep a round shape too.

Heat a pan / tawa on stove top. Place a porota and roast well both the sides.




Add 1tsp ghee / oil and cook both sides well till brown. 






No comments :

Post a Comment