Wednesday 26 June 2019

YEAST FREE MILK BREAD O MUTTON FAT GHUGNI





Yeast is no more that unfriendly towards me but I am more comfortable doing cake like breads, a similar batter sans the sugar factor. I am going low on sugar these days, had a jilipi / jalebi last Saturday and counting when again can have it. Anyway, the sweet shops here cannot prepare that jilipi we grew up eating, quality is not a problem but the lack of expertise is. Some of the Indian restaurants here do prepare class jalebi but one needs to buy a kilogram or if you are dining there should order a plate. That is not possible, I get 3-4 from the retail shops... 2-3 goes to the son, I have one.... Cristine is a Filipino after all, she cannot go to that extreme of starting to love a jalebi, the husband does not eat jilipi / amriti, give him bowls of gulab jamun, I prefer a "pantua with elach dana inside". 

If I wish to prepare something that the family would fancy, then this combo bread & meat dish YEAST FREE MILK BREAD O MUTTON FAT GHUGNI can be considered one of the most loved lunch or dinner plate in this family. We get mutton fat here in this island at a minimal price, most of the people unlike me are health conscious. Here the fat comes with bits of meat pieces. The primary idea was to prepare a "pathar chorbi diye ghugni" so popular in Kolkata / Bengal. The KABLI CHOLAR KEEMA GHUGNI is already there in the blog done with garbanzo beans and minced chicken. However, Bengal does it's "ghugni" with dried yellow peas / holud motor in general. This time I used the dried yellow peas, that amount of mutton is not required but I did in bulk to eat for 2-3 days, we love such dishes as a family. 

I remember I cooked the non-vegetarian meat delight on a Saturday. We did not eat it on the day, we had it on Sunday during lunch, thereafter for 2-3 alternative days. Sundays are off days for Cristine, I however enjoy baking on a Sunday morning, not a complicated yeast bread but something easier.... so instead of a "luchi-porota", the main that went with the mutton fat and dried yellow peas sides was a freshly made yeast free bread. I remember I had spread some butter on the bread and served it. The next morning I had to have a piece with my morning tea. The reason is evident in the above pictures, I had the mutton fat & yellow peas curry with brown rice and "lau er chokla boti" on a Sunday afternoon and also on a Tuesday afternoon with "ruti o dhyarosh bhaja".

You know now why I cannot slim down even after a regular swim and an average of 7-8-10 km walks once or twice a week. A proper diet matters, then my life is a mess, an unplanned nuisance, yours' should not be.


That was yesterday evening, I had to have  two Karachi Bakery plain cookies with chilled Olong tea and a rice meal thereafter.... no one can save me. You guys better try my recipe of a combo meal YEAST FREE MILK BREAD O MUTTON FAT GHUGNI on a relaxing weekend.




INGREDIENTS FOR THE YEAST FREE BREAD :

REFINED FLOUR : 1COFFEE MUG
BAKING SODA : 1/4 TSP
BAKING POWDER : 1 TSP
BOILED, COOLED, SLIGHTLY THICKENED MILK : 1COFFEE MUG
VINEGAR : 1 TBSP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1TSP
SUGAR : 1TBSP
SALT : 1/2TSP
OIL : 1SMALL TEA CUP

INGREDIENTS FOR THE MUTTON FAT & DRIED YELLOW PEAS GHUGNI :

MUTTON FAT : 100-200 GM
DRIED YELLOW PEAS / HOLUD MOTOR : 1 MEDIUM TEA CUP
SLICED ONION : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 6-7
GARLIC PASTE : 2TBSP
GINGER PASTE : 1TBSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4TSP + 1/2TSP
CORIANDER SEED : 1/2TSP
DRY RED CHILLI : 4-5
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 ONE INCH STICK
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
CLOVE : 3-4
BAYLEAF : 1-2
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
LEMON JUICE : 3-4 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 3-4 TBSP


PROCEDURE :

Let us prepare the bread first.


Take the refined flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl and mix well. Sieving is a better idea.

In a blender, take the milk, vinegar, oil and blend at high for 2 minutes pausing in between. Pour it onto the flour mix!

I added the vanilla essence too and mix well. 

I poured the batter in a container, brushed the top with milk & oil.

I preheated my mini toaster oven at 180*C for 10 minutes.

I placed the batter filled bowl inside and baked at 180*C for 40-45 minutes. I got this, not a professional bread but a good one.



Now let us prepare the Mutton Fat & Dried Yellow Peas Ghugni.



Wash and marinate the mutton fat with 1/2 of the lemon juice!

We have soaked the yellow peas overnight in water, say for 8-10 hours. We will drain the water, wash them and add to the pressure cooker along with 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt, 2 coffee mugs of water. 

We will pressure cook it at the lowest heat up to 2 whistles. We will let it cool.

We will then heat the oil in a wok and temper it with 1/4tsp cumin seeds, bay leaves and the cinnamon sticks+green cardamoms+cloves.

We will give a stir and add the pre-washed  sliced onions.

We will fry till the onions turn brown and add the ginger & garlic paste, 1/2tsp turmeric and some salt. We will stir it for 2 minutes or so.

Now we will add the mutton fat with the marinade and fold in well, then put the heat at the lowest and cover.

Now in another burner, heat a clean wok and dry roast 1/2tsp of cumin seeds & coriander seeds and 2-3 dry red chillies for 2-3 minutes. Grind them to a coarse powder in a blender.

We will check the meat every 3-4 minutes. After about 25-30 minutes, we will add the boiled dried yellow peas to the meat and the pre-washed slitted green chillies.

We will fold in well, cook at the lowest heat covered for another 12-15 minutes. If required add a cup of hot water.

Add the lemon juice and the coarsely ground spices, take down.


The combo is best enjoyed with some salad!




                     









No comments :

Post a Comment