Monday 19 November 2018

CHIRER MURKI





You see I am yet to get out of that aura that a lamb kebab creates... we had Middle Eastern Food yesterday and this family is a fan of it... I was thinking of writing a poem on my love for kebabs, then felt that for two days I am telling people that I will be blogging on this healthy sweet snack CHIRER MURKI ... I should! I do not have any problem switching from a kebab to an authentic Bengali primitive food as this... I love food in general. The men took burgers in their lunch boxes and mangoes in their snack boxes. What are you thinking.... I should not have given it to them after a dine out yesterday? I know, but after a weekend... Mondays make me feel very lethargic. There were some store bought chicken burger patties ... deep fried them and added mayo, cheese slice, tomato slice to the bread and packed. I scolded myself .... the husband is better... the son removes the lettuce and tomato from the burger and eats. Anyway, I do not pack all these for them more than twice a month.... but they eat a Mac Meal every week... I cannot do anything about it. What I do is that I prepare a varied kind of fried rices & pulao or chapati / ruti / porota .... stuffed or otherwise and feed them. 

Yesterday evening, when I was wearing a dress I discovered that I am looking like a football... I am not getting any motivation... food rules my life so much.... The mother or both the parents were worried since my childhood that how the daughter got to be so lazy in a sports loving family... This morning I sat with these sunflower seeds.... have to lessen the carb intakes.... My favourite old Dr. Chang told me last to last week that we cannot be too strict with diet in this island where there is food everywhere... what we can do is follow a moderately strict routine from Monday to Friday and indulge over the weekends.... which I was doing some 2-3 years back... I do not know why I cannot overcome the lust for fried, unhealthy food. Some really good clothes in stock are lying in the dark corner of the wardrobe.... many I had given to Cristine's sister... Cristine is "tomboyish" and wears only half-pants, trousers and t-shirts. When I landed in this island and gradually lost some 11 kg, I did buy some really short and bare frocks... Then one day someone inside asked me to look at the mirror.... I felt disgusted... they just do not go with my persona... I am so unable to carry them... Then, if you have a husband like mine he will say... " S... if you are wearing a spaghetti strapped dress.... do not put a shrug on it... no one is interested in your legs and arms".... I get even more irritated.... to me not all eyes are purified and gave away packets of dresses to Cristine for distribution... I am not a rich lady but this is a reason.... I wish to shop a lot of salwar suits, saree and long dresses this time from Kolkata... By the way, I sit just like this and write my posts on a week day morning.... not that my men are disturbing in nature.... but I prefer seclusion while trying to concentrate on something!




The husband got this MacBook Air specifically for me... so that I explore and learn something! You all know me, I only use it to write blog posts. He got me this when I asked for a pair of diamond earring .... imagine who I live with! This computer box is a fearful thing to me, the reason why I sit at home.  I left the job at the last school for this reason.... I hated those routine works of preparing lesson plans... what is the need of it, damn it. A teacher and student's interaction should be free flow... it comes from within... a teacher will do some home work prior to the next class and never read from the text book.... just use it as a reference.... Many may remember Bengal's syllabi and way of teaching in our time.... students mugging up ten years question paper and vomiting in the answer scripts.... that does not create leaders and think tanks.... and that faulty education system gets dumbos like me a master's degree with pretty good numbers.... useless... absolutely!.... I am happy that the son is in a different system and doing it all by himself... and his friends too are doing better without a private tutor for each subject. When the husband was a friend long back.... he used to say looking at the interviews of the "first boy or girl in Madhyamik".... 'do not they feel shy to say that they had nine private tutor for each of nine subjects? It is the teachers who should get the award!' Today I feel it is true in a way!

The above does not have any connection with today's food share, perhaps loving to eat CHIRER MURKI since my childhood made me a nut.... Had the mother fed me some "brahmi shaaker juice" .... I could have got a clue why the two trains criss-crossing each other stopped at a point instead of taking their own courses. Only KC Nag's Alzebra book saved me you know!

Anyway, I may not have learnt Mathematical Equations at all.... neither Life's Equations .... toughest seems the Social Media Equation .... Until six months back I thought we should like those posts that seems beautiful to our eyes.... gosh! It turned out to be something else! I am the kind who says to herself.... "nikuchi koreche liker.... beshirbhag jinish dekhbo na, bhabbo na, like botamey angul choabo na"..... Instead I go out for walks, go down and enjoy the ripples, will do until the residents complain of a rhino playing water polo in the swimming pool .... and yes.... take some silly clicks... Not sharing them? Ok, will do that when my mood permits! In between all these.... my cooking venture continues... in fact takes the lead! One such day, I prepared this CHIRER MURKI ... During our childhood, I saw the grandmother made tins of them .... 'Chirer Moya' was what I was up to this time.... but one needs a bit more expertise to bind together the cooked mixture of flattened rice or beaten rice and jaggery.... so the lazy me went ahead with a murki. My men will not touch it... its a personal favourite snacker. CHIRER MURKI requires few ingredients to be made...... beaten rice... the thicker, chewy variety....good quality jaggery, peanuts, ginger extract, camphor powder a bit, shredded coconut ... thats it.





INGREDIENTS :

Chirey / Flattened or Beaten Rice : 250gm [I used the thicker variety]
Jaggery / Anker Gur / Bheli Gur : 75gm [I used a bit of coconut rock sugar & sugar crystals too]
Toasted Peanut or Mixed Dried Fruit : 2-3tbsp
Ginger Extract : 2tsp
Camphor Powder : 2pinch
Ghee / Clarified Butter : 1 tbsp
Shredded Coconut to garnish when you eat

PROCEDURE :

"Chirey takey kulotey niye ektu jherey nao"..... Most of us do not have a "kulo".... so we will take a big strainer .... add the beaten rice to it and .... hold it with two palms and move it in slow, circular motion for 2-3 minutes.... 

Heat a clean wok not used for making curries or anything that uses turmeric to moderate and add the clarified butter; add and dry toast the beaten rice & mixed dry fruits for 3-4 minutes. Take down and keep in a bowl.







Now heat the same wok again! Add the jaggery, coconut rock sugar & sugar crystals, a small cup of water. Keep stirring and whatever scum deposit atop we see, we have to remove and throw away that!


We will add a bit of ghee now if we wish to!



Once the jaggery gets sticky which may take some 7-8 minutes of slow cooking, we will add the ginger extract & camphor powder, mix well.

Let us add the toasted chirey or flattened rice now and fold in very well so that each grain of the beaten rice is coated well. 



Switch off the gas. Transfer the entire amount to a bowl and keep in open until it cools down.

Now, we can keep it in a clean, airtight container for 4-5 days without refrigeration. 

Whenever you wish to pour some amount on a bowl, garnish with shredded coconut and enjoy... get a cup of tea for yourself if you are someone like me!







No comments :

Post a Comment