Wednesday 30 October 2019

JOLPAI ER ACHAR


This was in plan for a long time, I prepared this achar / pickle before the start of pujo last year, did the plating and clicked mid this year and then for something or the other blogging about it was getting delayed. Yesterday, I felt it is the right day today to share a vegetarian pickle recipe whose plating is done with luchi. Yesterday, it was the birthday of a ferocious fighter who fought cancer with elan, now prepares "jam, jelly, achar" at home and supplies in and around Pune, today is the birthday of a published author, a professor, a friend from my college, an Andhra-ite in Kolkata who still gets pickle supplies from the family in Andhra, my sibling who misses "bhai-phota" ever since we had relocated prefers only luchi for his breakfast. I felt let me think less and share this no cook pickle recipe with chilli-mustard paste, lots of oil and Indian Olive variety Jolpai.... JOLPAI ER ACHAR, this condiment will suit. You see, it is not possible to do justice to all around at one time, let me think of the brothers and sisters who very recently got separated  and are living thousand miles apart. They would not mind having this platter alongside some sweets and "ghugni or aloor dum" may be? 

I was / am not happy with this picture. Most of the time I forget to notice the shadow of the hand phone, this time its too prominent. Then, my "luchis" are not looking good.  "Luchis" are bound to turn yellow if you fry them in a wok which you have used to fry some hilsa pieces and pakoras. "bojho thyala ebar Cristine luchir koraitey ilish gulo kora korey bhaj boler." I so wish to keep a wok separately for frying "luchi" but I myself cannot keep up to my promise. Not a good homemaker huh? I feel so lethargic to wear a hand gloves, scrub and clean my own utensils. Cristine being a Filipino has fair and supple palms, she simply does not apply a bit of energy when required, dilly-dallied like me. On several occasions I found residues even on our Corelle plates, I shout at her and then get her a 10$ t-shirt or take her out for a dosa or hand made dumpling soup. 

This Filipino girl too started loving to have "Luchi to Achar".... pickle of any kind, also this no-cook pickle, a condiment with Indian Olive and chilli-mustard paste JOLPAI ER ACHAR. I do not take pride in my "luchis" as such because people have already reached to "dhakai porota" to "stuffed naan." I feel  happy when they fluff up and get angry when you do not wait for the right temperature of oil required to fry "luchis." I never feed my "luchis gone wrong" to my family, they are reserved to go as "cha o bashi luchi" for myself. Stay tuned for food, supply of Gelusil is my responsibility.



INGREDIENTS :

JOLPAI / INDIAN OLIVE : 1KG
GARLIC CLOVE : 10-12 [PEELED AND WASHED]
BLACK MUSTARD : 50GM
GREEN CHILLI : 8-10 [WASHED]
TURMERIC POWDER : 11/2TBSP
VINEGAR : 50ML 
SALT : AS REQUIRED
MUSTARD OIL : 300ML-400ML

PROCEDURE : 

Take the mustard seeds in a sieve and wash. Soak in water for an hour. Peel and wash the garlic cloves, wash the green chillies too.

Wash the jolpai / Indian Olives very well and discard the water. Cut them from all sides, you can either use the seed in the achar / pickle or discard it as I have.



Now wash again the cut pieces and add the washed garlic pieces to it. Rub very well with salt and turmeric. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes.


Now strain the soaked water and add the black mustard seeds, 2-3 garlic cloves, green chillies, vinegar and some salt to a blender.

Blend it to a paste. If you are unable to get a fine paste, add little more vinegar. Add the paste to the marinated jolpai / Indian Olive mixture.


Fold in well and then add the mustard oil. Fold in well again.



Add more oil if required. Now it is the time for some sunbath. The more sunbath it gets, tastier it will be, it's shelf life will be more.


It should be ready to eat with rice or luchi / poori / porota within a fort night. Always store in sterilised containers.




No comments :

Post a Comment