Friday 13 December 2019

KALIJEERA RICE & CHICKEN ECONOMIC MEAL


I will remember the date I prepared this family lunch, 30th November, 2019. No, it requires no such skill or labour; if the rice can be taken down and strained at the right time, the major work is done. The thing is one should not take up such projects on a day when the cook is supposed to go for a running event in the evening. The man did shout at me but looking at his & also the son's eating pattern that afternoon, I felt what I have done is right; as usual their plates looked squeaky clean after the meal & before the wash, they got so nice that they ate all of the Potato & Peanut Salad served alongside. Why not? Tossed in chaat masala, with a drizzle of lemon juice, it tasted so good. Later in the evening, during the entire period of my run I suffered from severe acidity may be because of having rice around 3pm which was cooked in good amount of ghee / clarified butter. Had I have had a bowlful of that salad and a piece of chicken, no discomfort would have been caused. Even white rice would have been fine I am sure. I know too much of ghee causes us Bengalis acidity, I have experienced it. 

Actually, it is all about what one has grown up eating. Kalijeera Rice is a fragrant, short grained rice coming from Bangladesh, I always stock it for pulao & payesh because it resembles Gobindobhog Chal of West Bengal. Here, the Bangladeshi eateries use this short grain variety of rice for their Biryanis, I get to know that back in Bangladesh they use it for the same. I get these meat and rice packets from these eateries occasionally but to my dissatisfaction most of the time. In case of Chicken Rice, the chicken feels dry; in case of mutton rice, the meat smells raw. These days I do any kind of meat and rice with varied combination of spices or even with the readily available spice mixes, better than getting it from the eateries. Last 30th of November, I did not have time for elaborate something, I did this one pot chicken and rice meal instead, KALIJEERA RICE & CHICKEN ECONOMIC MEAL.

I have to again wrap up soon. Yesterday, I did not have time to go to the market for raw produce. We are going out after I am done with my post and Cristine with the household chores. I have to travel to the Indian Market though unwilling to, the local wet market closes by 12pm and I am unwilling to buy packaged meat and fish from the local supermarket, their seabass is very good and fresh however, I have a cauliflower lying in the fridge. I am going to the Indian market to get those like a "kaikka, magur, maurala", etc. Going on a Saturday morning is good but not always possible, I am getting old man. I have told our boy to wait once back from school if we are late, I will get him sweets, we definitely will have our meal at Ananda Bhavan. No, we will not walk down to the Bangladeshi shop, the sky continues to weep, I am unwell and do not want the son to wait in an empty house for long back from school. Their lunch boxes were packed with luchi and torkari. The boy's school is giving up today for the winter break, he left his box wanting to have lunch outside with his friends. Mumma allowed, he has earned this allowance, further details shall be shared in public in the right time. I have a suspective mind with a continual tendency of unrest. The teachers are happy since yesterday, his friends are, he is, his father is; only I cannot rejoice wholeheartedly; the husband has to shout," you are so negative, stop worrying and take pride in your boy, he will manage those few marks in Mathematics and Spanish in these few months." I am unstoppable, "you cannot go wrong at any step during this time boy!" So, he complains that his mumma is never happy with him, keeps the lunch box in the kitchen counter, takes the snack box with apple and Dharwad Peda leaving mumma to weep alone, "byas ebar ga cherey debey aar July te kharap ekta result korbey, shob jabey amar." 

There is one Bengali couple teacher from Barasat in his school, the husband is the physics teacher who definitely repents meeting me some four years back. The husband refused to call me his wife post afternoon yesterday not because I almost jumped onto Sir's lap and started to complain about our son but because I did so without a valid appointment. Sir is their class teacher now but does not take any of his subject, he understands me more than my husband. I will pay tribute to each of his teachers in public after few months if I am given a chance. Now I should share a nutritious, one pot chicken and rice recipe KALIJEERA RICE & CHICKEN ECONOMIC MEAL for you to do over this weekend.


Use fresh chicken for a better taste.




INGREDIENTS :

CHICKEN : 8-10 PIECES [MEDIUM CUT, I USED LEGS & THIGHS]
KALIJEERA RICE : 11/2COFFEE MUG [A SHORT GRAINED, FRAGRANT RICE FROM BANGLADESH]
SLICED ONION : 2 SMALL TEACUP SIZED
GREEN CHILLI : 6-7
GINGER PASTE : 11/2TBSP
GARLIC PASTE : 2TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1TSP
LEMON JUICE : 5-6TBSP
GREEN CARDAMOM : 7-8
BLACK CARDAMOM : 2
STAR ANISE : 2
CINNAMON STICK : 6-7 TWO INCHED SIZED
CLOVE : 6-7
BAY LEAF : 6-7
MILK : 1SMALL TEA CUP [AT ROOM TEMPERATURE]
GHEE : 6TBSP +2TBSP+2TBSP
YELLOW FOOD COLOUR : 3-4DROPS
SALT : AS REQUIRED

PROCEDURE :

Wash and soak the rice in enough water for 1/2 an hour. Wash the chicken few times and marinate with half of the turmeric+cumin+coriander+red chilli powders+lemon juice+ginger+garlic pastes+salt.


Keep the marinated chicken covered for an hour. Let us do the rice.

Take a deep bottomed vessel and fill it with water, bring it to boil. Add salt, half of the bay leaves+cinnamon sticks+green cardamom+cloves. Let boil for 3-4 minutes.


Strain the water from the rice and cook until 70% done.



Strain to drain the rice completely.


Spread the rice on trays or newspaper to soak in the last drop of water.

Rub the cooked rice with 2tbsp ghee and leave like that for 1/2 an hour.


Put an heavy bottomed vessel atop gas. Pour 6tbsp of ghee. Temper it with the remaining bay leaves+cinnamon+green cardamom+cloves+2black cardamom+2star anise.


Add the washed sliced onions and fry till golden brown.



Add the remaining turmeric+ginger+garlic+salt and fry for 2 minutes. Add the marinated chicken and stir at high heat for 3-4 minutes.


Lower the heat to minimal and cover cook till the chicken is done 80%. We have to check in between and stir to avoid any burn.

When the chicken is cooking, we will prepare a mixture of 2tbsp ghee, the milk and few drops of yellow food colour.


When the chicken is done, take it off on a plate.


Add a layer of rice in the bottom of the vessel.


Level and put few pieces of the cooked chicken. Pour some ghee-milk-yellow food colour mixture+the whole green chillies. Repeat the process once again. the top layer should be of rice and on it the mixture.




Tie the lid with a heavy towel and close tight.

Place a pan atop the gas stove and then the container. Cook at low to medium heat for 40-45 minutes.


Once done, shake well before serving it fresh & hot.



Listen! My selection of vessel was not okay. Better choose a heavier one, preferably a non stick or an earthen pot.

Do not forget to get some raita & salad alongside. I served it with a salad made of boiled potato, roasted peanut, cucumber and tomato tossed in chaat masala and lemon juice.





No comments :

Post a Comment