Friday 3 April 2020

MUSHROOM ALOO BEAN ER JHOL


I had no plan to blog about this easy, vegetarian curry with mushrooms, potato & French beans. When I loved it with a small bowl of piping hot rice, I felt let me click! The family too had without a denial mode means it is worthy of featuring in the Blog. Light curries are the love of my life. I enjoy them more as I grew old. Its a gloomy, rainy morning today, the window panes are closed and someone is smoking sitting beside; the brain seems dysfunctional. As it is given the situation worldwide, I am at loss of words. I echo with some; what after the lock down is lifted? India is a densely populated country, we lack hygiene sense, we are habituated to break rules. I also can understand that it is extremely difficult for a daily wage labourer to survive in the scenario. We live in a tiny island where hygiene is  prime and a way of life. The government can handle the crisis given the infrastructure is too good and it has started the screening without any delay. We ourselves are practicing social distancing unless we are required to get our produce which is once a week. I do my walks in lonely neighbourhoods; if the authorities ask to stop, I shall. My system does not work otherwise. Yoga, which is supposedly the best form of exercise does not excite me. I cannot do anything which I do not like. Similar is with food, until and unless a dish prepared appeals to my tastebud, I cannot enjoy having it. This vegetarian dish with mushrooms, French beans and potatoes MUSHROOM ALOO BEAN ER JHOL really rocked.

I have used the same old regular Bengali spice mixture for this curry which was not gelling well with the mushrooms. I was never fond of beetroot, French beans, carrots in curries unless it was a fish or meat stew. Last week, few left over French beans had to be done with which actually comes for pasta, noodle, fried rice making. In the ensuing days, we were not to cook them; weekends I cook and we eat normal Bengali. So, I prepared this light, yummy flavour burst vegetarian curry MUSHROOM ALOO BEAN ER JHOL with a dash of aamchoor / dry mango powder towards the end. I am reserving lemons, else you can use it's juice instead of aamchoor. I think the dry mango powder has an unique taste of it's own that nothing else can replace. Typical Bengali families like our's never used chaat masala or aamchoor powder in their cooking ever earlier, I do whenever I wish for a change in a regular Bengali dish. Trust me, it made all the difference to the taste of the curry. Yes, I do taste the food while cooking to adjust whenever the family veterans are not watching.



The amount cooked serves a family of 4-5-6 heads!

INGREDIENTS :

MUSHROOM : 300-350GM
POTATO : 2MEDIUM SIZED
FRENCH BEAN : 50GM
GREEN CHILLI : 2
ASAFOETIDA : A PINCH OR TWO
GINGER PASTE : 2TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1TSP
AAMCHOOR / DRY MANGO POWDER : 1TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4TSP
BAY LEAF : 1
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2-3TBSP


PROCEDURE :

Cut half the mushrooms, wash and soak in hot water adding a bit of salt for 1/2 an hour.

Peel the potatoes, get 6-8 pieces from each. Discard the two ends of the French beans, cut each one into 3 pieces trowing of the fibre that comes out.

Take both in a bowl and wash thoroughly. Marinate  with a little of salt & turmeric. We will not fry them, lessen the time of your cooking at this time, eat simple and healthier.

Take together the ginger paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and mix well. Add 2tsp of water if required for a paste like consistency.

Heat oil in a wok, temper with asafoetida, cumin seeds & bay leaf. Add the spice paste and stir at low heat for 2 minutes.

Add the potato & French beans pieces now and stir at minimal heat for 3-4 minutes. Add 11/2 coffee mugs of water and cover cook at minimal to low heat for 7-8 minutes.

Open cover, drain the water from the mushroom and add them to the curry. Cover cook for 5 minutes or so.

Open cover, add the dry mango powder and give a stir. Cook uncovered at minimal heat for 2 minutes.

Enjoy with steamed rice or chapati.









No comments :

Post a Comment