Wednesday 1 April 2020

UCCHE ALOO SHEDDO O UCCHE BHAJA


I do not know if it was required to blog about what you see above or not. However, I feel like documenting all the "bhartas & sheddos" my family used to prepare throughout the year, whichever is available when. Bitter Gourd is something India gets throughout the year, this is a vegetable our island loves in each of their meals perhaps. The men at home do not like it, the son have it if served crispy batter fried done in the Southern Indian Style. That does not happen always, neither do I get a packet from the stores every month, they seem over fried. At times, I get a packet or two for the son and I. Rest of the time, I get 3-4 Indian bitter gourds or a big local variety for the self and Cristine to have. I think I should bring it every week. I enjoy it boiled and mashed with boiled potato and as a fry with dal too. That is what you see above; two separate vegetarian recipes with bitter gourd UCCHE ALOO SHEDDO O UCCHE BHAJA. These are the dishes regular in my side of the family; we will always have it with steamed rice, you can  have it with chapati too. 

I regret of not having it sitting with the elderlies from my side of the family. They repeatedly told me but I always ignored. Since age six, I am robbed of normal eyesight, the doctors prescribed a lot of coloured vegetables, I so hated. I was so stubborn that none in the family could persuade me to eat vegetables. In the recent years, all of a sudden I started loving the kind of vegetables I have grown up watching being made. I have started liking bitter gourd too. Neem leaves are extremely helpful during this spring season, the family veterans in my side eats it, I could not till date but I drink a glass of "Indrajav" soaked water every morning. It is too bitter, yet I do.

The health experts are prescribing to have hot drinks, but I cannot go without my chilled drinks once in a day. We live in a tropical island and we crave coolers often. Most of them have sugar, so I hardly have them. Our refrigerator is not allowing me to store big 2 litre bottles of Olong or Ayatakka chilled tea varieties. Why should I either? I am preparing it at home, rather had shown Cristine to do it for me. Dieting does not happen in my life, I love to eat, so I go out for walks few days a week, back home chilled tea with a dash of lemon is just wow.


My problem is I cannot stick to a diet or exercise regime; I love to cook, I must cook usual Bengali food and cannot think of not having them. I think, those who do not enjoy cooking or Indian food in particular, does better with controlling their food cravings. These days, I got very clear about what I can and what I cannot. I had always been a very laid back character. Now that I am nearing 50 and known the surroundings, the people I have valued and their ill behaviour in return; I take life as it comes. I am casual about it. Between them and me awaits a death, anyone wants or not it will happen some day. That day all the doors shall be shut in between, thats the right thing to do. Until then, I must do something for the people who I owe to for what I am today and continue blogging about some rustic, Bengali dishes like this vegetarian fair with bitter gourd UCCHE ALOO SHEDDO O UCCHE BHAJA.



INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE BOILED & MASHED BITTER GOURD & POTATO]

BITTER GOURD : 100-150GM
POTATO : 1 SMALL SIZED
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
MUSTARD OIL : 1TBSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE FRIED BITTER GOURD SLICES]

BITTER GOURD : 250-300GM
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2-3 TBSP [WE USE MUSTARD OIL]

PROCEDURE :

UCCHE ALOO SHEDDO
For the boiled and mashed potato & bitter gourd, we will discard the two ends of the bitter gourds. We will cut half the bitter gourds  and discard the seeds [I do it, you may keep the seeds]. 

We will peel off the skin of the potatoes and cut half. We will wash the bitter gourd & potato pieces and take them in a microwave proof bowl. We will add a coffee mug of water and a pinch or two of salt. 

We will microwave at high for 10 minutes, it should be done! You can boil them on gas top taking them in a metal vessel.

Once cool, we will mash them well. We will wash & chop a green chilli; and add to the mash! Also add a little of salt and the mustard oil. 





We will fold in well and have fresh with piping hot steamed rice or hot chapatis.

UCCHE BHAJA 
For the fried bitter gourds, I discarded the two ends of the bitter gourds. I sliced them ring shaped.

Then, what I do is wash them well; add salt & turmeric, red chilli powder and keep aside marinated for 15 minutes.

Then, we are to heat the oil in a wok; fry them in batches at low heat. We will take out when they look brown & crisp. 





I love having fried bitter gourd with dal & rice. You can try with chapati too.

My men cannot have bitter gourd, they would manage with that "narkol diye cholar dal & egg drop curry"!







No comments :

Post a Comment