Friday 10 April 2020

METHI ALOO TOMATOR PUR BHORA BATTER FRIED BREAD


At this time, I wish to share such recipes which the majority of the Indians can afford without much effort. It is not okay to show who have how much of wealth during this crisis when the majority in the world is in trouble. The haves always manage to live well, their lives they manage well without needing any support. They definitely are managing good food in every meal but I have a problem showing it off how much I have at this time of distress. I am not comfortable exhibiting what amount of mutton kofta or how big sized prawns we had this week. Off course we are having if we are getting it; instead of serving them at two meals, I serve them once each day. That too I am unwilling to exhibit, I need not share in public what non-vegetarian food we are eating. What extra bit of cooking I am doing is keeping in mind that the men get to eat their vegetarian plate with love. Moreover, I am happy only when  I see good food on my plate. Whichever place in the world I go, I can make out from the plate served if it is done with care & love or not. I usually get irritated if anywhere invitees are not served food cooked with care for a longer period of time or are served cold food. Here too, we need not show off how much of wealth we have, how I am treating my guests is very important to me. I have a couple of vegetarian friends, I think I will serve them this vegetarian fried snack METHI ALOO TOMATOR PUR BHORA BATTER FRIED BREAD when I call them for a tea party; along with it some nimki, bora, fresh mango & pineapple. Because of the pandemic, a couple of family & ladies only parties got deferred. I do like arranging them once or twice a year and presently really missing those when we are not okay with entertaining anyone at home. Anyway, about the recipe today, I had grown few tomato plants & methi greens of which yesterday, I got only two tomatoes and a little of methi sprouts. I wished to use them up asap.


 There was change of plans one after another. At first, I thought of doing a "methi aloo tomato sobzi" and serve it with hot parathas. Thereafter, I planned to prepare a drier filling and make "stuffed dried kachoris." Finally, I thought of doing something with bread which has a lesser shelf life even inside a refrigerator I feel. Undoubtedly, we had a wonderful meal full of guilt. Look at the suicidal me; the son who snacks all day and eat minimal meals could not eat four of the fried stuffed bread snack yesterday, I am having reheated half of it, "aam muri o shobuz cha."


I walked 7km to get "kalojeerey" yesterday with guidance from a friend in the old neighbourhood, today evening too I shall do so. Yet weight is an issue in my life; the reason is having too much of fried, carb filled food on a regular basis. Last night what we had is actually a tea / coffee time snacks METHI ALOOR PUR BHORA BATTER FRIED BREAD.




The number of the stuffed bread snacks done serves a nuclear family.

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE FILLING]

POTATO : 2 BIG SIZED
FRESH METHI / FENUGREEK: A HANDFUL
TOMATO : 2 MEDIUM SIZED
GREEN CHILLI : 2
ONION : 1MEDIUM
CUMIN SEED : 1/4TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1/2TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2TSP
AAMCHOOR / DRY MANGO POWDER : 1/2TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
LEMON JUICE : 2TBSP
OIL : 11/2TBSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE BATTER]

CORN FLOUR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
GRAM FLOUR : 1/3 SMALL TEA CUP
REFINED FLOUR : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 2 TSP
BAKING POWDER : 1/2 TSP
BAKING SODA : 2 PINCH
CHAAT MASALA : 11/2 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
WATER : AS REQUIRED

INGREDIENTS FOR THE FINISHED DISH

THE FILLING
THE BATTER
BREAD SLICE : 12-13
OIL : ENOUGH TO FRY BOTH SIDES WELL

PROCEDURE :

We with wash the tomatoes and chop them. We will discard the root end of the fresh methi / fenugreek, wash them thoroughly and chop.





We will cut the two ends of the onion, peel and wash it. We will chop the onion and also the chillies after a wash.



We have boiled, peeled and mashed the potatoes. 



I am Uncle Podger's daughter and this pandemic has made me more of it. I heated the oil, tempered it with the cumin seeds and added the tomato, turmeric & little salt already when Cristine notified that I forgot to fry the onions first.

Never mind or get tensed, we will manage. 



I gave a stir and collected the tomatoes at one corner. I had added the chopped onion and green chilli in the oil and stirred for a minute before folding in all well.



Do not be me, try to be smart & alert always. I added the methi greens, cumin+coriander and stirred for a minute.



Then, we will add the boiled and mashed potato, more of salt to adjust, the aamchoor powder and lemon juice. 



We will fold in well and stir cook for few minutes. We will take it down and let cool.



I had shown Cristine how to stuff the filling discarding the sides. She anyway prepares sandwiches at this home.



While Cristine was doing them, I prepared the batter adding water to a mixture with the said amount of cornflour, refined flour, gram flour, chaat masala, salt, red chilli powder, baking soda & powder.




We had to beat it for a smooth batter. We have heat oil in a pan, I avoided deep fry.


We will coat well both side of the stuffed bread and fry at low heat well both sides turning over a couple of times. Cristine did most of the frying part. Should I take credit?




We must keep them for sometime on the tissue paper before serving with our choice of chutney, sauce & salad.


No comments :

Post a Comment