Monday 8 November 2021

KASURI METHI ALOO STUFFED POROTA


 
WE CAN GO RUSTIC IF HAND ROLLED BREAD IS ON THE PLATE!

Your's truly got very late wrapping up her commitments today!Then she had to do a bit of exercise; which was throwing the legs & arms to the Bollywood tunes and some stretches!And now it is 5:15 pm, when do I finish my blogpost today? I so love giving body, shape, life to my still food photos!Its never a compulsion! Had I have enough vocabulary and better photography skills;CURRY AND SPICE would have been an art house! Visitors would have queued for a glimpse of it!What are day dreamers called? Lazy Bum; your's truly is the best example of it!She wants to lie down with nothing but a Bengali novel at this time and doze off in few minutes! Then, her blog has to be updated today which is an equally interesting job!Today, I wish to get a stuffed flatbread recipe to the blog; we swear on it!It also got packed for a dorm room last August!



WISH I HAD A CLAY TANDOOR OVEN!

These days, I am craving for a simple tandoori roti, self made pickle, onion & green chilli the most and missing to have a proper tandoor to make those breads!The reason may be the unavailability of my choice of fish & the freshest of them!I can be happy with an anchovy curry but the man cannot, neither the son can!I am unhappy with the mutton variety here; hence enjoy vegetarian chapati meals! Most surprisingly, I admit I can enjoy egg curry meals twice a week these days! I wonder when back to Kolkata, I would remain this or take interest in the wet markets all over again? I think, this clinging to Bengali Food & Culture is more of mental to me than a need or necessity!As a KG school goer, I wondered how people eat flat or puffed breads with pickle alone.I had a couple of non-Bengali speaking friends since then!I used to get surprised looking at the size of their pickle jars [boyams].Later in high school, when the father got transferred to Raghunathganj,Murshidabad for few years;I closely watched the lifestyle of a Rajasthani family on our visits there during our vacations!Their's are close knit families with five kilograms of whole wheat flour used in a day! No exaggeration,I vividly remember their chapati making session!Oh no!One girl got friends with me and lamented her father & uncles would get her married sooner!She would wait for me until the next vacation! After three years, the father came back!They owned the biggest "mudi dokan" in Raghunathganj and was customer of the State Bank Of India!Oh God!Spare me the memories or gift my palms enough to write down a memoir!Anyway, we are working only with 2 coffee mugs of whole wheat & refined flour today!Yup, I vividly remember the women kneading 5kg atta on vast wooden bowls, our mother was looking so tiny beside them!

WHAT IS THIS KASURI METHI ALOO STUFFED POROTA?

KASURI METHI is dried Fenugreek Leaves used to enhance the flavour of food, I guess! I guess so because it is not in general a Bengali usage; but we do use these days!In season, our families used to get fresh fenugreek leaves; not in the same frequency as of pea shoots, amaranth, kang kong! In the present day, I use dried fenugreek leaves purely to enhance the flavour of breads & a few vegetarian recipes!I did not like it in a fish curry!May I tell you; dried fenugreek leaves & potato is a match made in heaven!If all matches were made in heaven, then why are there so many cases of divorce and why kids are put into the worst situation of choosing either of the parents? If our son or the brother had to choose between the two, they would have been destroyed! Let us get to food!This KASURI METHI ALOO STUFFED POROTA is a stuffed, vegan flatbread!The stuffing is of a spicy potato filling made extremely flavourful with the use of dried fenugreek leaves!To make it gluten-free, I really have to learn rolling a gluten-free dough!I must share what we ate since yesterday!I prepared the quickest chicken in oven and served T with an egg roll!I had it with a store bought nasi lemak, that fish fry did not smell! Here, nasi lemak costs anything between 1:90$ to 15$!





I got some chicken ham for their sandwich and tried a sandwich today, may be after 3-4 years?Last evening I had a malpoa, two in fact with my tea & naan with cauliflower!







INGREDIENTS [FOR THE FILLING]

BOILED POTATO : 2
DRIED FENUGREEK LEAF / KASURI METHI : 2 TBSP
SLICED ONION : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2 TSP
DRY MANGO POWDER / AAMCHUR POWDER : 2 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2-3 TBSP

INGREDIENTS [FOR THE DOUGH]

REFINED FLOUR : 11/2 COFFEE MUG
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2 TBSP

THE STUFFED POROTA :

THE FILLING
THE DOUGH
2 TSP OIL FOR EACH FLATBREAD / POROTA

PROCEDURE :


I mashed the boiled potato with some salt!


Cristine sliced the onion and chopped the green chillies; washed them for me!


I heated some oil in the wok and tempered it with the cumin seeds!

I added the sliced onion & chopped green chillies to the wok & fried them well!



I added the boiled potato, spice powders to the wok and folded in well!


Thereafter, I added the dried methi leaves and folded in well! At this stage, the salt can be adjusted if required!


We will store the filling in a bowl!


For the dough; Cristine took together the two varieties of flour, salt & 2 tbsp of oil!

She added the water little by little to prepare a soft, firm dough! This takes 10 minutes!


I rolled out chapati shapes taking out portions and stuffed it with filling!


I flipped and pressed the ends to close! If I am not cooking for the clients, I take this easier path!


We will roast each side well in a heated griddle / pan and then add 2 tsp oil to fry well!


We always enjoy stuffed breads with different varieties of pickle, sauce, chutney! Choose yours!








1 comment :

  1. Dear friend this recipe looks like our plain Pancake with potato (patatesli gözleme). But yours is more spicy. Looks very healthy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete