Monday 1 November 2021

DAL SNACKS


 YIN & YANG RUNS PARALLEL IN MY LIFE;SO ARE THE NECESSITIES OF FRIES & FRITTERS IN LIFE AND THEIR SIDE EFFECTS!

Did anyone ever question why Yin is conceived as negative & feminine; together? I too do not question myself why I require to have fries & fritters regular at age 51, with an overweight body type!I know if I am to have an hourglass figure and superbly healthy self, I have to follow a specific diet pattern which is impossible for me!I dislike science, mathematics; to study in fact, to play, to exercise!I grew up with food in one hand & story books in the other!At this stage in life, I took to cooking and find it extremely relaxing!Do you think I should give up the happiness of cooking, feeding, eating and take recourse to what I never did like? Who can guarantee me a tomorrow; another few years of life on this earth? What I believe in is not going berserk with this only life of ours!Any kind of over do is not something I have ever liked!Look at the surrounding, what exhaustive work, exercise gets to your body!

THE DIFFERENT NEWS AROUND THAT TRY TO PULL ME DOWN!

I am an avid social media user and I do not know why all the negative and sad news comes my way! Is it me who always reads about death & destruction? Just when I get to be in a lighter mood; the media houses, people around force me into news that are bound to make one sad!Because I suffer from a condition, I feel miserable even if they are not related to me!News of untimely deaths disturbs me the most. In such scenarios,I take to cooking; a better exercise & timing than what Emperor Nero did what & when. In multiple occasions, I have seen a good cup of tea & coffee with fries & fritters have lifted up my spirit, taken off my attention from unwanted topics!

WHAT IS THIS DAL SNACKS?

I actually wanted to prepare "Gathi Bhaja Mix"/ "Gathiya" at home; not with gram flour but with lentil paste! I also forgot to add the baking soda to the mix!So, instead of the hard textured gram flour snack, I landed into lentil fritters!The lentil variety I have used today is skinless, split black gram dal / urad dal! We can prepare snacks with any variety of dal / lentil; each will have it's own unique taste I believe! Although, the outcome of my effort was not what I wanted today, I think what I got was interesting enough. This DAL SNACKS is a vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free snack mixture that I enjoyed both with rice, dal & butter and with my hot cuppa! I am actually very particular about what I am having with my tea & coffee! On a Sunday evening yesterday, I prepared "muri makha" for both of us! As we watched a series in Disney Hotstar, I felt we knew the son would fly off some day but I did not wish to believe it, I kept escaping from the truth!I have already lessened the amount of cooking because a dumpling & soup or some chapati & sabji, meat or an ilish dish, torkari & dal are enough for us to sustain. Moreover, the excess from what I cook for my clients also makes up for some of our meals!




Actually, I am game for some weekly meals with fritters, fries, butter or ghee, rice & dal!Oh! milk tea are a weekly once or bi-weekly once affair for me.



INGREDIENTS :

SKINLESS SPLIT BLACK GRAM LENTIL / URAD DAL : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
RICE FLOUR : 2 TBSP
GREEN CHILLI : 2
RED CHILLI FLAKE : 1 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
BAKING SODA : 2-3 PINCH [I FORGOT]
CURRY LEAF : 10-12
RAISIN : 10-12
CASHEWNUT : 7-8 [HALVED]
PEANUT : 10-12 [SKIN ON]
OIL : AS MUCH REQUIRED TO DEEP FRY GREASE THE PALMS

PROCEDURE :


I have had soaked the skinless, split black gram lentil / dal overnight! 

I drained the water, washed the dal and prepared a paste with one or two green chillies in the blender!

Remember not to add more than 2-3 tbsp water while blending the dal!Else, it would get unmanageable!





Then, I have had transferred the lentil paste to a bowl and added the rice flour, red chilli flakes, salt to it. Do not forget to add the baking soda! I had beaten it for 2-3 minutes to incorporate everything well!




I have had greased well my two palms and shaped them with the tiny portions taken out.Cristine helped me at this stage. We have to grease our palms well a few times.



Once done, I refrigerated the plate for sometime!


I have had heated a considerable amount of oil and crisp fried the curry leaves. This is to be done when the oil is warm, not hot.

I have had fried the peanuts & cashew nuts too!





Thereafter, I took out the plate with the uncooked dal fritters and started frying them at low heat. 

We have to have patience here, fry them in batches over longer period!



We will take them out and rest on a tissue paper for sometime.We will mix together all along with the raisins.


They are to be had within 20-25 minutes of frying to get the best crisp texture & taste. Thereafter, it gets chewy even after reheating!




1 comment :

  1. This snacks (Wheat Flour free) looks great and looks very healthy. We rarely use rice flour in recipes. Happy November to you Dear friend!

    ReplyDelete