Monday 10 July 2023

SUJIR PATISHAPTA



 

HOW WAS THE SUNDAY?

It was as usual, nothing special did happen nor did we eat anything special! I wouldn't call it boring, everyone in the family more or less enjoy staying at home, relax & watch something or read or do any activity within the comfort of our home! For me, cooking is a great stress buster! This morning, I cooked these energy bars & updated one blog post! The entire procedure took me 30-35 minutes! I cannot call something chikki that has been shaped round like a ladoo, right?


These mistakes in the earlier blogposts, I am trying to rectify but amazing enough that I had lot more visits in the blog than what I have now! Yet, I would improve my cooking skill, simplify it further, improve my photography skill! These keep me occupied too, else the stress with regards to the son staying far off is too taxing! He does not understand the concern for him! I have many questions, but no one to answer! I was disappointed with the "aar mach" yesterday! Every Bengali shop here sells frozen fresh water fish, but Rajdhani Store's products sells fast, is slightly better in comparison; they did not have an 1-1 1/2 kg size last Friday! I wanted to have after a year may be & it was a wrong decision to source it from elsewhere & the blunder was to cook it without onion & garlic! The smell was annoying! I also got severe acidity from the fried fish head, Saturday entire night I had to suffer!


The dried fish, the young jute leaves stir fry was fabulous! In this scenario; for me to love the sea fish varieties was a necessity, but it did not happen! I can remain happy with the freshly available smaller fish varieties, but the rest fear bones! Dried fish, fresh Bombay Duck, smaller Prawns, Mourala, Mola, Kakila, these smaller fish varieties can keep me happy but the rest? They may revolt if served alone those! Yesterday evening, we had "muri makha" too!


I wish to blog about what we had for dinner, not sharing the picture hence! We have watched a couple of series & movies in the past two days, forgot all their names! A murder mystery starring Manoj Bajpaye was interesting, his was a team of cops who solved the mystery! 

WHAT'S UP FOR THE DAY?

Nothing much to do as such! I have quite a variety of food to eat my first meal with, I could skip going out & swim instead! But I want to go out locally for lunch, then walk a bit & come back home to finish off the blog post & dine with mutton, dal, loti! The thought is giving me happy vibes! Folks, I am thinking of making an offering to my God Family on Wednesday with whatever I have in my home! Our grandma's soul would be at peace, that I am considering! The family at Krishnanagar are feeding the guests mainly on the day of "matshomukhi", so that they can treat the people with non-vegetarian food! This should stop, feasts on the occasion of demises! Use the money to feed the poor or just donate it for a cause! The guests should come & witness the rituals; pay homage with flowers; the host family should serve them cold drinks & sweet packets! None in my family agrees with me! We do not know when is our end, we should engage in what keeps us happy! Just now, I made some buttermilk biscuits! At Popeye's, a plate of four costs 6$! Mine are tasting the same but is less flaky! I would share the picture in public! Back from my walk, I took shower, did the prayer for the second time & had some mango!


What was my first meal today, that too I would share later in a public post!

WHAT IS THIS SUJIR PATISHAPTA PITHE?

This is a gross aberration of a recipe I attempted at! Among us, Patishapta refers to a stuffed crepe, usually eaten as a winter dessert! I do it throughout the year! I remember, I did it last February, the Filipino was on leave! I was attempting at a vegan, gluten-free version of patishapta crepes! It went horribly wrong! I remotely remember I had soaked some un-cooked rice, then pasted it & mixed with coconut flour, date palm jaggery! I tried crepes with the batter! I failed to, somewhere in the batter mix, I went wrong! I am not the kind to waste food, specially such a tasty batter! I stir cooked & reduced the batter to a thick consistency filling, that is yum! Whilst it was set to cool, I soaked some semolina in water, made it into a batter for crepes! This is how a vegetarian, vegan Bengali dessert, SUJIR PATISHAPTA was born!



INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE FILLING]

RICE FLOUR : 1 MEDIUM TEA CUP
COCONUT FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
JAGGERY POWDER : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP [I USED DATE PALM JAGGERY]
SUGAR : 1 TBSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE CREPE]

SEMOLINA : 1 COFFEE MUG
SUGAR : 1 TBSP
OIL : 2-3 DROP
WATER : AS REQUIRED FOR A RUNNY BATTER

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE BENGALI DESSERT]

THE FILLING
THE BATTER FOR THE CREPES
FEW DROPS OF OIL TO GREASE THE PAN

PROCEDURE :


Although I have soaked the raw rice & pasted it; you will use rice flour because my initial purpose was different!

Mix together the rice flour, coconut flour, jaggery powder and mix together well! Add enough water to make a paste out of it!

Heat a wok, add the paste and stir cook until the sides come out clean! Once the mixture is thick, take out! Keep on a plate to cool!

Soak the semolina in water for 1/2 am hour, that is enough time if we are using the semolina available in this island! In my younger days, I have seen pithe-puli in India requires the semolina to soak for longer periods!

Thereafter, add the sugar & oil; mix well! Little by little add more of water to get a runny batter but not let it become a liquid consistency! Keep standing for 10-12 minutes!

Heat a pan on the gas top & grease with some oil; add a big spoonful of batter & spread it round as we do in case of a dosa! Our's need not be thin!

Keep the heat at minimal! Add some filling at one end & gently fold in! This step I am not expert at, I use my hands!

You can have them hot or at normal room temperature! We refrigerate, enjoy it stale! Always take them out from the refrigerator an hour before having!









No comments :

Post a Comment