Tuesday 4 July 2023

PAN SEARED CABBAGE SNACK



 

I CONSIDER IT THE END OF AN ERA!

I am talking about the demise of our maternal grandmother last Sunday, the 2nd of July, 2023 at 10:05 pm! It was a good day, the eve of Guru Poornima and her eldest daughter's birthday! She had three daughters & three sons! What an excellent home maker our grandma had been! Everyone visited her but the youngest son, his spouse, her youngest daughter were the caregivers! In her hay days, the then young eldest son shouldered big responsibilities for the family; may be that he cleaned my constipated potty, hence, I cannot ever avoid him, also took me to the Kolkata Airport to meet the Indian Cricket Team on his bike, once took me to meet Ravindra Jain, the musician, in a party! I must say, the eldest daughter when young witnessed and was a part of the struggle of her with six small kids, the grandfather was a State Bank Employee, not an industrialist! My brother who I thought lacks social responsibility as compared to Bidisha & Tamal, even to Jhum, was too responsible at the venue yesterday & these few days! Perhaps our grandmother wanted his shoulders on her last journey besides her sons; perhaps our maternal uncles wanted my brother to be with them with all genuine intents! Bhai made me feel proud yesterday, I told him several times only taking care of his parents is not enough; he has to look beyond his home! Would our son be the same supportive of his dadu, thamma, dimma? Bhai & Mani reported me everything about the happenings there, Bhai was too appreciative of our youngest maternal uncle, Babbu is a champion about shouldering responsibilities, our grandmother called him Babul! I am, our mother is friends with his wife, Boumoni! I am also happy that bhai specifically stayed beside the quiet Boromamu, the eldest of the three sons! It would take a book to I write about my relationship with the maternal grandparent's home; I was born in that home, my entire childhood was spent in that home. Until age 13, whilst in standard-7, I wished to stay in Krishnanagar; thats when one day, the father did hit me on my upper arms with a butter knife when I went berserk and told I do not need them, that I hate Kolkata and want to go back to my birthplace! At standard-8, may be the Almighty wanted me to start loving Kolkata & my real home; I fell for a young boy of my age group! To add more, the father's youngest brother is arriving today from Nagaon, Assam to be beside our mother for her 4th day rituals! How beautiful is that? Also, I was happy to hear that Bhai & Dodo / Manab goes to the office in the same metro rail every day! This is what I wish for, that all of us cousins stay put together and do the right thing, do not be the parent's pet!

IT IS ALSO AN INDEPENDENCE DAY IN THE COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE OF OUR COLLEGE GOING SON!

Okay, I had to go to the Indian market area, I have ordered for a God Altar, they called me to see before the final touch! I went to the Iyengar Bhavan, had their Kanchipuram Idli, super soft! They told next time onwards, I must ask them to make my food spicy! That amount of milk in a sugar-free tea caused me acidity! 


I like home cooked food these days but if I am outside, that I am most of the days, I would prefer outside food!




The most loved combo of the Bengalis; "Luchi-Mutton" does not attract me anymore, I would prefer it with "aloo bhaja, begun bhaja, aloor dum"! Anyway, I planned to share this snacks today, after all it is the Independence Day in the country where our son resides as a college going student! I knew the grandmother would pass away any day & if the two coincides, I can go ahead with this recipe! In the past one year, she was unable to have rice meals! Her youngest daughter-in-law would cook "variety tiffin" for her, stuffs people usually take in  the "lunch boxes" to school, college, office! Well, that may not be sandwiches but she loved "mishti bun ruti" / sweet buns with her tea! Egg free cakes & soft buns she used to enjoy whilst in Kolkata! I wish I can cook & share soft, lightly sweet bun some day and share with you all! Also, today is not the right day to share anything bread! Her elder son-in-law was not fond of breads & buns! Our father was too respectful towards the elders, hence received love from many!

WHAT IS THIS PAN SEARED CABBAGE SNACK?

We had a little of cabbage left in the refrigerator, what to do with it? Trust me, I did not hear the word Okonomiyaki, a kind of Japanese pancake until last Friday! I only knew I have to do something that the west can have, that we can also enjoy on a Friday night! I took out the cornmeal, rice flour, chopped the cabbage, onion & green chillies, some regular use spice powders & here you are! The only thing required to make them taste good & crisp is our patience! I do not know why, but I wished to make this vegetarian PAN SEARED CABBAGE SNACK, vegan & gluten-free too! You can keep adding to it different fresh herbs & dry fruits, I did not!


INGREDIENTS :

SHREDDED CABBAGE : OF 1 SMALL SIZED
CHOPPED ONION : OF 2 MEDIUM SIZED
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : OF 2-3
RICE FLOUR : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
CORN MEAL : 1/4 COFFEE MUG
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
DRY MANGO POWDER : 1 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1 TSP [OPTIONAL]
HALFED CASHEW NUT : TO GARNISH
OIL : 2 TSP FOR EACH ONE

PROCEDURE :


We would take the shredded cabbage & chopped onion & green chillies in a colander & wash well! We would let the water drain and take them in a bowl!

We would add all of the spices, salt, turmeric, rice flour, corn meal to the bowl and mix well!

We would not add water! We would wet our hands and mix the things, repeat it until they bind together well without been soggy!

We would tear off portions & flatten between the palms, even the edges to make cutlet shape!

We would heat a pan on the gas top & grease with oil! We would place one uncooked snack & place a cashew nut in the middl roast both side well & then add the oil, slow cook well altering both sides a couple of time! All of the cooking is to be done at minimal heat!

We would serve & have it fresh & hot with our choice of sauces or dips!








No comments :

Post a Comment