Monday 31 July 2023

HEALTHY FLOURS EASY MAKE APPE


 A SUNDAY SPENT HAVING FAILED TO BAKE WELL!

The above says I lack the knowledge of baking which eventually proves my poor baking skills! Also, a mini toaster oven is not capable of all of the good bakes! It does not make me that sad, baking is not a prime cooking activity among us! But baking is therapeutic, I have experienced it! Yesterday, I failed at my baking venture! Just when I was to get irritated, our son called, what else can make me happier? It was my mistake wanting to bake fully vegan & gluten-free buns! It does not work always using homely flours; pricier gluten-free flour varieties are required I guess! Also, one has to have good knowledge about the do's & don'ts of baking! I am an amateurish baker, look at who I am? I grow "kharkol pata" at home, now regret why I uprooted the "biliti dhonepata" / Saw Tooth Coriander plants! I am loving with more of vigour the rustic Bengali dishes! Is it aging or an in-built trait of  a middle-class Bengali? Anyway, last night I finally baked some buns using baking powder, I wasted two packs of yeast, each weighing may be 85 gm, ran out of stock!



But I wished that we have a homemade bun & chicken curry meal for dinner, it was Christine's off day! I think the mistake I did was to garnish with the cheese slices! Because they browned, I could not bake furthermore the buns to get a burnt top! They tasted good but I prefer yeast breads, fluffier pockets, soft to the core!

THE NEWS OF THE WEEK CAN BE THAT I ATE A FULL SIZED POMFRET, DID NOT PUKE!

That happened yesterday, at the lunch time! The week before I was too disappointed having cooked stale fish & poor quality mutton! This week, I shopped locally making up my mind if I have to have non-veg food, I would buy it fresh! I got home chicken & silver pomfret! Of the various varieties of pomfret fish available here, I can have only the smaller, silvery ones! The rest are too smelly, even the large, silvery ones! It is not always misery working inside!


I liked my meal, may not be as good as a Hilsa, Tyangra, Aar, Pabda, Koi Mach meal! At least, having a fresh catch has some nutritional value! I can sacrifice having  my choice of fresh water fish until my Kolkata visits! But I cannot turn to be a vegetarian on a regular basis, I am a hardcore Bengali who refuses to eat vegetarian meals throughout the year! Non-Vegetarian eaters    must continue to thrive, there are ways for the vegetarians to avoid the smell & discomfort without asking the world to go vegetarian, the expectation itself is absurd!

WHAT IS THIS HEALTHY FLOURS  EASY MAKE APPE?

Ever since, I have learnt about the existence of an appe pan, about the varied kinds of snacks we can prepare in it, I got thrilled! I did not take much of time to buy one & try different combination of ingredients for a batter to make snacks, more or less healthy! I wouldn't claim an appe pan uses few drops of oil as in case of an air fryer! It definitely uses way less of oil than a deep fry demands! I am telling you, I would try breaded fries in an appe pan sooner, say with minced chicken & fish! This morning, I cooked those spicy cornmeal, rice flour & oatmeal appe & they were super crisp until hot! Unfortunately, we could not have them fresh & hot, that is highly recommended! 


I named this vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian spicy snacks, HEALTHY FLOURS EASY MAKE APPE! If you are making it for the kids, skip or lessen the use of spices & green chillies! The use of those enhanced the taste though, if the cooking medium be ghee, the flavour would be awesome! Also you can keep adding vegetables to the batter!


INGREDIENTS :

OATMEAL : 1 COFFEE MUG
CORNMEAL : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 2-3 TBSP
CORN FLOUR : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED ONION : 1 SMALL TEA CUP SIZE
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1 TSP + 1 TSP FOR EACH OF THE SNACK

PROCEDURE :


Take all of the four variety of flours in a bowl & add some water! Add the salt, use a hand beater to mix and turn it onto a smooth batter! 

Thereafter, add the spice powders, beat again! Add the washed & chopped onion & green chillies, 1 tsp oil, beat again! Keep covered for 10-15 minutes!


Put on the flame a clean appe pan, add 1 tsp to each of the pocket! Let the oil get hot!

Keep the heat between minimal & low all through! Once the oil is hot, use a table spoon or two to fill the pockets! Let one side cook well! It may take 4-5 minutes at low heat! Turn over to cook the other side which may take another few minutes!

Strain as much as possible the oil whilst taking them out of the pan!

Serve & have them hot & fresh with a choice of chutney, sauce, dip!





No comments :

Post a Comment