Monday 20 November 2023

CRISPY BAKED PASTRY SHEET ROLL





AFTER A PRETTY LONG TIME, I AM WRITING A BLOGPOST, A FEEL GOOD THING FOR SURE!

Yesterday was a day full of tensed moments! It was World Cup Cricket's Final Match last evening, India was one of the contestant! You can imagine the amount of pressure on our minds! The man hides it tactfully, I am expressive! We have to accept that the Australian Cricket Team had been strong all through, they do not go out of form ever! Our son never sits to watch a game of cricket, he is an ardent fan of Formula-1 matches, of what else mumma does not know! In my side of the family, except for me, every one else had been good in sports; all of the three sisters including our mother earned medals in sports, the father played football, my brother used to be a good swimmer, cricketer, sprinter! The entire family would watch any sport on our black & white television, the maternal grandfather who stayed with us in Kolkata during his posting there would insist all of us watch the important football, cricket, lawn tennis matches! Then the man entered my life who did not play any game but is fond of watching sports! I would sit with him & watch the game of cricket! I do not watch the Wimbledon or American Open anymore! Well, to watch the Gymnasts perform in the Olympics used to be my another hobby! I am myself far from playing any game! Today, I feel I had to learn something besides the text books, may be music!

HOW DO I SPEND MY SUNDAYS?

Ever since the son has left for his college, we hardly have anything to do on this day! For long, I continued the practice of getting store bought food for the man! Then one day, I stopped going out to the mall opposite to fetch food! Sundays seem long with most of the cooking done on the Saturdays! Yet, at least one meal I wish to cook on a Sunday, it can be the simplest! I enjoy the exercise, it helps me spend some quality time! The son would not pick up the phone always, the man would prefer having his beer, wine or whisky over going out with me on a lunch date! I have a license but cannot drive, drink driving is out of question at this home! Every country should have strict rules with regards to drink driving & playing music while driving! Yesterday, under the stress of India's possibility of losing the match, I cooked this!


For yesterday's lunch, we had a scrumptious Bengali platter, all items of our choice! That chicken curry I wish to blog about, I liked it! Today, after a swimming session, my first meal was a noodle bowl, corn+butter+chilli+salt cup & I do the latter better than any outlet selling it!


The problem is I cannot have that butter corn cup alone for a better looking, fitter body! Hence, my hanging belly keeps showing up prominent! Cristine cooked the noodles pretty well!

WHAT IS THIS CRISPY BAKED PASTRY SHEET ROLL?

I always have a pastry sheet packet kept in my freezer, I like cooking various snacks using it! The problem is I am poor at shaping them with the filling! Cristine wasn't around, I rolled them the simplest way because they were to be baked! I do like Bengali style rolls, specially the egg rolls but cannot digest those heavy stuffs! I started liking spring rolls when I first had them in my college days, did not have much of idea how Far East had it or South East Asia had it! I only knew it as Chinese Food! Funny enough, sitting in Singapore, I find their spring rolls pretty bland, having only some shredded & boiled cabbage or turnips with a hint of salt! For a desi like me, it is not welcome! Also spring rolls are deep fried! If I have learnt using pastry sheets for snacks that are oven cooked just brushing some oil, why would not I? I do have one or two similar recipes in the blog! The filling made for this CRISPY FRIED PASTRY SHEET ROLLS is one of a kind! Though I wished for a vegetarian snack, sometime back I discovered this Spring Home's pastry sheets have eggs used in the making, consider these non-vegetarian snackers!


INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE FILLING]

CHOPPED CARROT : A BOWLFUL
BOILED POTATO : A BOWLFUL
CHOPPED ONION : 2 TBSP
ROASTED PEANUT : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED COCONUT : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1 TSP
CURRY LEAF : 7-8
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1/2 TSP
DRY MANGO POWDER : 1 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/4 TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA : A PINCH
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 1 TSP

INGREDIENTS : [FOR THE BAKED ROLLS]

THE FILLING
THE PASTRY SHEETS
SOME OIL OR GHEE OR BUTTER TO BRUSH

PROCEDURE :


Take the cut coconut, carrot, onion, green chillies together, wash & marinate with salt & turmeric! 

Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok, temper with the cumin seeds & asafoetida!

Add the marinated vegetables, stir & cover cook! My initial plan was not to add the boiled potato, later I changed my mind, I love potatoes!

Remove the cover, add the rest of the spice powders, curry leaves & give a stir! Add the boiled & mashed potatoes, fold in well! 

Add the roasted peanuts, fold in well & take down! Let it cool!


Cristine wasn't there at home & I am poor at folding a pastry sheet!

I felt free to just roll them & bake! I filled one side with some filling, applied water to the two ends, rolled the simplest way, pressed!

I greased one oven proof tray and placed the rolls with the two ends side placed down! I brushed some ghee on them for a better flavour!

Inside my convection mode microwave, I placed the low height wired stand, preheated the oven at 160*C!

I had placed the oven proof plate inside, closed the door, baked for 15 minutes at 160*C! 

The cooking time varies for different machines, be careful!















No comments :

Post a Comment