Monday 12 August 2024

VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE KOKI


 I WAS DOING NOTHING SINCE THE MORNING!

Yet I started to write late. I am not in the mood to write a new blogpost today but I have to share this. I am pretty happy with the outcome, not that happy with the photo feature though. To concentrate on something at a stretch you require a calm state of mind. When something bothers me, I cannot stay cool. I do not get vocal at every issue does not mean I lack the concern. Many of us do have grudges against the system, we do want to voice our displeasure but we cannot do that out of fear, for  our safety. I did not teach our son to be fearless, his life is precious to me / us parents. It is pathetic how we are made to live in fear, only the powerful few exercise control on us. If there is danger waiting outside our doors, we have to be cautious about the dangers, there is no point questioning why we do not have the freedom to live our own ways. We just want a decent society to roam free, the women's plight are worser. When I feel pathetic, I usually go out to somewhere or cook something but I decided to write a new blogpost. Although, we live a secured life in this island, we cannot be that selfish not to think about our fellow countrymen, family and friends.

NOT IN THE NORMAL RYTHYM, I FORGOT CLICKING MY SUNDAY MEALS!

I updated the Potato Biryani blogpost yesterday which took me half of the day, Cristine is not around on a Sunday. The man perhaps enjoyed it but for reasons unknown he would never admit I cook good biryani if not with an expertise. I kept a bowlful for Cristine, she had for lunch today, praised it. I had to cook the rice slightly more, I use minimal oil and ghee in a biryani, put it in dum on the gas top, I should not expect the half-cooked rice to fluff and double in amount. The fun is that even some of Kolkata's renowned joint's biryani rice remain slightly under-cooked. Biryani made with over-cooked rice does not work for the Indian Bengalis. Yesterday night, I made cooked semolina parathas, the dough got softer, the parathas were smooth but I did not wish to click them. My food has to taste good and look good too, unfortunately that does not happen always. For my first meal I had air-fried Bengali French Toast and it tasted lame. I would have it rare but I would have it fried in oil.



Watermelon soothes my system. But overeating watermelon and litchi causes severe stomach congestion!

WHAT IS VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE KOKI?

Koki is Sindhi Community's breakfast bread. I learnt that pretty late in life. My food blogging journey has taught me about different cuisines, yet not done. Sindhi Koki can be sweet or savoury. The dough uses a mix of whole-wheat flour and gram flour. I wished to do it but a vegan & gluten-free version, so that I can blog about it and make others try my recipe. I do not buy pricier gluten-free flours. Also millet flours are not for me, I have hypothyroidism. The man and Cristine wants bread made of wheat flour and refined flour only. When the son stayed with us, he liked having sticky brown rice along with me, do not know if he would have liked gluten-free flours or not. At this time, I am using only sattu and besan for my gluten-free breads. I felt the VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE KOKI bread making would not be that difficult as it demands a tight dough for it's making and that it's a thick bread. 


That I did, I used roasted gram flour / sattu and the raw gram flour / besan for the making of the vegetarian Sindhi flat-bread, the rest used remains the same as original.


INGREDIENTS :

ROASTED GRAM FLOUR / SATTU : 1 COFFEE MUG
GRAM FLOUR / BESAN : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
CHOPPED ONION : 3 TBSP
CHOPPED CORIANDER : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2 TSP
CAROM SEED / AJWAIN : 1/2 TSP
CUMIN SEED JEERA : 1/4 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/4 TSP
SALT : A LITTLE
OIL : 2 TBSP + A LITTLE TO BRUSH EACH SIDE OF A BREAD

PROCEDURE :


I had taken the two flours, salt, carom and cumin seeds, crushed black pepper in a wide-mouthed bowl and mixed well.

Thereafter, I added to it the chopped and washed fresh coriander, green chillies, onions and 2 tbsp of oil. I mixed together everything.

We are required to prepare a tight dough, not knead it. I did wet my right palm 2-3 times and brought together everything.

I kept the dough covered for 10-12 minutes, kneaded for a minute,  tore off portions, pressed flat each between my palms.

I used the sattu flour / roasted gram flour to dust each ball and rolled thick flatbread. Then I made shallow slits with a knife as a Sindhi Koki bread demands.

I heated a griddle, roasted both sides of each paratha until brown, brushed oil on both the sides, roasted again, done.

I enjoyed them with thick, plain yogurt and sweet boondi.






No comments :

Post a Comment