Monday 29 July 2024

SPICED BROWN RICE PATTIES


ANOTHER MONDAY ARRIVED AND I HAVE NOTHING NEW IN MY KITTY!

I am still not bored with life, getting to live is beautiful. I I do not have a success story about myself to tell you but I have tales to tell about my own; the son, man, brother, sisters, even about our mother's same old stories of her inhibitions. Most importantly, I am yet to taste many a dishes. The Burger King has recently launched a 3$ worth Chocolate Affogato done with Milo. I don't know why they did not name it Milo Affogato. I am not a chocolate fan, yet would try it. Affogato is new to me, you would not find it easily in Kolkata. I did not have it till date because I was unwilling to spend some 8$-10$ on something that has chocolate in it, that I have never tasted. I would not mind spending 3$ to try it. A couple of new items Burger King has launched, Cempedek Mochi to the chilli-garlic balls, it's decent pricing attracts me. I love most Popeye's fried chicken; earlier KFC's was my favourite. I still have KFC's given Popeye's is a bit pricier, but it's garlic rice and the spice factor of the fried chicken is unmatched. Then, you would not find it's branches easily here like KFC and MacDonald. I remember I first had a fish burger meal at the MacDonald of Essel World, Borivali, Mumbai back in 1999.

IN 1999, IT FELT KOLKATA IS LAGGING BEHIND!

Back to Kolkata from Mumbai, I felt I have to move out of Kolkata. I do not earn, I do not have to bother about the finance, I wanted to taste how life is in a financially stable place. That happened after 11 years, in 2010, we did not move to Mumbai but to another seaside, in this island. No one can say I spend extravagantly but I enjoy the upwardly living standard of a first world country. Since I do not have to earn, I remain obsessed with the jazzy outlook. The mother is in safe hands and happy in her world. May be I am self-centric and have no qualms thinking in this way that our mother has led the household the way she wanted, she has lived without much of regrets, I need to concentrate more on our son's future. Your kids need your care and attention, it comes naturally to me. Not a minute I can stay without thinking about the son. Today, I wish to wrap up quick and watch something on the OTT Platform.

WHAT IS SPICED BROWN RICE PATTIES?

The idea behind this can be the Arancini, actually not the Arancini but from the Bengalis' version of Arancini, "leftover rice pakora"! We rarely would have it. Our mother would cook fresh the right measure. Unless there had guests at home, not much of leftovers would be there. I know about Arancini for the past ten years of blogging. Before I have started the blogging journey, I shared the leftover rice pakora pictures in G+, later I found out it is common among the other South Asians, many bloggers did blog about it. I thought of blogging about leftover khichuri pakora, did not happen as yet. Another source of idea can be the Moss chain's rice burgers, I have to taste it. The SPICED BROWN RICE PATTIES are vegan and gluten-free with the added goodness of vegetables and herbs, some spices. The local brand turnip and cabbage pickle somewhat near to Kimchi in taste gives it an Oriental touch.



INGREDIENTS :

COOKED BROWN RICE : 1 COFFEE MUG
CARROT : 1 STANDARD SIZED
GREEN BEAN : 3-4
RED CHILLI PADI : 2 [OR USE CHILLI FLAKES]
GREEN CHILLI : 2
CORIANDER LEAVES : 2 SPRIGS
ONION : 1
GARLIC : 2-3 CLOVES
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1/2 TSP
LEMON JUICE : 2-3 TBSP
CORNFLOUR : 1 TBSP
A PICKLE OF CHOICE : 2 TBSP [I USED A LOCAL OILY TURNIP AND CABBAGE PICKLE] 
SALT : AS REQUIRED

PROCEDURE :


Wash the brown rice 3-4 times and soak in water for 2 hours.

Peel, cut and wash the vegetables, take in a mincer and mince.

Take the rice and 2 coffee mugs of fresh water in a pressure cooker, cook up to 3-4 whistles at minimal heat.

Once the lid opens, mash the rice grains a bit. Transfer to a bowl.

Add to it the rest of the ingredients, shape into patties. Grease an oven proof plate with a bit of oil and place the patties on it.

Mine is a convection mode microwave oven, I placed the high wired stool inside and on top of it the oven proof plate with the patties.

I cooked them in grill mode for 15-16 minutes. Enjoy them with sauce. Adding an egg or two to the mixture would have made the patties tastier, but I wished them to be vegan and gluten-free.



No comments :

Post a Comment