Friday 21 June 2019

MUSHUR DAL ER BORI


I felt I have to share the recipe of this condiment today or never. There may not be any constructive reasons behind this thought, I am just that way.... whimsical... "uthlo bai Katak jai?" Although bori / dal vadi / sun dried lentil dumpling is considered a condiment among us, this particular variety that is done with red lentil / mushurir dal is had as a fritter. We usually have it with a serving of rice and dal. Using it as a condiment will not earn you a penalty either. This was the first time I tried my hands on a "bori with mushurir dal", the grand mother too did not do it ever, she did "BEULIR DAL ER BORI" only. The family says MUSHUR DAL ER BORI is an "edeshio" thing. Oh God! again that divide. I am not really interested but I will always call myself a "Bangal" and prepare any variety of  sun dried lentil dumpling as part of my "Bengali" identity. I may not be doing justice to some sharing this today but then there is a birthday of the people around every other day, I cannot get stuck in that, my wishes has to be fulfilled by me.... no one is going to feel it or respect it. 

Knowing the surrounding, I have learnt to lower my expectation level. It has shrunk to minimal. If I see anything around that does not suit my taste bud, I do not feel frustrated, I know now that the world is not my property but I reserve the right whether to accept it or not and do not miss a chance to prove my point in my own space. I really do not care who thinks what of me. So long I am not using you for a personal gain, I really do not care. In most cases, I give more than I take. If anyone of you have helped me in the journey, I have also shown allegiance to the extreme level without caring of the fact it may not prove beneficial to me. Now that every thing is being given and taken, I should be able to be myself, walk alone in the woods.... T should be there to find me out if I get lost. My men are not fond of bori / dal vadi / sun-dried lentil dumpling, that does not stop me from preparing them catering to my own satisfaction.

I actually had a pandan cake in hand, could be shared today.... may be at a later date? The family told they liked it. The son prefers plain cakes without any nuts or fruits in them, the grandmother says she too prefers a plain cake. I have photographed the cake which is simply done with few ingredients. I will share the recipe when I wish to. Mood Swing is a malice I live with. It feels happy when the family says my simple bakes are good, if not professional.


The lady at this home is fond of "toast biscuit".... in fact all the "lero varieties" of the Kolkata tea stalls, so it has to be in stock. I am frantically looking for the recipe of that particular "cha er dokan er kalojeerey deoa suji biskut".... yet to get in hand.... Google search is not much of a help in this matter, I must ask the Kolkata road side tea stall owners about the current source, oh! God I do not even get the time to visit the factory or bakery where it is made.... may be it is located in Howrah. Who told you my Kolkata visit means roaming around in the Quest Mall? I do not even visit those favourite  saree shops in Park Street fearing heavy investments. I prefer the Government Emporiums these days. There is nothing called "dedicated allegiance" these days, unless you are showing it to me. All fruits should be tasted at a price. Coming to the to be fried condiment MUSHUR DAL ER BORI, it requires two to three ingredients.... red lentil / mushurir dal, water and the required amount of salt..... okay, sunlight too.... a dry weather helps. A humid climate spoils them.... hence Bengal prepares it in winter. The concept of "shitkalin rod jorano chad" vanished from most of our lives does not mean I can be stopped from trying them. I am thankful to our island's "bori-achar" friendly weather. Oh! the mother is appreciative of our island, more of its healthy greens, I am not the one who will allow her to carry a single variety of seedling from here. Yes, the daughter is treating her with whatever she likes.... from taking her to greenery filled parks to a famous "kali" temple to a prawn-noodle soup counter. An average, elderly Bengali loses interest in meat gradually,  they did not grow up eating chicken so not fond of it, the ratio of wanting to have mutton compared to fish is 1: 4 and Bengal is used to having sweet water fish. So, I am preparing more number of vegetarian dishes. Come, let us enjoy doing the condiment together. I am in a good mood, the mother is appreciating my cooking, then we had another round of "pui patar bora" yesterday, I already have the recipe shared in the blog as part of a combined post, can we make a separate post sooner with the pictures I clicked yesterday night?


INGREDIENTS :

MASOOR / MUSHURI / RED LENTIL : 200-250GM [you can increase the amount for a bulk produce]

SALT : AS REQUIRED TO ADD TASTE

WATER : AS MUCH REQUIRED TO SOAK THE DAL

PROCEDURE :

Wash and soak the mushur / red lentil in enough water for 2 hours.


Drain the water, prepare a paste in the blender in batches. If required, sprinkle water a little doing the step. However, traditionally it is done with a slightly coarse paste.


Now comes the most crucial part of a bori / dal vadi making process. We need to beat it for a longer period, definitely not less than 1/2 an hour. If you have a Cristine, she will take the responsibility without a frown. If I did it for 10 minutes, she did it for double the time.

Add the salt before you start to beat. You will know your batter is ready when you pour a bit of it on a  bowlful of water and it floats, do not sink.



Now take clean trays or plates, preferably of steel. Spread a thin, cotton white cloth on them. I followed no rules and did casually. Usually, mushur daler bori is small in size, I lack artistry in me miserably, went my way. 


Now they require 15-20 days of drying in open. I thank our island not to put me under stress with regards to this.

After 5-6 days, they have just started to dry on the outside.


After 15 days I could manage them in one tray.


After few more days, the mother turned them over.


During the process, each night we will keep the trays on an open table and cover lightly allowing air to get in but not flies.

Once done, I store them in a jar and refrigerate for a safe consumption. In the yesteryears, how they preserved outside I do wonder, I am sure there are no preservatives being used in it ever.

Store bought ones can never give you the right taste, do try my recipe if you may.








No comments :

Post a Comment