Friday 7 February 2020

BEET GAJOR ALOO DIYE PATHAR MANGSHO


When its mutton, it feels like going straight to sharing the recipe, then run to the nearest shop, buy some and prepare a fresh batch. It is true that the mutton variety here is not as per our taste. Bengal breeds way more good quality of mutton. Then, it is also true that we cannot wait all the year round to travel to Kolkata, have mutton and thereafter forget all about it for the next one year. What is surprising is that I can eat chicken bought in Kolkata, here it seems tasteless. Anyway, I tried using a little more of oil and garlic while cooking chicken last time, I enjoyed the basic Bengali Chicken Curry with Potatoes. Garlic here does not have that smell it should have. So, I am learning the tricks to make the meat curries acceptable to my taste buds. In this more or less healthy mutton curry,  I washed the meat pieces thoroughly, marinated them with salt for an hour, washed! Again, I marinated them with the spices , salt, lemon juice. Chicken & Fish Stews were a regular when our kid was a toddler and was still a kid. Thereafter, it does not happen on a regular basis, whilst I know if I do a meat or fish stew with a lot of vegetables and serve them with a pulao or ruti, porota, toasted bread; they will be more than happy.

No, I am not against the western world; I cannot be pro-west either. This is a typical Indian / Bengali soul. This Blog CURRY AND SPICE is meant to share rustic, simple, regional & Indian recipes mainly. However, going by the likings of the grandmother & mother, I enjoy "mishti bun ruti aar cha." They keep coming for the men. The son loves while the man would allow them only in his snack box. 


I love these frill free breads & cakes is true, I am having them less but. This morning, Cristine offered me one and I am too weak to say a no. The greedy self had a full, now planning to have a little of muri  / puffed rice with half a mango. Do you feel like battering me? I give you the liberty to. Next week is my monthly check up.  Ok, the "Aam-Muri" has arrived and these Thai Honey Mangoes are truly honey like sweet. 


What do you wish to do with me? Do it asap! Anyway, with a demonic diet I am not going to live longer. Once this post about a mutton curry with carrot, beet, potato BEET GAJOR ALOO DIYE PATHAR MANGSHO is over, I will go to the old neighbourhood walking, get my face cleaned and I must have a Yong Tao Fong or Mini Hot Pot Meal sans the noodles or rice. It does not help much but I cannot go truly healthy. Back home, I will cook few dishes in the evening and keep some to cook tomorrow. Else, I cannot catch the musical programme I am to attend tomorrow sharp at 6pm. Moreover, in the past two weeks I was only swimming which I can avail down below. I did not walk at all and the mother continues with what the entire family called me, "alosh, dhyaposh, kumropotash, chalkumri, nortey-chortey noimash." I never take things to the heart if they are coated with love.


INGREDIENTS :

MUTTON : 1KG
POTATO : 2-3 MEDIUM SIZED
BEET ROOT : 1-2 MEDIUMSIZED
CARROT : 2 STANDARD SIZED
TOMATO : 1-2 MEDIUM SIZED
GREEN CHILLI : 4-5
ONION : 10-12 SMALL SIZED / SHALLOT
GARLIC : 1BIG
GINGER PASTE : 1 TBSP
GARLIC PASTE : 1TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 2 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
BAYLEAF : 2
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
CINNAMON : 2-3 ONE INCH STICK
CLOVE : 2-3
LEMON JUICE : 4-5 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 4-5TBSP

PROCEDURE :


Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly. Marinate with some salt. Keep aside for an hour, wash thoroughly!

Wash again and marinate with salt, turmeric, lemon juice, ginger & garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder for an hour or two.

Meanwhile we have washed and chopped the tomatoes, sliced the onion!

Heat the oil in a cooker and temper the oil with bayleaves, whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, green & black cardamoms.

Add the marinated mutton and stir at high heat for 4-5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to minimum, just cover with a lid without the whistler on, keep checking every 3-4 minutes!


We will peel the beetroot, potatoes, carrot and cut them big, washed. We will wash and slit the green chillies too. 

We have taken them together and marinated with some salt, that only 5-6 minutes before adding them to the pressure cooker.

We would add the beetroot pieces after some 30 minutes of slow cooking the mutton!

Thereafter, we would add the tomato, potato, carrot pieces! We would fold in well, add a coffee mug of water & close tight the pressure cooker lid!

We would pressure cook at minimal heat unto one whistle!

Let the lid open naturally.

Serve it hot with steamed rice or with any bread variety. 




4 comments :

  1. Tomar blog onek din holo porchi. Aaj icche korlo likhi.
    Tomar mon theke simple lekha porte khub bhalo lagey. Ar tomar recipe o.
    Bhalo theko.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onek dhonyobaad. Apner plating o amader Bangali barir byaboharik rannaguli ato sundor korey tuley dhoren ta amar bisesh pochondo. Alap hoye khub bhalolaglo.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Amar plate er photo dekho jene khub bhalo laglo.
      Ar apni noye please … ami ekkebare tumi diye shuru korechi :-)
      Bhalo theko.

      Delete
    3. Accha tobey tumii choluk. Nishchoi dekhi, the sight of my kind of food gives me pleasure!

      Delete