Monday 24 February 2020

SHORSHE O PALONG SHAAK ER GHONTO



This was done because of my love for that Northern Indian "sarson da saag." Okay, I would prefer it with any variety of handmade bread. Now, there are hundreds of "sarson da saag" recipes in the net. A Bengali can go through a recipe on it, do it ditto but why should we Blog about it? Where is the satisfaction doing so? At the best, I do not think anyone would want to try my recipe of an authentic Panjabi dish. On my initial days of Blogging, I did Blog about "Amritsari Macchi" and got considerable amount of visits but these days I am totally against this. Moreover, I perform the best if I am given freedom in the kitchen, I shall not buy "araisho gram dalim er bichir guro" for one dish that may require a teaspoon of it. What has a Bengali to do with pomegranate seeds is not the question. I definitely do varied stuffs but with the supplies I know about. Extra baggages in my kitchen is unwelcome. What did I do a few minutes back? I prepared few ghee "porotas" with a mix of jowar, bajra, wheat flour and packed their lunch boxes along with the "okra & egg plant" fry. Thereafter, I did this oatmeal-banana cookies. It is done in less than 45 minutes with very few ingredients like powdered oats, mashed bananas, two tbsp of melted butter, 1/4tsp of baking powder and a pinch of baking soda. There is no amount of sugar or jaggery used. I am fed up with having tea with biscuits I do not enjoy. So, I am planning to make my own stuffs in batches.






 180*C, 19 minutes they took to get this look both sides. Look at this guy, I so requested to have a fresh cookie with his tea but he would not. He drives to office in an empty stomach. There is made at home cake and "gulabjamun" in his snack box which he will have in the evening. Yes, it is difficult to deal with such people who really do not act or behave normal, he inherited his mother's habits I am not fond of. I am not his father, neither do I have the voice of his mother to terrorise people. I would still not say life is terrible, definitely we share some common vibes. He might have similar complaints about me. I do not look back in life to reconsider this decision in life. I only know that he was the most trusted friend when I needed one the most, I was in dire need of a shoulder to rest at a time when it felt very lonely. I perhaps could not have trusted an unknown gentleman. What if I am left alone at some point in life? We do not get everything we wish for in one lifetime; the thing is there is no rebirth. Do make it lovable with all your virtues unless it is a case of treachery. Let this guy and his equally weird son have me made vegetarian spinach side dish with mustard greens and palak, a bit of coriander SHORSHE O PALONG SHAAK ER GHONTO with  flat breads & chicken.


The above two have put my life in an unrest mode and made it interesting too simultaneously. If I see people around doing everything in unison; going for shopping, walk, gym together; I do not get jealous. I just think what is the equation between them. I will not try to find the areas of fault between them. Some people around have this habit of smelling burnt milk in other homes. I dislike this. Take care of your own home, feed it, nurture it well. It is not that I do not wish to share thoughts with people; it seems no one wishes to be the friend I had been looking for.... how long?  Ever since I got married, I have lost my best friend for ever. Now the situation is such that I cannot give a piece of me to anyone. I absolutely hate the fact that people who I have held high play among themselves at my back. In that case they should find out another play ground and leave my backyard. What keeps me busy? Why after finishing off with my post today, I will go out and roam around; buy this and that, after sweating out shall sit in a food court and may have a noodle bowl. Whether I look back or far ahead, no-one should have a problem unless I bother them. Back home, I may mend the small patch of green. I am not reading for a while which is bad. Then my bundle of joy comes back home. Thereafter, I may go for a swim. You see I cannot diet, so thinking of doing a little of both swimming and walking in a day at least few days a week. Cristine actually is insisting me to. She is doing one paratha for me and I shall have an elaborate breakfast with "cha, oats o kolar cookies, ekta porota o bhindi-begun bhaja." In between all these, if anyone gives me a distress call.... "S! my wife is not keeping well"; S definitely goes with boxes full of food. "S! my husband is travelling, my help fled off and I cannot take leave now;" never mind S shall cook extra and fill your refrigerator racks with food. Thereafter, you may not find her around until when you really need her. I have seen approaching anyone without knowing their wish is silly. The one who values you will not play with your feelings. Better you gift them recipes as good as this vegetarian side with mustard greens & spinach SHORSHE O PALONG SHAAK ER GHONTO. Before that, I must have the breakfast Cristine has served.


I must say the oats-banana cookies this time got better but they are chewy and not crispy. I think I should not have noodles either for lunch and go for an yong tao fong or fish soup without any noodle or rice. Let us see. Exercise without dieting does not help. About that tall, overly underweight man; so long he gets disturbed when I go for outdoor activities on Saturdays and Sundays, I shall know that I am required in this home. Okay, I still go; "arey katha bolbi na, ooi tv cholbey full volume e jar awaz amar osojjo lagey; ki korbo statue r moto boshey theke? Teenjoney miley ektu drive e jai tobey, na tao jabena."



INGREDIENTS :

PALONG SHAAK / PALAK / SPINACH : A BUNCH
YOUNG MUSTARD GREEN : A BUNCH
FRESH CORIANDER : A SPRIG OR TWO
GREEN CHILLI : 2 STANDARD SIZED
SLICED ONION : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
MINCED GARLIC : 1 TBSP
MINCED GINGER : 1/2 TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1/ 2TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
AAMCHUR / DRY MANGO POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 3-4 PINCH
BAYLEAF : 1
DRY RED CHILLI : 2
SUGAR : 1 TSP [OPTIONAL]
SALT : AS REQUIRED
BUTTER : 2-3 TBSP
OIL : 2-3 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Let us clean the two bunches of spinach & the fresh herb varieties first. 


We need to discard the root ends and the yellow, worn out leaves. For the fresh coriander, just discard the roots, chop and wash taking in a strainer, keep it aside to use later.


Now, we have to chop the palak and mustard greens, take in a colander and wash thoroughly. Add a pinch or two of salt. to a bowl full of hot water & soak the chopped & washed mustard greens & spinach for an hour!


Thereafter, we would drain the water and prepare a paste of them adding two green chillies.


We would throw the root end of the fresh coriander, wash thoroughly and blend it to a paste. We would peel, wash, slice the onion; chop small & wash the ginger & garlic.



                             

We would the heat oil in a wok. We shall add the bay leaf, the dry red chillies and the chopped garlic & ginger.

We have to stir fry them to brown and then add the sliced onion.

Once the onions turn translucent, we need to add the pureed mustard greens / shorshe shaak and palong / spinach.



We would stir fry at medium heat for 5-6 minutes and add the turmeric+cumin+coriander powders & salt. We then stir fry at low heat for 3-4 minutes and let cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes! We need to give a stir in between.

We have to add the fresh coriander paste & the dry mango powder thereafter and give a stir. 



We would then adjust the salt and add the sugar if using. We would stir cook at medium heat for another 3-4 minutes!

We would transfer the spinach dish to a serving bowl and garnish with the butter.

We enjoyed the meal with Urad Dal Flatbreads and Moong Dal Halwa alongside; all made at home with love.













No comments :

Post a Comment