Friday 21 February 2020

NOLEN GUR ER NO BAKE PUDDING


Actually, my plan for today was to share a family recipe with a small fish variety. Yesterday afternoon, I felt let it happen on coming Monday. I was out for shopping weekly raw materials, finishing off which we were having a late lunch with "poori-chana-aloo & dosa" respectively. It was then I received few messages, we exchanged few words and notes about our families and on spot I decided I would share today something that may appeal to more number of people including the younger generation, "chuno maach" they may not fancy. I am very self centric is true, then there are certain situations, news that touch your soul; you get disturbed with something that is beyond normal and you rethink. So, late afternoon yesterday I closed my Facebook messenger with a bit of discomfort and decided to prepare a fresh batch of sweet as easy as this NOLEN GUR ER NO BAKE PUDDING. I used very few ingredients like milk, date palm jaggery, fresh cream, yogurt doing this. Sitting there I had a brief discussion with Cristine, "listen, once back home I will take some rest and prepare "roshogolla dunked in angur er syrup." Cristine knows that maam would not buy ingredients worth 50$ for a new dish to be made. Back home, her ma'am went to a deep sleep after a shower. When she woke up it was 7pm. The poor girl alone cleaned about three varieties of fish, they do not cut "magur maach" these days. The meat varieties mutton & chicken would be cleaned today and marinated to be cooked tomorrow. Thats what the meat sellers ask to do. If I could shop raw produce on a Saturday morning and cook once back it could have been better. Then, I am not my mother, I am extremely limited with my abilities. I had other recipes to share including the halwa I prepared day before yesterday. However, I had to use up a little of the leftover good variety of nolen gur / date palm jaggery and a box of fresh cream. A new "doi er kouto" too came in and I was too tired or it was too late to prepare "roshogolla."

Preparing this vegetarian, no bake sweet / dessert NOLEN GUR ER NO BAKE PUDDING was not a big exercise. If you are adding fresh cream and not using baking mode but setting it outside overnight; you cannot call it "doi"/ curd our kind, it turned to be like a yogurt like texture. I am absolutely fine with it. The men enjoy pudding / kheer like things and I am careful about the amount of sweet added so that Cristine can also have. I am not hoping, I know the one for whom I changed my plan yesterday would like. I make it a point to reach out to people when they are in a dire need of it. My share today will make someone feel very comfortable, I needed to say through this post that I am there for you. I cannot divulge in public more than this, a bit disturbed since yesterday. Besides, I have kept other factors in mind, the occasions around. I sincerely felt that going ahead with a very family like Bengali fish dish may not be okay for today, it can wait. Each day, this family has Bengali cooking at one meal. Look at what we ate yesterday night. "Doi-Tomato Dim, Mulo Diye Bhaja Moong er Dal, Fulkopir Bora, Kanchakola Aloo Diye Aar Maach er Matha."


I need nothing if I get "bhajabhuji", Cristine made them crispy. This morning, the dessert was ready to be refrigerated, we shall have it at night, okay the son would have it back from the school.



INGREDIENTS :

FULL CREAM MILK : 500-600ML [MARIGOLD TETRA PACK WORKS FOR ME]
FRESH CREAM : 50ML [I USE NESTLE / COW HEAD / MARIGOLD]
PLAIN YOGURT : 4TBSP
NOLEN / KHEJUR GUR / DATE PALM JAGGERY : 100ML
SUGAR : 2TSP [I USE BROWN SUGAR]
TOASTED & CHOPPED PISTACHIO FOR GARNISH

PROCEDURE :

I am using the following ingredients. If you wish you can add green cardamom powder or rose water to enhance the flavour quotient, I did not.


We have taken 500ml milk in a deep bottomed vessel and switched on the gas stove.

We shall keep the heat at minimal and bring it to boil. We shall add the sugar now.



We shall continue to boil the milk for another 7-8 minutes at minimal heat.


We shall take down the boiled milk now.


We shall add the fresh cream to the date palm jaggery and mix both well.



We shall add it to the hot milk and whisk very well.



We shall pour the entire thing to a glass / ceramic / earthen / steel pot.


We shall now take some of the sweetened milk in a bowl and add the plain yogurt to it. We shall whip very well.




We shall pour the entire mixture to the still warm sweetened milk and whisk very well.


We shall add 2 dry red chillies to help bind the mixture a bit.


We shall cover it with a lid. Then place a deep bottomed vessel upside down atop it. Now, it is time to wrap it with a towel.




Next morning or after 8-10 hours, we shall open the covers and remove the dry red chillies.


I garnished it with toasted, chopped pistachios. We must refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving it as a dessert.


No comments :

Post a Comment