Monday 10 February 2020

MORSHUMI TORITORKARI DIYE BHAAT BHAJA



I am starting to write late today, still reeling under the influence of a wonderful musical journey I had experienced last weekend. In fact, it was kind of a healing balm on my inability to attend the Kolkata Book Fair one more time. During this time of the year, I do miss Kolkata a bit more, visiting the Book Fair there was truly a thing of joy; taken together everything; the ambiance, the food, the book stalls, the attending stalwarts, those sitting on the ground with their amazing handiworks, the sweat of the little magazine owners. I remember meeting a college friend from the Bengali Honours Department at a Little Magazine Stall trying to sell his hard work. I did not buy his, after so many years today it pricks hard somewhere inside. I could get some smile to my friend's face. Leave that. The thing is that in such a scenario I cannot go beyond Bengal. Keeping in tune with my state of mind, here is a Bengali Breakfast with carrot, beetroot, green peas, potato & cooked rice MORSHUMI TORITORKARI DIYE BHAAT BHAJA. I so enjoyed having it during my pre-board examination vacations since my teens, then to the adulthood. All day stationed at home, I was more interested in the meals that would be served instead of the text books. Hence, I stand here today doing nothing. Just a note to some youngsters around, what are you doing in social media if you have examinations knocking at the door?

The above cannot be called a fried rice. It was just that Bengali Homes in those days did not measure the amount of rice before cooking. There could be guests anytime and the homes were equipped to feed them. Life in the Kolkata nests started getting a little different, guests did not come unnoticed and then what was to be done with the leftover rice? "Panta banao noyto bhajo!" During the examination time, fermented rice was not allowed; so this vegetarian, frill free rice and vegetable fry MORSHUMI TORITORKARI DIYE BHAAT BHAJA happened. Only two vegetables are missing here, beans & cauliflower which you can add. I forgot to add them. This morning the beans were made into good use. The husband took egg fried rice in his lunch box made by his wife, the son will go late having his lunch at home.


I do not know what he is writing in his paper. What I know is that he is focussed about his life unlike his mother. No, I do not think he would perform his best in the upcoming board examination, not studying at all neither has a Pavan Sir to help this time. His mumma just messed up with her life, so she adores talents. She met one such talent last Saturday and wrote good things about the said person without any expectations. Some famous people do not wish to forget their roots and struggle, with near one lakh followers in their personal profile alone, they wish to befriend this egoist. With teary eyes, I accept and bow. If you think I am dedicating this post to an enigmatic, cultural honcho, you are right. On a lighter tone, my "attar luchi with beans, gajor, peyaz, lanka bhaja" has arrived. No tips on diet can help me actually.


Let us cook the vegetables & rice stir fry.



INGREDIENTS :

COOKED RICE : 2 COFFEE MUG [I USED BASMATI]
POTATO : 1BIG
ONION : 1BIG
GREEN PEA : 3-4 TBSP
CARROT : 1 STANDARD SIZED
BEETROOT : 1 SMALL
GREEN CHILLI : 3-4
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4 TSP
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER : 1/2 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 4-5 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Although it used to be done with the leftover rice from the previous night in my family, I prepared it for the dinner and cooked the washed rice in enough water until 70% done.

I passed it through a colander to get it rid of water. It was kept in rest for 30-40 minutes.



The onions were peeled, ends discarded, washed and sliced thick, green chillies were chopped. Carrots and beetroots were washed, peeled, ends discarded and julienned. The potato was peeled, washed, halved, cut lengthwise or widthwise & rubbed with little salt. It was left to rest for 10 minutes. The green peas were washed and green chillies chopped. This cutting & chopping part being done by Cristine, nothing much was left for me to do.




Heat the oil in a wok and straightaway add the sliced onion and chopped green chillies. Stir at high heat for 2-3 minutes.



Reduce heat to the low, add the marinated potatoes and stir. Cover cook for 4-5 minutes at the minimal heat. Open cover and turn over in between.



Open cover and add the green peas. Stir at low heat for 2-3 minutes.



Add the julienned carrot and beetroot now and give a stir. Season with salt and black pepper and stir at high heat for a minute or two.




Serve hot with any side and a salad. We had it with some EGG DROP CURRY and MUSHURIR DAL O BANDHAKOPIR DHOKA.





No comments :

Post a Comment