Friday 27 March 2020

CHOTO MAACH ER MUCHMUCHEY PUR BHAJA



That was the last time I went to the wet market some two weeks back and got those fresh, smaller variety of fish. I do not know the exact local or English name of it. The fish vendor told me a name which I fear may not be right. It is a smaller variety of fish we get fresh in the local markets! I get it to eat deep fried given we are relieved of the job of cleaning the scales and all of us in the family enjoy fries & fritters with our dal & rice. In 2010, we moved to this beautiful island who are ferocious fish eaters; I cannot have the freshest of the varieties available here because  they are catches from the sea. I have requested my men to stick to pomfret and this kinds of few smaller varieties at home. I remember, when I was new to this island; I used to get king fish steaks and grill or pan seared them marinating in spices. I definitely ate a piece or two. What went wrong thereafter? I perhaps found the avenue to the Bangladeshi shops, or may be so I am totally into the shoes of the family veterans as I grew older. At present, I scare to get king fish steaks home. The "bideshi carp" so smelled that I could not go near the wet market till date. This small fish variety have made a place in my heart, they have no smell and we do not have to clean the scale but only the stomach and the gills. So this crisp fish fry with a smaller variety CHOTO MAACH ER MUCHMUCHEY PUR BHAJA is a regular affair at home.

We are really lucky to get enough produce not only to sustain but eat well. I do not know how long I can. Then shall come in rescue the noodles, pasta, different grain packets. Flours are used everyday at this home, I am just unwilling to hoard or clueless about how many kilograms of them should I store. We live in a small flat with no pantry or store room, where to keep? I totally believe in  a minimalist look of the space we live in. I keep discarding stuffs every year, my family does not back home. I scold; "shiprar maa oder diley to gorib manush gulor ektu upokar hoy." Anyway, I am thinking of cooking a vegetarian noodles dish for lunch today. Yesterday, we had turmeric rice and Amritsari Macchi for our dinner, updated the pictures of the Blog Post in the same name too! 


Tonight, I may do a quick red lentil "khichuri" and serve with a little of "begun bhaja  & cauliflower." Tomorrow, I shall again cook for 4-5 days and only prepare flatbreads & puffed breads as and when required. I shall not cook two times each day of the week, I keep myself free for other activities, sit with the man, go out for a solo walk away from the crowd, take along our help to mend the plants I grow. As of now, let us share this recipe of a crispy fried fish CHOTO MAACH ER MUCHMUCHEY PUR BHAJA that does not even require a batter to be made separately. We can use any smaller variety of fish that includes mourala, puti, amudi, choto tyangra, kechki, ikanbilis / anchioves. I also cooked ilish mach & moong dal on the day!



INGREDIENTS :

ANY SMALLER VARIETY OF FISH : 250-300GM
RICE FLOUR : 2TBSP
GRAM FLOUR : 2TSP
CORN FLOUR : 2 TSP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 2TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 50ML

PROCEDURE :

The first thing we will do is to clean the stomach of each with our fingers and discard the gills. We will wash them thoroughly under running water. 

We will drain the water. We will add salt, turmeric & red chilli powders, all the flours, washed and chopped green chillies to the fish. We will coat each and mix well.

We will keep the bowl covered aside for 10-12 minutes.


We will heat oil in a heavy, deep bottomed wok. If we fry them in flat pans, they take more time and are not fried evenly. They tend to burn too. I do not either use too much oil for frying. Though I reuse cooked oil, I am against it.

What should we do then? We have to cook few fishes at a time and adjust the heat continuously throughout the cooking period.



We will cook both sides till crisp, take out and place on to tissue papers.



We will serve them hot with rice & dal or have them as a snack with tea / coffee / hard drinks!




No comments :

Post a Comment