Monday 30 March 2020

VEGETARIAN NOODLES


The above is what we ate as lunch last Friday. If not in this crisis, I would not have known that one cauliflower can be made into three different uses on three different days. Corona Virus is teaching us few good lessons of life. I would still hold the view that we did not want it in our lives. It's spread rate is so horrifying. Yesterday, I went for a walk in the neighbourhood; the surrounding looked more quiet. I was purposefully using the lanes & bylanes which in general wear a deserted look, now more. At one time I had to come to a locality. Instead of going to the super market and queue amidst crowd, I preferred a Southern Indian Minimart to buy 10kg of rice, 5kg of wheat flour, semolina, Kabuli chana to get prepared for the worst days. It is very tough for a Bengali to live alone on chana & dal curries and roti or sambar & rice. We are not used to simple eating, "amader ekta maach ba mangsho ba dimer jhol, torkari, dal lagei." I still can arrange for two vegetarian and one non-vegetarian meal per day for my family. Back home, I kept the stroller as it is for Cristine to come back and make space for them in the cupboard. Yes, I am a bit disappointed that she went out to meet her aunt and had lunch in a food court. Unless there is a total lockdown, you cannot stop them. She was back home early and told us that the metro rails have less people in them, some exits of the malls & metro rails are closed. I am visiting the mall only once a week to get fish, meat, vegetables from NTUC that has limited the amount we can buy at a time which is good. I trust the government, they shall act according to the need of the hour. As residents, we should step up for our own safety and cook with few ingredients, no fancy meals like this VEGETARIAN NOODLES dish with some left over carrots, cauliflower, French beans. When better days come, we will throw in some prawns or chicken or eggs to it.

Anyway, back home I planted those in all the candle stands I bought way back to light a number of candles each evening. Thinking in such a small flat it may cause fire hazard, I never did. I picked the greens from the road side. I do not even know if they shall survive. They grow medium height and bear a yellow-red flower and my pots are so small. I just want few leaves to grow.


I am just trying to engage myself. Yesterday, after doing the above job, I dusted and  mopped the entire flat with dettol water, washed the toilets, took shower and ate lunch at 5pm. I felt why should I go out for two different exercises on a Sunday not mopping my home. Every Sunday, I should take charge of my home though after much pestering Cristine's cleaning sense has turned better. This morning, I had sent the tissue box with a "chokmokey" cover to the dining table, kept the handcrafted box in the living area that my friend from Lahore had sent me. I too like handcrafted stuffs but do not spend on the decor of a rented home, lack ideas too.



Right now, the man is working on the list of evacuated seamen from the different parts of the world. I can hear the conversation. He was telling his friends that he is purposefully skipping breakfast even if he wants at times because he is totally stationed at home. However, when it comes to cigar and tea, he acts devilish. Me and the son have to have breakfast. Today I am having homemade yogurt, banana with oatmeal, shall end up eating two biscuits with tea which is wrong.



About this VEGETARIAN NOODLES, we enjoy noodles as a family although I love more a Bengali style fried with eggs, potato, onion, chillies. I used only soya sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, few cauliflower florets, French Beans, carrot pieces. I served it with some chicken nuggets that needed to be finished. We could do without it. The man & Cristine had two each of the nuggets, I had one and the son got three. I do not like nuggets.


Let us proceed to the easy recipe.



INGREDIENTS :

NOODLE : 400GM [AVOID INSTANT VARIETIES]
CAULIFLOWER FLORET : 1MEDIUM TEA CUP
SLICED FRENCH BEAN : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SHREDDED CARROT : 1SMALL TEA CUP
CUBED ONION : 1SMALL TEA CUP
CHOPPED GREEN CHILLI : 1TBSP
MINCED GARLIC : 2TSP
MINCED GINGER : 1TSP
LIGHT SOY SAUCE : 1/4SMALL TEA CUP
VINEGAR : 2-3TBSP
SESAME OIL : 2TBSP
CORN FLOUR : 2TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2TBSP + 2TBSP + 1TBSP

PROCEDURE :

I do not boil the noodles in water, I immerse the broken noodle in boiled water for 4-5 minutes after adding some salt and 1tbsp oil in the water.

We will put a vessel half filled with water for boil.


We will switch off the gas oven and then add the noodle cakes to it. The packet is near the burner because it is switched off. Remember it.



After 4-5 minutes, we will strain it taken in a colander.



Cristine had minced the garlic & ginger, cut all the vegetables in required shape and washed that helps me immensely. I have used very few seasonings I store at home.






We will heat 2tbsp oil in a wok and add the minced garlic & ginger to it.



We will stir fry it for half a minute and add the chopped green chillies. 



We will add the cooked noodles to it, add the sesame oil & vinegar to it. I used two ladles to fold in every thing well at medium heat. You must remember that we soaked the noodles in salt in the beginning. Use it accordingly.



We will arrange the seasoned noodles in a bowl.



We will pour 2tbsp oil in the same wok and stir cook for a minute until they turn translucent.



We will add the cauliflower florets and stir for a minute.



We will add 2tbsp of water and cover cook it for 2-3 minutes at minimal heat.



We will open cover, add the carrots & French beans. We will add the soy sauce & little salt now, stir fry them for 2-3 minutes.



We have prepared a liquid adding 2tsp cornflour to a small tea cup of water. We will add it to the vegetable mixture and let cook for 2 minutes. We will add some crushed black pepper now.



We will pour it over the cooked & seasoned noodles and try to serve it as hot & fresh as possible.



No comments :

Post a Comment