Friday 6 March 2020

KOMOLAR ROSH GUR DIYE MULTIGRAIN ATTAR MISHTI



This sweet or you may call it halua was made in a jiffy. You remember or not, some 15-20 days back I  shared it's picture. I had an invitation, I forgot to buy some raw produce midweek to prepare little something and take to that home. I do it religiously; if I visit any home, I carry some home cooked food with me. This habit I have inherited from my mother, I did not see this ritual in the in-law's side. My mother-in-law hardly wanted to cook for her own family. How years after years they eat burnt, undercooked or overcooked food made by helps. I do not wish to repeat how difficult it was to adjust in a home where people slept until 12pm, ate lunch at 3pm; some even without taking shower. They followed no decent routine in life. Thoughts that cause me irritation should be kept aside. I wish to revive the sweetness back in me. "Mad woman, by eating more of sweets?" "Yes people! Whats your problem if I slow poison myself?" So, here is today's breakfast of a diabetic with hypothyroidism, high amount of bad cholesterol.


I had "muri, half each of an adhirasam and jilipi". My drink this morning is a hot cup of Bournvita without milk and sugar. I was fond of Bournvita Quiz Contest then streaming in All India Radio. Its just for a change, I never do like these milk & malt based drinks, chilled is still okay. They come for the son and given alternating between smoothie and these varieties. Smoothie is better because you are doing it with fresh fruits and nuts. Thereafter, I free-zed the time I started to write, I am not good with language, it takes me anywhere between 21/2-31/2-4 hours to finish a blog post.


Why to blame that woman in the interiors of the suburb who does my nails at least at 40% lesser rate than the parlours of the malls do. The toe nails are intact whilst that of the hands are gone. Its OPI brand. The problem is with my right palm. Its always experimenting in the kitchen. I do not regret however. That day, I could prepare some decent food and take for that family.


Of them, I wish to share with you the recipe of the sweet / halua kind of dessert topped with grapes KOMOLAR ROSH GUR DIYE MULTIGRAIN ATTAR MISHTI.

Today too, I have an invitation to a tea party in the neighbourhood post 6pm. I have some plans in mind which I do out of my own pleasure, people do not starve in their own home. I have planned such a way that my family too can enjoy today's dinner. So you know I have to finish off with my blog post early, go for a swim downstairs. Once back, I wish to cook a complete 3-course meal and reach that home around 7pm and sit for an hour. This would be an younger gathering I know. The problem is I cannot go on and on talking, I cannot take part in any discussion for long. You ask me to wander alone, sit at an eatery for hours with a big platter of food, I am happy. Back in Kolkata, I am not comfortable sitting alone in an eatery, here no-one bothers you, no one gives weird looks and I am getting so used to this kind of environment. Then, we have to leave when time comes. 

The concern is I am having sweets his week and stupid Cristine tells me now that next week is my blood sugar check. I hardly keep track of my medicine box. She should have told me yesterday when I had sent her for "thakurer phool", requested to get adhirasam, jilipi and some motichur laddu. I cannot have one full at a time if store bought. Yet, I am at a better position than that obese girl. She is not a born obese, later became and made her family obese. Everyone loves good food, tasty food but we have to control a bit for our own good. I do not find any concern for health in that family, I see a similar kind in the extended family from the in-law's side. Child obesity is dangerous, one need not do the same wrong my parents did allowing me to gorge on food for 16 hours a day. I do a bit of swimming and walking; a good amount of yoga practice and gym-ing would have helped. I totally dislike both the laters and herbal food supplements. People are wise if they can leave their traditional nihari and bread breakfast and switch to greens and fruits. I cannot make such sacrifices, my lunch today is one "porota o fulkopir dalna" and salad. So, I am standing in between two extremes. However, my homemade sweets are always an endeavour to make them healthier, I stopped getting refined sugar home, white sugar crystals come for the 'thakurer poribar." I have to think of an alternative to it. Our blog share today is such a vegetarian sweet using multigrain atta meal, fresh orange juice, jaggery mainly. I named it KOMOLAR ROSH GUR DIYE MULTIGRAIN ATTAR MISHTI which has a loving fragrance from green cardamom, bay leaf and ghee.


INGREDIENTS :

MULTIGRAIN ATTA FLOUR : 11/2COFFEE MUG
FRESH ORANGE JUICE : OF ONE STANDARD SIZED
JAGGERY : 11/2SMALL TEA CUP [I USE LESS AMOUNT]
BROWN SUGAR : 11/2TBSP [I DO NOT GET HOME WHITE SUGAR]
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 5TBSP + 2TBSP 
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 1TSP
BAY LEAF : 2
YELLOW FOOD COLOUR : 1 - 2 DROP
I USED FRESH ORANGE  SEGMENTS & CASHEW NUTS TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE :

Here is the orange juice prepared and stored in a bowl.


I have added water to the jaggery, put it for rest and melted it.


I have heated 5tbsp ghee in a wok and added bay leaves to it.



I added the multigrain flour then and roasted well for 8-10 minutes at minimal heat. 



Then, I added the orange juice and the jaggery water.



I folded in very well and continuously stirred to avoid the formation of lump.

I was finding this stage difficult. One thing was that I selected a wrong wok, better you do it in a wide, non stick wok.

Secondly, this is a Bengali soul who never can use half and half measure of "ghee and atta", impossible to think.

Anyway, the flour would tend to soak the watery liquid quickly because less amount of ghee is used. Never mind, add water little by little but as less as possible.

When the mixture comes out of the sides, I added the green cardamom powder and 2tbsp ghee. I stir cooked for a minute or two folding in well.


I  garnished it with orange segments & cashew nuts. You can use dry fruits of your choice.

I strongly recommend to have it fresh and hot. It did not taste the same when reheated & served later.






No comments :

Post a Comment