Monday 19 October 2020

LEFTOVER JILIPI CHALER GURO DIYE PUDDING

 


It is a beautiful "shorot er akash" today. Autumnal sky in Kolkata used to be brighter than usual, with a bit of cold feel. My lack of proficiency in English is not allowing me to explain the term "shirshirey thanda amez". In the later years, there was lack of that cold feel, may be because of global warming? Who knows! Yet, a morning in Autumn is always special for a Hindu Bengali; it ushered in Durga Puja which is a festival, not purely religious you know. I call it a fair, mela; Ananda Mela. 


From our tiny corner, I could not stop freezing the moment and whisper, "esho maa". If I cannot be a part of the celebration, I will create an ambiance at home. Cristine has been asked to clean my God Family's Abode and change their clothes whilst I write this easy & yum lightly sweet, vegetarian dessert recipe with left over jalebi / jilipi, rice flour, corn flour, milk, LEFTOVER JILIPI CHALER GURO DIYE PUDDING. Oh my God! I am so happy to discover there is still a set of new clothes left for my Gods. 


Each year, on my Kolkata visit; I buy two sets of new clothings for my God Family. They wear new clothings every Poila Baishakh[Bengali New Year Day] & Durga Puja. I do not know what will happen next April! Here I do not get the right size and they are too expensive. Do they even have a variety & stock like our Shyambazaar-Hathibagan Market?

Now, the thing is again I had cooked an unsatisfied batch of jilipi / jalebi / spiral shaped fried sweet in syrup; you know I do not serve awkward looking stuffs to my family. They tasted very well; like a jilipi when fresh, later like a thin malpoa, like a jibey goja too; but they fell flat refusing to be called jilipi. I tried them using Housebrand's Readymix Idli powder. They tasted so well that I had to do something with them; you know how I hate wastage. It is then the idea of this easy sweet popped. I prepared a thickened, lightly sweet dessert using milk, rice & corn flour, vanilla essence; added broken pieces of the jalebis with the sugar syrup and got this LEFTOVER JILIPI CHALER GURO DIYE PUDDING.


You can see, it is a yellow bowl of beautifully tasted sweet in sugar syrup but we cannot call it jilipi; they fell flat while frying and got soggy after dunking in the sugar syrup. I had to do something with them, before that I ate quarter portion of the bowl but I do not serve my family poor looking stuffs. 

You will not go for such time consuming mistakes and then use them in a milk pudding or have with ice-cream. I know when Indian Families buy jilipi / jalebi, they buy a bit of excess, there are some leftovers the next morning. Indians love their jilipis warm & crisp; only diabetics like me would buy only 2-3 at a time. What to do with the stale jalebis? Try such easy pudding with them. If you have the dessert warm, you can feel there is jalebis in it; if eaten chilled, the jilipis feel like rabri or extra dose of cream or "dudh er shor" in a pudding. 

Our father so liked having "dudh er shor". After a double boil the next day, the mother would transfer the thickened milk to a clean bowl. Then, the father would sit with the "korai layered with dudher shor" and scratch, have until it looked clean & barren, that too after having a snack of "dudh-muri" . The mother who wanted to move ahead in life was like "shei Bangladesh er gramer motoi roye gyalo, egobar kono icchey nei eder family ter." Thereafter, she sat to prepare "chirey-muri-khoi er moya, naru, nimki" for the three of us. So, we did not bother much about their couple fight.

I wish to finish off quickly; I will go for a walk, then book a pedicure-manicure session for tomorrow; have to do this much for the festive season. Now, I must make the maximum out of the sunny day.




INGREDIENTS :

LEFTOVER JILIPI / JALEBI : 5-6 [WITH THE SYRUP]
MILK : 400ML
RICE FLOUR : 11/2TBSP
CORN FLOUR : 1TBSP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1/2TSP
SUGAR / HONEY : 1TBSP [OPTIONAL]
CHOPPED DRY FRUITS TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE : 

Break the jalebis roughly into medium sized pieces. 

Take the milk in a bowl.


Take 4-5 tbsp from it and store in a glass. Add the rice flour & corn flour. Mix very well.


Put the milk bowl for boil, bring it to boil and boil further for 7-8 minutes at minimal heat. I did not use sugar, jaggery, honey or any sweetener, you can. For us, the syrup of the jalebi was enough.

Add the rice flour + corn flour + milk paste to the boiling milk and start stirring immediately.


Boil it for another 4-5 minutes, while you stir continuously. Take down the bowl and let cool.

Add the vanilla essence and give a stir.


Add the jilipi / jalebi pieces and the sweet syrup that comes along; half of the chopped dry fruits too. I used toasted & chopped almonds, walnuts, raisins.


Pour onto a clean bowl and garnish with the rest of the toasted & chopped dry fruits.


Let it set for half an hour before having or refrigerate to chill.






No comments :

Post a Comment