Thursday 29 April 2021

DIM FULKOPI CURRY


 
EGG IS DEARLY ACCEPTABLE THESE DAYS!

It is not so because I am living with an ardent egg lover under one roof for over twenty three years; I have found some rescue in EGGS in a foreign land, where to get your choice of fish & meat, you need to travel. That extra work does not guarantee you quality raw materials. There are smaller Parshe Maach available in one store but they lack freshness; in the Bangladeshi stores, they are frozen. We get a couple of our kind of fish but they either are not so fresh or are totally frozen. Shipments do not come in a day; so I buy them at good intervals and not frequently. It is better if we can adapt to the food habits of the resident country but I just cannot get along with the sea-fish varieties. Moreover, not sticking to Bengali Food & Culture is impossible for me; it calls for an identity crisis. Today, I had some spare time and one good quality raw mango. I prepared an "aam shorshe batar achar" with it. I so enjoy working with whatever is available at home. My upbringing will never let me go overboard!



The mango was bought to prepare a sweet chutney and offer to our father on his death anniversary. I totally forgot about it; perhaps on that day, he did not wish to have something his son, son-in-law, grandson do not eat.

MY TRYST WITH COVID-19 VACCINATION!

It is 24 hours since I have got my first dosage. I did not get any major side effect until now. There is a kind of fatigue working, any way this mind and body lacks energy since childhood. I have seen very active obese selves! Its my nature since childhood to dilli-dally, its a lazy self always. I have always loved half lying and reading books and snacking. Who on this earth does snacking after lunch? I had my lunch with a store bought paratha, grilled eggplants using spice powders, few drops of oil and fruits. These Malaysian Paratha dough is oil laden, I cannot have more than one. A packet of 25 or 30 or 32 is kept in the freezer as a stand by that goes for three months at this home.




It is not good to have these parathas regular but they are good for egg rolls. Today Cristine made pasta for herself and her Sir's lunch box, I will not eat pasta with cheese; so did not go for only two handmade roti! All's well but this fatigue? What is our child going through? He is alone; since last August, his roommate was a local boy; they had spent good time together if our baby did not lie to us. They all went home for the summer vacation ; our boy has taken full summer classes and has to shift to a new dormitory in a week. We guess he does feel awkward with an emptier surrounding but this year there may be many international students not going home for holidays! We wanted him home because we do not stay in India, it is safer to come here. He did not agree and we did not say no to his plans. Just that, I wished to stay with him these few months, cook for him, see him off to his classes; then take a troller and hunt the local market & eateries! Thats my way of exploring a new place. Baby must be needing so many things, its about to be a year, I could not be with him; so far is the place! If his father frequents him, who will earn for the family? Cooking helps me hide my worries and stress. Why not share an easy EGG RECIPE, I have learnt from the social media?

WHAT IS DIM FULKOPI CURRY?

This BENGALI STYLE CURRY with EGG & CAULIFLOWER is something very similar to our dimer dalna. DIM FULKOPI CURRY is definitely not a family recipe, it might be an improvised Bengali recipe; brought into being may be by the Youtube video makers, or by a blogger. I actually saw it in a fellow blogger's space; at Rini's DELICIOUS ADDICTION for the first time, last year may be! Today, I roughly went through few recipes on it at GASTRONOMIC BONG'S; SWARNAB DUTTA'S, AMITABHA'S HOBBY! I did not watch the youtube videos on it and really do not know where from this NON-VEGETARIAN BENGALI RECIPE originated! Because, I have worked with Rini, she supported my posts on many a occasion; I mentioned her blog link. The rest I do not know; but Gastronomic Bong clicks amazing, Swarnab is a young engineering graduate who makes brownies like a pro and Amitabh is a real cooking enthusiast! I like visiting spaces like this, silently! While exploring, I see Khadija's kitchen has a recipe on Phulkopi Dim er Rezala, I have to try it. Actually, people in my family are typical Bengali homely cooks, they cooked, cook whatever is Bengali; fusion food is not their area. I cooked this dish similar to any BENGALI HOME'S REGULAR EGG CURRY and I think all of the previously mentioned bloggers' recipes are no different or slightly may be!



INGREDIENTS :

EGG : 6-7
POTATO : 1 BIG
CAULIFLOWER FLORET : 7-8
TOMATO PASTE : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
ONION PASTE : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
GINGER PASTE : 2 TSP
GARLIC PASTE : 1TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 11/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
BAYLEAF : 1
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 TWO INCH SIZED
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
CLOVE : 3-4
CINNAMON POWDER : 1/4 TSP
GREEN CARDAMOM POWDER : 2 PINCH
CLOVE POWDER : A PINCH
SALT : AS REQUIRED
SUGAR : 1 TSP
OIL : 4-5 TBSP
GHEE / CLARIFIED BUTTER : 1 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Wash & blanch the cauliflower florets for 5-6 minutes; keep aside draining the water, some salt added. Peel the potato, get about 8 pieces, wash and marinate with little of salt & turmeric. Boil the eggs in enough water, cool, de-shell and wash. Marinate with a little of salt & turmeric. We have all the whole & powdered spices, pastes ready on the kitchen counter.

We will heat the oil in a wok and light fry the eggs, take out. We will fry the potatoes and cauliflower separately and take out. We will temper the oil with a bay leaf, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, green cardamoms, cloves. 

Add the onion, ginger & garlic pastes and stir cook at low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cumin+coriander+red chilli+the remaining turmeric powders+salt. Stir cook at low heat for 2 minutes. We will add the fried potatoes and fold in well.

Thereafter, we will add 2 coffee mugs of water and cover cook at minimal heat for 3-4 minutes. We will uncover and add the fried eggs and the cauliflower florets! We will cover cook for 3-4 minutes. We will remove the cover; adjust the salt if required; add the cinnamon+green cardamom+cloves powder, sugar and ghee! Cook uncovered for a minute or two. We should be done; enjoy ruti / porota / butter toasts / rice / polao & fried rice varieties!





1 comment :

  1. Very great recipe! Bengali cuisine is amazing and very rich. Pictures are great! Presentation is great. Bye the way glad to hear that you got vaccine dear friend. We are still waiting to our turns. Have a great and healthy days. Happy May

    ReplyDelete