Monday 5 April 2021

LAU CHINGRI JHOL


 

PRAWNS & BENGALIS WALK TOGETHER!

Whatever little I know about Bengali Cuisine, our community is used to adding prawns of different sizes in varied dishes. In a couple of homes, of the different branches within the family; I have seen, even the smallest prawns are been added to this vegetable and that. Being a foodie, I would take the liberty to say adding a few prawns to the dishes does make a difference. Many a BENGALI RECIPE calls for adding prawns to enhance the taste of the dish; not really for the sake of the prawn itself as such! I remember a couple of such dishes with a number of vegetables, in which the family added very small sized prawns; so small that could not be de-shelled properly. I can guarantee you the taste. I have grown up knowing each size of prawns are meant for a particular kind of dish and we cannot mess with the "rule"! However, I do not follow ditto these rules. I have seen in the family, some are hell bound on doing a Hilsa curry with freshly bought green chillies; even if there had been a good stock of green chillies at home, just that they may be two-three days old. I will never take such pressures on me, not be this particular and stock piles of stuffs at home. Neither, I would want to waste a single green chilli or any vegetable; an important lesson learnt from the mother. Even, she did not mind using a day or two old green chilli in hilsa; trying to get along with the city life! But again; she could not come totally out of the spell of her family traits!

HOW AUTHENTIC BENGALI IS MY KITCHEN?

I am a bit away from the rigidity my family veterans still practice in the kitchen and household. I cook with what I have, but try to safeguard the essence of a recipe. Especially, if I am cooking BENGALI PANCHMESHALI / MIXED VEGETABLE; I will definitely not add zucchini or broccoli to it! This is how my BENGALI KITCHEN runs; based on simple rules and principals. I confidently claim that we need not run to the market for fresh green chillies if one has forgotten to get it along with the hilsa! I also have grown up watching how the family had been / still is particular about what to buy where from. Not others, but I can scold our mother why she had to get her cutter from Assam or the indigenous rice variety. Why could not she source stuffs locally! I think I am just right not been so rigid with my household, an influence of the home I got married to also works. The same rigidity causes irritation within too; when girls from other homes were taught to make a career, my family was busy perfecting a "pithe" or arguing with others how a dish be made or finding the fault in one's way of home making; accusing them of not been tidy or hygiene conscious! I am happy that I am not an extreme, neither my men will want me to be that way!

WHAT IS THIS LAU CHINGRI JHOL?

If not this one, a medley with shredded bottle gourd and smaller prawns is one of the major identification mark of "Bengali Cuisine"! "LAU CHINGRI" was too regular in our home, also throwing in a bit of prawns in this and that dish is common in our family. Even though my brother got allergic to seafood later in life, prawns kept coming. He never was bothered about the food scenario at home, so long his little demands were fulfilled; that are potato fries on Thursdays; Puffed and Flatbreads almost every day and meat thrice a week. Our parents never were keen getting home meat often. I allow freedom when it comes to personal choice of food; neither of my man or the son would even care if they are asked to follow prescribed rules. My brother too eats what he wants when. The mother does not like it but she has to understand there is no other way for them to enjoy in that place so far from the city. They both earn enough but where to spend; outside our Barrackpore home is either "Jhumri Mashir Khatal" or "Mamur Mishtir Dokan" or "Tel Kol"! Anyway, about this NON-VEGETARIAN SEAFOOD DISH; LAU CHINGRI JHOL / a light CURRY with BOTTLE GOURD & PRAWN, is not a family thing! I might have taken the idea from somewhere and it clicked. We so loved it! It was done last year, in February when the circuit breaker / lockdown started. I was shopping locally and cooked whatever was possible! My family totally cooperated and we had spend together some good time. We are so missing our child, we have taken subscription of this and that to cover up  the void, not really party goers we are!




INGREDIENTS :

PRAWN : 500GM [MEDIUM TO SMALL SIZED]
BOTTLE GOURD : 1 SMALL SIZED OR 1/2 OF A MEDIUM SIZED
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 2-3
CHOPPED FRESH CORIANDER : 2 TBSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1/2 TSP
FENNEL POWDER : 1/2 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 TSP
CUMIN SEED : 1/4 TSP
DRY RED CHILLI : 2 HALVED
BAY LEAF : 1
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 2 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

De-shell, clean, wash the prawns thoroughly, marinate with little salt & turmeric. Peel off the bottle gourd; cut half and then into smaller cubes. Wash and marinate with little salt & turmeric! Do not throw away the skin of the bottle gourd; cook this LAU ER CHOKLA BOTI; its yum.

Heat the oil in the wok and temper it with the bay leaf, dry red chillies and cumin seeds! Give a stir and add the marinated bottle gourd cubes along with the marinade. Give a stir and cook covered at minimal heat for 10-12 minutes. 

Uncover and add the prawns, discard the marinade[they say the prawn marinade is not good]. Stir cook at low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the cumin+coriander+red chilli+fennel+the rest of the turmeric powders and stir cook for a minute.

Add the slitted green chillies and cover cook at minimal heat for 5 minutes. Uncover, add 11/2 coffee mugs of water. Cover cook at low heat for 7-8 minutes. Uncover, add the washed, fresh coriander, stir, cook for a minute and we are done! You can add salt to adjust, if only required!

Have it with steamed rice, you may try with chapati too! 








2 comments :

  1. We, as Turkish people, consume seafoods only winter times. I really dont know why? In my childhood we didnt eat seafoods alot because of my mother didnt like them. She still doesnt like them. But your recipe looks different. I am sure prawns and spices combination dish must be delicious. Have a wonderful April month and happy spring.

    ReplyDelete