Wednesday 14 April 2021

TOK MISHTI RUI MAACH



 

I LOVE NOODLES FROM THE "CHOW CHOW" DAYS!

In all probability, it was one day in 1982 or 83; the school was giving over; we were in a queue waiting to be dispersed. You know students can talk endless. There, I heard about one "class chow chow" named Maggi. Back home, I discuss about it with the brother who was then in nursery class, I think. Of the two, I was the foodie; I had to place the wish in front of the mother. In those days, we did not know the word "demand", we were too obedient to demand anything, but we had the liberty to express our wish! By the courtesy of neighbourhood homes, who had television sets; we got to know Maggi is the king or queen and "chow chow" is not even the "mantri moshai" but the poor subjects! If a "chow chow er packet" costed 50 paisa, Maggi was Rs.2, I think! Our mother was a strict and able homemaker, she would buy a bundle of "chow chow" having twelve packets; Maggi was a rare visitor. The day it came; one packet would be cooked and shared between me and the brother; the father would not touch; even if the mother wanted, she would not tear the second packet and cook for herself. Later in life, both bhai and me got home all we wanted and also fed / feed the parents. Neither me, nor bhai did any misery about the amount of food; the mother still could not do away with the habit of misery!How much we say she does not need to, she would not listen. Anyway, after a year or two of Maggi taking over the Indian Market; we got our own television set; back from school, both of us siblings would enjoy a bowlful of "chowchow" watching "Jonny Soko and His Flying Robot". We eagerly waited for the next "Maggi Day" but never thought of being rebellious, we did not have the guts to! Our son's generation would not even understand all this. But yes; I feel very proud to see my son valuing money. So good to see him devoid of snobbery! 

NOODLES WAS THE ONLY ORIENTAL FOOD EATEN IN OUR FAMILY!

No way CHILLI FISH OR CHILLI CHICKEN kind of stuffs ever is made in my side of the family! My family's kitchen is very traditional Bengali. The rest what are permissible are what the mother learnt from different places and people. Till date she watches cookery shows, she has few cookery books too; of which Bela De's I remember! She has taken the "Thakur Barir Ranna" book from me mid 2019 and always says, Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor she finds best because he never asks to buy twenty ingredients to cook a dish. I have taken her path, I do not like buying various ingredients separately to cook a dish. I like visiting "boutique blogs" but shall never try mine to be one. I want to keep adding what I cook and eat so long I do not get bored of the exercise! I do not know why the mother never tried ORIENTAL COOKING STYLE at home; may be because the father was not a big fan of it! He would rather eat a simply fried fish instead of a chilly fish. He always had a firm no, even if offered a "Bengali Chowmein" which his son too likes! I started having Oriental food when in the final year of college I think; when me and T started dating! Oh No! I started having Indo-Oriental Meals, when the restaurant Capri opened beside our college, I used to go there with friends!

WHAT IS THIS TOK MISHTI RUI MAACH?

ROHU / RUI is BENGAL CARP. It was after marriage that I saw a similar recipe made with the bony pieces of rui or katla. Whilst I am fond of fish bones who does not like the coveted stomach pieces of bigger fish, they are not. Moreover, T's sister was very fussy about food, fish in fact! During scorching summers, when fish curries too did not go down well; the mother in law would cut the carp pieces further small, prepare a mixture of soy sauce & tomato sauce and proceed to get this TOK MISHTI RUI MAACH! Then only T's sister would eat it! I prefer a CHILLI FISH made of boneless fish meat; no matter what to eat it with; rice or noodles works well. At this stage in life, I do not like Maggi anymore, I like more a frill free noodles devoid of too many sauces. I would prefer a very Bengali "RUI MAACH ER JHOL" any day than this tweaked FISH DISH but once in a while, we enjoy it. We have to think about a Cristine too who prefers this kinds. If you can remember; I did this platter last Durga Puja; on the nabami night; I was cooking with whatever available in my kitchen! CURRY AND SPICE is all about cooking with kitchen staples! Below was my lunch today; millet and red lentil hotchpotch with potatoes, carrots and a boiled egg. I liked it after all sweet stuffs as part of yesterday's fasting rules!






INGREDIENTS :

RUI / KATLA / BENGAL CARP : 300-400 GM [CUBED]
CHOPPED GARLIC : 2 TSP
CHOPPED GINGER : 1 TSP
CUBED ONION : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
SLITTED GREEN CHILLI : 3-4
CHOPPED SPRING ONION : 1 SMALL TEA CUP [OPTIONAL]
LIGHT SOY SAUCE : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP 
TOMATO KETCHUP : 2-3 TBSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 TSP
VINEGAR : 2 TBSP
CORN FLOUR : 1 TBSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 5-6 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Wash and marinate the fish cubes with vinegar for an hour. Wash it off and marinate again with some salt and the corn flour. Keep aside for 5 minutes.

Take the soy sauce, tomato ketchup & red chilli powder together, mix well.

Heat the oil in a wok and deep fry the fish cubes. Take out. Of the remaining oil, keep about 1 tbsp in the wok and take out the rest, we can use later.

Add the washed and chopped garlic, ginger and stir cook at medium heat until golden brown. Add the cubed onion; lower the heat a bit and stir cook until they turn translucent.

Add the washed and slitted green chilli and give a stir. Add the prepared sauce and fold in well. Take 1/2 medium cup water in the sauce bowl, mix well with the leftover and add to the wok. Adjust the salt if required!

Once it comes to boil, reduce the heat to the minimal and add the fried fish cubes. Fold in well and cook for 5 minutes.

Garnish with washed & chopped spring onion if you wish, I love to! Serve immediately with rice or noodles.










1 comment :

  1. Woow! Ingredients are so rich. Fish+spices+herbs+noodles combination. I really would like to try it. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete