Monday 5 July 2021

STOVETOP JOWAR & RICE FLOUR CAKE



TO BAKE OR NOT TO BAKE!

If it is a choice between Bake and Not to Bake; we should choose to bake. Not everyone would cook or stitch or weave or paint good. Similar is about baking; not everyone need be pro bakers! I enjoy watching seasoned bakers, what beauties they create! I know I cannot be one of them; to achieve is way bit of effort! I am not the kind who would spend energy, want to sweat to reach heights! I think after a month of my birth, the world saw the it's fiercest lethargic, dilli-dallied inhibitor. Right at this moment, I feel like jumping onto the bed or lie down right here. Not really I did anything serious since morning. It was a plan since yesterday, I will cook two dishes this morning; and just go for a short swim. The morning happened; the man decided to work from home; I indeed cooked two things; this VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE CAKE & Gulabjamun with GRB's Instant Gulabjamun Mix! 



Well, they are tasting good but not good enough to blog about. My EXPERIMENTAL CAKE is better! Everything was going smooth, all of a sudden the man had to go for his weekly Covid-19 related blood test, they are in the shipping industry! That was at 2 pm when I was to serve him Cristine made potato & egg sandwich! Cristine had to go out for some work. Then who would serve him the food once he is back after an hour or so? I said okay let me throw my legs & hands to Bollywood Remixes instead of going for a swim. I do not compare the man and the son. If he got a full set up on board the ship; our boy has to manage everything on his own; keeping his room to toilet, clean, fetching food also during the snow storm. The father's physical hardship done at the son's age is incomparable! The son only has to pay back with a good result and bagging a decent job! Mumma keeps reminding these things, worries about his safety through a series of messages with no response! Done with everything, I see the clock has struck 5 pm! When to finish my BLOGPOST today?

NOT A PERFECTIONIST; JUST THAT THE LOOK & TASTE OF A FOOD ITEM MUST COORDINATE!

The gulabjamuns are tasting good, they doubled the original size. Only one mistake I did! I had to smoothen the balls way more, some had breakage! I already had two of them and before going out, the Filipino cooked "Nonta Suji" for me! I taught her how to avoid the semolina getting mushy as in upma! In his initial sailing days, the man developed a fondness for upma; I guess its the Indian Cooks on board who cooked it well; else how would Filipino Cooks do a upma; their training centres would not have Cristine's hardcore Indian, Bengali ma'am! Come on, I made my own dinner soup yesterday, I pretty like Western desserts and a couple of dishes; mostly cutlets; breaded snacks!


I had my diabetes medicine post 5pm, I have started intermittent fasting again. That may allow me some snacks with my tea or coffee sometime later and for dinner a carb free platter! As I always say, after all the fights and differences of opinion in almost all matters; it feels good if the man is seen working from home. After the son has left home, an empty feeling cripples me! It feels I have nothing to do next! In this 
scenario; doing this STOVETOP BAKE was a pleasure time kind of!

WHAT IS A STOVETOP JOWAR & RICE FLOUR CAKE?

 WHAT IS JOWAR? JOWAR IS A COMMONLY USED MILLET VARIETY! ITS POWDERED FORM IS CALLED SORGHUM FLOUR, IN ENGLISH! 
WHAT IS RICE FLOUR? RICE FLOUR WE KNOW IS THE POWDERED FORM OF WIDELY EATEN RICE GRAIN! 
WHAT IS A CAKE? IT CAN BE A DESSERT OR SWEET MEAT! WE CAN COOK THE CAKE BATTER EITHER IN THE OVEN OR ON STOVE TOP!

The lady at CURRY AND SPICE is not a pro in baking, in nothing actually! She loves baking but is unwilling to learn the do's & dont's of it! I enjoy doing what does not create pressure on my system. I do not like spending on ingredients separately. I should be able to cook with what is already there with me! This STOVETOP JOWAR & RICE FLOUR CAKE is on the HEALTHIER side; it is VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE that uses BROWN SUGAR! When it comes to BAKING CAKES & preparing SWEETS; I prefer to be unconventional! They should be easy to do, because I did not grow up going through hardships; the first 25 years were spent under the parent's umbrella; the next 25 years had been spent under a banyan tree, now what next? I want the smooth run to continue!



INGREDIENTS :

SORGHUM / JOWAR FLOUR : 1/3 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 3 TBSP
BAKING POWDER : 1 TSP
BAKING SODA : 1/2 TSP
SUGAR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
BANANA : 4-5 SMALL SIZED OR 2 BIG
COCONUT MILK : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
OIL : 3 TBSP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1 TSP
A FEW WALNUTS & PISTACHIOS TO GARNISH!

PROCEDURE :


We are using the following ingredients for the stovetop cake!



We will take 1/3 rd coffee mug of sorghum flour and 3 tbsp of rice flour in a bowl and mix well!



To it, we will add the baking powder & soda! We will mix well everything!


I had coconut powder with me. So I warmed 1/2 a cup of water and added 25 ml of coconut powder to it! I mixed it well to get coconut milk!



We will mash the peeled bananas, add the sugar and oil to it! 


We will incorporate everything well and add the coconut milk to the mixture!



We will mix everything very well!



We will grease a cake tin with oil and dust with some rice flour. We will top it with the nuts!


We will place a wok on the gas top and on it a wired stand!


We will heat it for 5 minutes and then place the cake tin on it!


We will cover it with a lid and cook at low to medium heat for 55 minutes or so!




Once done, we will take it down and keep it open for two hours, at least! We can easily turn it over now!


There were some extra batter! I filled half each of the oil greased bowls; microwaved at 900 power for 21/2 minutes! I am not fond of microwave made cakes, they feel dry!



The cake is to be eaten fresh & warm for the best taste!






 

1 comment :

  1. I agree with you dear friend! Bake is always better. Cake recipe looks delicious. I am sure walnuts makes it taste amazing. I always use walnuts and it really makes cakes or cookies taste beautiful.

    ReplyDelete