Thursday 28 October 2021

APPLE BANANA STOVETOP CAKE




 
I ADMIT OATS & FRUITS ARE A GOOD COMBINATION!

I mean when the cake batter was ready, it felt why cannot I have it as a 'pholar' now? Did not we grow up having a mix of fruits like banana, mango, jackfruit, milk or yogurt & grains as part of breakfast meals; specially during summers? Okay, we did not know much about the grain oats until recently. Families like mine are still very happy with "chirey-muri-khoi"and can go without oats for the rest of their lives! Then, I keep in stock oats believing those who say oats has lowers calories than beaten rice!I do not eat oats religiously to shed off the extra kilos! Life is short and I have so much to eat, explore in the food world!I cannot think of living on oats day & night!I use it wisely but, in this way like in a cake or in a cookie!

FRUITS ARE EXCESS AFTER A SPECIAL PRAYER!

This happens each time there is a special prayer at home.Specially, the bananas are required to be put into good use. It is a fruit I never had packed in their lunch boxes, they would not eat! They however would eat a cake, bread, fry or a pie made of banana; with love!Our father used to eat 3-4 bananas a day does not mean it can get to be a regular habit with others!I remember a clip from the childhood; the maternal grandfather used to take us for Durga Pooja shopping; a big chunk of the family and buy us sweets, ice-cream and banana whenever hungry! With him, shopping was from Sealdah Chaya Stores & Priyo Goyal Bishoyi of Burrabazaar! The father too fed us sweets, ice-cream, kulfi but the shopping experience qualified to the Guys N Dolls, Rehmania & others in New Market, Treasure Island & Bidhan Market. I saw the making of Treasure Island and now how our section of the society does not even visit those. Yes, we witnessed globalisation in Kolkata, our way and oh! I have materials to write a big, fat book; if only I knew where to start from, how to end, how to arrange my emotions in order & put them into words! What I can do is cook a good cake with oats, banana, apple, pistachio, dates and add to the madness surrounding the two words; vegan & gluten-free! But yes, the son did have gluten-allergy and I know how difficult it is to handle it, to curate a menu for them. I knew little about it then, now I can feed a good gluten-free platter to anyone; even my meat-o-phobic brother would enjoy! I told him several times he needs to look beyond pizza, biryani, porota-mangsho!

WHAT IS THIS APPLE BANANA STOVETOP CAKE?

These days, I am doing a lot of cakes on the stovetop and got very comfortable & confident with the medium. My bake mode got spoilt is one reason, I am cool about it because we do not need perfecto store kinds to beautify our plate! What we need are freshly made cakes & breads to keep up with our needs. My parents, brother liked me made fresh, basic bakes; the men too like. From me, they expect basic cakes because we all fear I would mess with the creams & fondants. Those pastry stuffs I get for them from the stores!I enjoy experimenting with different fruits, seeds & grains combination for my homemade cakes. This APPLE BANANA STOVETOP CAKE is one such that uses few ingredients; is vegan, gluten-free, diary free!To make it vegan, I skipped using thickened milk or yogurt! I do not use eggs in sweets, desserts or cakes, generally! It was difficult but apples & bananas are great moisteners; the apple cider vinegar+water mixture helped a lot and here you are with a supremely moist, indulgent easy made cake, thats not fluffy! I am having with tea one slice; loved, more may be because I love dates?



Today, while arranging the pictures, I discover I forgot to add oil to the batter! Well, it was not in the plan, but this oil-free version did not affect the taste of the cake at all!




INGREDIENTS :

OATS : 1/3 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 1/4 COFFEE MUG
CORN FLOUR : 2 TBSP
SUGAR : 2 TBSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP
WATER : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
BAKING SODA : 1/2 TSP
BAKING POWDER : 11/4 TSP
CHOPPED APPLE : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
MASHED BANANA : 11/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
CHOPPED DATES : 2 TBSP
CHOPPED PISTACHIO : 1 TSP

PROCEDURE :


These are the few ingredients we are using for this cake! I forgot to take in the sugar pot!


We will take together the oats, rice flour & corn flour and blend together to a powder!



We will mash well the bananas and add the flour mix to it.


We will add the baking soda & powder and mix well the ingredients!


We will take together the vinegar & water, mix and add to the batter; we will further beat softly the batter for 3-4 minutes!



We will add the chopped apples and brown sugar to the batter and fold in well!



Our batter is ready!

We will pour it to a cake tin; I used a foiled tin!I added the chopped dates & pistachios on top and tapped it on the kitchen top!


We will place a wok on the gas top, a wired stand on it. We will allow the stand to get hot for 3-4 minutes and put the heat from low to minimal!


We will place the cake tin in the middle of the heated, wired stand and cover with a lid!


After 1/2 an hour of cooking at the low to minimal heat, the cake would look as below.


After 55minute-1hr of cooking at the low to minimal heat, it would be done, at least in my home it was!


We will switch off the gas stove and take down the cake tin, let it cool!



I believe, we will enjoy it chilled more!



1 comment :

  1. Dear friend! Ingredients are so rich, and healthy and Recipe looks great. Oats and rice flour are very popular to people who dont like to wheat flour here. Some of my friends enjoy this recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete