Thursday 19 May 2022

BEGUN ALOO BORBOTI DIYE SALMON MACH



A CHOICE OF FISH WOULD HAVE MADE THIS PLATTER PERFECT FOR ME! 

When the maximum in the world goes gaga over the beauty & the taste of a salmon, I could not accept it in my life. The above photo feature was done on 12th December, 2020; I tried to give the sea fish a personal, Bengali touch; yet could not enjoy it with a bowl of rice!I remember, on the day I cooked it, I still could have the tail end piece with few morsels of rice; on the next day, the stale curry got unbearable for me, but T & Cristine had no issues with it! By then, the son too was away from home. I do not know what happened, how much of less cooking I do, they do not seem to finish! To that Cristine says, ideas pop up & I keep cooking this & that! But I must say, those food experiments have drastically lessened! It was the son's growing up years & he enjoyed varied food! I do not live with a food lover! The moment I get irritated and wish to exchange, he transports some good news! Today, I was walking after sending Cristine back home with what I shopped for Saturday!There I get the message of the son's semestral grades & mumma jumps with joy; baby this time managed straight A's, okay one A- & one B are there but mumma is happy!Our son is a weird stuff, never says anything, we are to download his grades, I scavenge through the parents's group for informations!I do not even know at what frequency he can have a salmon meal; his favourite!

YOU MEAN PAPAD, GATHIYA & KOCHUBHAJA?

Yes, Watsons is having an exhibition in the open area within the Nex mall! They are sold in Mustafa & the Indian Marts; but Watsons? I started giggling all by myself. It was a relief to see life back to normalcy gradually; these open spaces were not allowed to hold exhibitions for the past two years!




I did buy a packet of papad for 4$; I do not bring them home, who would fry them in lots of oil, T is not in the habit of such elaborate meals with papad, onion, chilli on the side! I do not like microwave roasted papad! Today, I got one big packet, I may try a curry with some that either side of my family never cooked! If the son played Holi with dadu-thamma as a child, he would take his flower laden rath / chariot along with Dimma all of the Ashokgarh! I would never get to see his childhood again, all I want is to see him at intervals.  Another good news has arrived, my DP has been extended for few more years & I can continue to pick Kharkol Patar Chara from here & there! I thought my rustic self may pose a danger & I may be deported to India! Now, if the son's land allows me a travel visa we can spend few weeks with him! I feel happier after buying that oil pot from Japan Home!


Because I already ate a chicken curry puff & Kheer Potol to beat the hunger, I had nothing much to eat for lunch at 3:30 pm! 



It's raining heavily, but my depressive mood is over powered by a sense of joy, the son got good grades!What else mumma can expect from him except for his safety & security? I just wish to wrap up the blogpost sooner, lie down & savour the rain! Tomorrow, I would go to the Indian market & get some smaller fish for me, I cannot eat the pomfret I bought for them. Moreover, this whole week I did not eat out, I should tomorrow!

WHAT IS THIS BEGUN ALOO BORBOTI DIYE SALMON?

I wished for an easy share today, did not have time to arrange the pictures that most of my posts carry! Also, I had to gift something to this island and align it to the son's land. If it's coming from me, it has to have a Bengali touch! The other day, my client told they loved the chana curry I sent, but why I could not enjoy? I give authenticity an important place while cooking, I feared if at all it became a Punjabi Chana! I prefer Rajma Curry & Ghughni at any time. The son is not really fond of chana, rajma & ghugni; all he wants are fleshy fish, chicken, also mutton!Salmon is too favourite with the son, man & Cristine; I cooked this salmon & vegetables curry; BEGUN ALOO BORBOTI DIYE SALMON MACH, the Bengali style with the regular spices we use, long beans, potato, eggplants! That makes this gluten-free, non-vegetarian seafood / fish curry!



INGREDIENTS :

SALMON STEAK : 6-7
CUBED EGGPLANT : 8-10 PIECES
CUBED POTATO : 8-10 PIECES
LENGTHWISE CUT LONG BEAN PIECES : A HANDFUL
GINGER PASTE : 1 TBSP
CUMIN POWDER : 1 TSP
CORIANDER POWDER : 1 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER : 1 1/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 2 TSP
FENUGREEK SEED : 2-3 PINCHES
BAY LEAF : 1 OR 2
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 5-6 TBSP

PROCEDURE :

Wash the fish steaks well, rub with some salt & turmeric powder! Wash the vegetable pieces & rub with salt & turmeric!

In a bowl, mix together the ginger paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, some turmeric & salt. Add 2 tbsp of water to prepare a paste.

Heat the oil in a wok & separately fry each of the vegetables; take them out! Fry the fish pieces well, not to deep fry! Do that in batches, take out!

Temper the remaining oil with the fenugreek seeds & the bay leaves! Add the spice mix and stir cook at low heat for 2-3 minutes. 

As the oil separates from the spice mix, add 2 coffee mugs of water, stir and let boil, covered!

Once the curry comes to boil, add the fried fish pieces & the fried potato & long beans. Cook for 6-7 minutes at low heat, covered!

Add the fried eggplant pieces; stir & switch off the gas burner! If you are not a typical Bengali of Bengal, you would definitely enjoy the curry! I also cooked red lentil curry & spring onion-potato fry on the day!


 



 

1 comment :

  1. Looks yummy! Maybe i can try it with trout fish instead of the Salmon. Nowadays, we can find very fresh trout-fish alot here.

    ReplyDelete