Monday 16 May 2022

MY STYLE MUJADDARA



RICE & LENTILS OR CHAPATI & LENTILS; ARE TRULY THE ULTIMATE COMFORT FOOD!

I do not know if age is making me feel or say so! These days a dal & "mumlet", aloo sheddo compose a happy meal for me! T would make a hue & cry about why I am always seen in the kitchen, then asks if he has to eat vegetarian food! I do not know why my boy, brother & T are so scared of vegetarian food! As I say, if I do not get my choice of fish, I would prefer a vegetarian meal! Thats what I did yesterday! Cristine was out as part of her Sunday ritual; I cooked bhature / enlivened fried bread to go with the chickpea curry! My people would not mind having vegetarian food in this case! However, my brother cannot think of such a simple lunch platter on a Sunday, that can be his breakfast or be in the office lunch box! For a week, our mother is stationed in her youngest brother's home; the duo went to spend time with their son in Pune! I liked it, I believe if she is active enough she cannot stay jailed at one place. But it feels good enough that the brother is missing her, although his spouse is taking good care of him & the home. It is a feel good that my mother is required at her home; both herself & the daughter-in-law cook good chickpea curry! Its a regular in their lunch box I know!


 For our dinner, I wished to go out! As usual, T forgot perhaps what he was; how frequently we freaked out once upon a time! I had the plan to go out & get our dinner. Then I was too unwilling, I served him his favourite, dim-aloo-sheddo bhaat & I had some rice with nigella seed powder & butter, dhokar dalna! My food habit got to be like my rustic, extended family members, I do not mind it or want to hide it!




THE HEAVY RAIN NOW & THEN DOES NOT LEAVE ME IN COMFORT!

It gets me discomfort! Just two hours back, I went for a swim & it was all sunny! It is a Vesak Day Holiday here and I perhaps wished for an outing late evening; not to Lumbini, may be to the East Coast Park. Ever since the son left home; I have been pestering the man to freak out often; he hardly wants to step out on a holiday unless it's a friend's home! My mad self also knows no bound, because it is Buddha Purnima, I see myself in Lumbini; taking too much of interest in mythical tales is a reason! A noodle bowl or a sweet could have been a good share but I planned for what you see! I cooked happily, got disappointed as I craved for sweets post lunch, could not have one. I dived into a mouth freshener, equally destructive I believe! I am unstoppable when cravings set in! I ask Cristine to get a Sunday & Apple Pie from Mac, she over powers me & went to get no sugar plain croissant, a better deal. 


At this age & the ailments I have, with a history of obesity and love for food; it is difficult to lose weight! Intermittent Fasting does not work if the diet pattern is wrong; I am stuck at 59kg wanting to eat mango, litchi & jackfruit at meals; if rice & chapati are to be sacrificed! I cook also to keep unmindful of my needs!

WHAT IS THIS MY STYLE MUJADDARA?

It was in October, 2021 I came across this dish from the Levant! I immediately felt it would go with our taste buds. I think I cooked it for the first time on 26th October, 2021. It says, Mujaddara is the food for the poor, I do not get what is the price of onions in the Levant countries, this dish demands the use of a lot of onions! I used four big onions, yet it felt perhaps my dish required more! What I meant by MY STYLE MUJADDARA is that; to the rice, lentils & onions that are mainly required in this vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian dish, I added potatoes, carrots & green peas too! I did not even have on mind making omelet on the side, given I cooked mushroom fritters. Then, T told he wasn't expecting vegetarian food for lunch! After cooking & serving, I went for a swim! Imagine, after that heavy lunch & a yogurt-apple bowl, I am just craving for something sweet; say a jilipi, or a gulabjamun. That came down to an apple pie & Sunday! Now, finally Cristine is getting some nuts & seeds  topped lightly sweet buns, I would have with my tea. I would not care about my dinner! Tomorrow, I must have a mango, coconut with muri, chirey or oats, else my irritation would not go!



I sourced the recipe idea from a couple of existing in the internet, not any particular! 



INGREDIENTS :

COOKED RICE : 3-4 COFFEE MUG [I USED BASMATI RICE]
LENTIL : 1/2 COFFEE MUG [I USED SKIN ON RED LENTIL / MALKA MASOOR]
ONION : 4-5 BIG SIZED
POTATO : 1
CARROT : I
GREEN PEA : A HANDFUL
CUMIN POWDER : 1 1/2 TSP
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER : 1/4 TSP
SALT : AS REQUIRED
OIL : 3-4 TBSP

PROCEDURE : 


I used the skin on red lentils / malka masur dal in this recipe. I washed and soaked it in hot water for 2-3 hours! 

I drained the water, filled it with fresh water, added a bit of salt & turmeric & put it for boil!

Within 12-13 minutes, it would boil to the required consistency! 




We can use cooked rice or freshly cook some rice adding a little of salt to the boiling water! Once the rice is done 80%-85%, we would drain the water through a strainer!


Earlier, I did cut & soak the potato & carrot lengthwise, washed & soaked. We need to drain the water, marinate with salt for 5-6 minutes.

We would also peel & slice the onions; wash them!



I did heat the oil in a wok & fry the carrot, potatoes, green peas; taken out. In the remaining oil; I fried the onions until caramelised!

I took out some for garnish!



I added the boiled lentil, rice, fried potato-carrot-green peas, cumin powder, crushed black pepper and folded in well!


We would adjust the salt if only required!


We enjoyed the meal with mushroom fritter, omelet, sweet mango pickle on the side! Salad I force feed myself; the rest would not touch!





 

No comments :

Post a Comment