Thursday 5 May 2022

CORNMEAL BANANA CHERRY CAKE



IS WRITING THE BLOG A COMPULSION, ROUTINE OR A JOB FOR ME?

None of the above are true in my case; though I am pretty tired at this time! We shopped locally, Cristine headed back home & I walked towards the Indian Market! I have a food delivery to be made on Saturday! I was unwilling to walk today, my body was not allowing! Then, the only pressure I allow on myself is that I must do some cardio five days a week; also I cannot allow myself rice or chapati every day! I met my Saturday's client on the road & giggled, told I am going to buy the raw materials. Its always a pleasure, I am doing what I enjoy doing! Just that I wished to take the MRT today! I stopped at every station on the way but again walked forward! I was counting milestones! This spot, where the canal is had been my favourite, some days I would walk along it, had stolen vegetables too during the pandemic. That "thoka togor" does not have a smell, but I would stop for a while! This way, I reached my destination on feet & walked a good distance!








What I did there I am coming to that! But am I forcing myself to write a blogpost after all those activities? Not really, I thoroughly enjoy expressing myself in the blog! In the process, adding a recipe is that extra dose of whipping cream  on my chilled caramel coffee. The question is do I exercise the full freedom of expression these days like before? No, I do not! Blogging continues to be my pleasure though!

I AM DOG TIRED; BUT HAPPY & CONTENT!

I had plans to try at Vana Bhojanam, their thali meal. Then I stepped back. It was difficult taking the trolley up the steps. Then, how much I shout at our mother, I never forget the lessons she taught, warned not to go alone in the segregated areas ever! Vana Bhojanam is between Copper Chimney & Urban Roti! 



I spotted Shilpa Kumkum at Mustafa, earlier at Jyoti Stores too, and nostalgia took over. Swaroop Sampath was a model I so loved, she was Shingar Kumkum's girl since early 80"s! I had to buy one. I spotted pabda mach at Mustafa for the first time in these eleven & half years of stay! I did not buy, they seemed stale & I do not require either! Because of the Hariraya holidays; no produce is coming from Malaysia; that is what my brothers in Rajdhani Stores told!



I had to head to the Tekka Market area too; for flowers & belpata! Also Thor / Banana Stem is not available at the Mustafa today! The Bangladeshi Stores never sell mocha, thor! I feel happy if someone orders me "thor ghonto"! I wanted to have my lunch at Surya, but finally had a pongal rice & iced tea lunch at Ananda Bhavan! How they curated a tiny corner, I like it!




I picked up the drumsticks from the Rajdhani Stores just because they looked fresh, T & the son would never touch! Certain authentic Bengali dishes my brother enjoys!


Home had always been my abode of peace! It took me a good shower to rejuvenate the self! 


I am all set for a tomorrow; to visit the doctor; head to the old neighbourhood to pick up some medicines; go to the parlour; come back home and do some preparation for Saturday! I am actually busy until the Saturday past midnight may be! Sunday should come some Bengali shares, start of a new week right?

WHAT IS THIS CORNMEAL BANANA CHERRY CAKE?

I am such a Bengali at heart, why did not I get a Bengali share today? I was 80% set to get a homely, Bengali recipe to the blog today! Then I changed my mind! I chose this healthier cake with gluten-free flours; CORNMEAL BANANA CHERRY CAKE! I am not a good observant; certain things I pass by do not make me happy, I just ignore! I feel I need not look at anything that is not serving me enough love! The only guilt is that two precious lives are gone in the Bengal scenario, but what can a food blogger do except for seeking peace for the departed soul? Death does not leave me in comfort, more if it is untimely! Neither cornmeal is my choice of flour! I only enjoy a paratha which has equal amount of cornmeal & refined flour, I find it easier to cook such a dough! I believe refined flour makes the best cakes; taste wise, texture wise! I just try my hands at healthier stuffs for my good; also it gets me better visits. What I totally dislike are the processed fruits, regret planning recipes with them. Fresh cherry burst desserts would have been better! THIS VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, STOVETOP CAKE is otherwise good!



INGREDIENTS :

CORNMEAL : 1 COFFEE MUG
RICE FLOUR : 1/4 COFFEE MUG
CORN FLOUR : 1 TBSP
RIPE BANANA : 2
PLAIN YOGURT : 1/2 MEDIUM TEA CUP
BAKING POWDER : 1 TEASPOON
BAKING SODA : 1/2 TEASPOON
SUGAR : 3-4 TBSP [THE CHERRIES ARE SWEET, I USED BROWN SUGAR]
OIL : 1/4 SMALL TEA CUP
VANILLA ESSENCE : 1 TSP
PROCESSED CHERRY : A HANDFUL CHOPPED

PROCEDURE :


We have the ingredients ready on our work station!


We would now take the three gluten-free flours, baking soda & powder in a bowl; mix together well!


In another bowl, to the mashed banana, we would add the sugar, yogurt!


We would add the banana-yogurt mixture to the flour mix and incorporate well!


I initially took little less of the plain yogurt; corrected!


We would add the chopped & processed cherries!


We would mix everything well, beaten for few minutes!


We would transfer the batter to an aluminium foil and tap on the kitchen counter! Then, we would top the cake with the rest of the chopped cherries!


We would place a pan on top the gas & place a wired stand on it!


We would place well the foiled cake tin on it!


We would cover it & let cook for at least 45 to 50 minutes at minimal heat!


We should be done by that time!



Have the cake warm or cold with your tea / coffee or any beverage you prefer!



 

1 comment :