Monday 20 March 2023

A RUSTIC COOK'S CINNAMON BUN


 WHAT A LAZY MONDAY IT SEEMS!

I actually have decided not to go out for a walk today, swim instead! If I go out I feel like having my first meal outside! I have my first meal post 4-4:30pm & I am not in the mood to hurriedly write & finish my blogpost in the day time, let me stretch it all day long! Also, the baked cinnamon buns & the paneer tikki are to be done away with today! The situation is such, T would have whatever fancy I cook but he wants it one time! That is right in the sense you cannot serve a homemade fresh bake after three or four days or keep reheating & having a kebab! The thing is how much of less amount I cook, it stays; both T & Cristine are small eaters; I am the one who eats the maximum not wanting to waste! It is 1:05 pm right now, would write until 2 pm & go down for a swim, the weather is sunny! Thereafter, I would have a good shower, do the afternoon prayer & again sit to write with chai or coffee, bun, paneer tikki! I wish to visit those Irani Cafes for the milk tea & bun maska! I may get acidity from the milk tea; but have noticed if it is a masala tea or a ginger tea, I do not get ill in all cases! Does Kolkata have a Parsi Cafe? I would be visiting our city end of April, T has just sent my ticket! What I get is Kolkata has Irani food serving places, not exactly the Irani Cafe chain! I see an Irani Chai place at Howrah! I limit myself to few destinations in Kolkata, the Southern fringe is yet unknown to me; Howrah is a far at sight thing! I do not go too far in the city as I am comfortable taking only public transport there when alone! Yes, Singapore is such a secured place that it robs you of your confidence!

WE LOVE OUR HOME & NEVER GET BORED!

May be because we are happy with our gadgets, T with his television; I with my cell phone! The son too has gone after us; he does party with the friends but not frequently! Mumma was smiling watching him washing his clothes in the evening or the utensils in the dishwasher! I do not believe a dishwasher can clean a "kadai", "korai", "wok" as good as the housemaids in Bengal! Our mother kinds of would not use non-stick woks regular! Rujuta Diwekar has her own line of followers! Rujuta is good! Longtime, I did not visit her stream! But I did make a atta-maida-makki flour mix paratha last night for us; in between all the series & movies we had been watching! 


Roti-Prata is a regular thing in our family; we prefer them with less oil & thin! The multigrain litti I cooked last month caused me stomach ailment! T enjoyed it, I am not that fond of Bati or litti; I have a thing for Middle Eastern Breads; love them all! What I had sometime back are these!


I and Cristine finished off the leftovers, I wished for a sunny side up today! I had all those with the Kashmiri Pink tea! I do not have the specific tea the way they have it; gradually I developed the taste for having it milk & sugar free! After having the huge platter above, I saw the sunny weather turning cloudy, it started to rain with thunders! I made some "muri makha"; had with black, sugar-free coffee! I felt like & ate, thereafter I suffer from guilt, more when I see great bodied men & women around!


You cannot just ask me to sacrifice everything I love? Can you? I would have if my looks & body got me lakhs & crores of rupees! It's okay to share with you my sweaty, odd self else!


I do not exercise enough; had I have, then combined with an intermittent fasting, I would have gotten a well sculpted body! I simply dislike my hanging belly & thunderous thighs; but the love for food is stronger than that hate! I make good "murimakha" but once you add cucumber & tomato to it, the puffed rice loses it's crunch! I prefer roasted peanuts over chanachur in muri!

WHAT IS THIS A RUSTIC COOK'S CINNAMON BUN?

Besides loving to cook rustic, homely Bengali recipes; I enjoy doing simple bakes! If you are expecting an expert baker's expression in these cinnamon buns, you won't be happy! I break the steps of bake into simpler forms as much as possible & use ordinary mediums getting them! But I do them with as much love & sincerity! Look at the number of utensils I washed being used to bake those vegetarian cinnamon buns! 


It was a Sunday & Cristine was not at home! Sunday is usually my free day & I just cannot sit idle! I feel better doing something whilst watching a series or movie! For a couple of years now, I had been watching various videos on the making of cinnamon buns, focaccia, soda breads! I cannot even follow the steps, do's & don'ts mentioned in an ace baker's video or written recipe! I get to be the coolest one whilst taking up a baking project; some days I fail! On days I do a pretty good job, I get it to the blog & name the vegetarian bake A RUSTIC COOK'S CINNAMON BUN! If you fear baking, do along with me a cinnamon bun low on sugar & serve your family the freshest of bread & cake, it need not have the perfection of a renowned bakery, it has to cook well!



INGREDIENTS :

REFINED FLOUR : 1 1/2 COFFEE MUG
ACTIVE DRY BAKER'S YEAST : 11 GM SACHET
LUKEWARM MILK : 1/2 COFFEE MUG
SUGAR : 1 TSP + 2TSP [YOU CAN USE MORE]
SALT : 1/2-1/3 TSP
CINNAMON POWDER : 1TBSP + 1TSP
MELTED BUTTER : 2-3 TBSP [I USED A BIT OF OLIVE OIL TOO]

PROCEDURE :


Take the refined flour+salt in a bowl & mix well! To the lukewarm milk, add the sugar & mix! Stir in the dry yeast & let it rise to double! 

Add 2 tbsp of melted butter, 1 tbsp of olive oil, the liquid to the flour mix & prepare a sticky dough! I required a little of extra lukewarm water!

Cover the dough & keep in a warm place for an hour or little more!


Remove the cover once the dough has doubled! Take it on a floor dusted kitchen top and knead smooth just enough! 

Roll it & dust with cinnamon & sugar, spread well! Roll it tight!


Cut the roll, keeping each piece moderately thick, tap a bit! Grease a container with some butter or oil! Place the uncooked buns in the container!

Mix together the rest of the melted butter & oil, cinnamon powder, sugar & mix well! Brush with it atop the uncooked buns!

Preheat the oven, I used a mini oven toaster! I baked them for 40 minutes at 180*C!


I was more pleased with the outcome of the second batch! Brush the tops with the cinnamon powder+sugar+butter mixture before serving! They taste the best hot & fresh!






No comments :

Post a Comment