Thursday 23 March 2023

COCONUT FLOUR HALWA



I AM UNABLE TO WRITE MY BLOGPOSTS IN THE MORNINGS!

I am trying to recollect how I could write a blogpost when the school going son was around & now I cannot manage time! It is ridiculous & unbelievable to others that on this day, a sit at home whose son lives elsewhere, who has a full time help as good as Cristine cannot manage time! The entire morning what I do I cannot explain you! Hailing from a disciplined family, I forgot all about the word! Also my brother was never fond of the word, that home too ceased to become time bound! But trust me, I am happily engaged! Today, after arranging two sets of pictures & doing the morning prayer session, I looked at the watch & it was 2:30 pm! I strongly wished to go for a swim, but Thursdays, I usually go for either a massage or a massage+cupping session! Fridays are meant for shopping for the raw produce! Also, I had to go to Kovan for a flower pot, they are cheaper there! The empty ones we have at home are not fitting the purpose! It was pricking heat, also I was off because both the places I go for a neck-shoulder-back massage were fully occupied today! You have a massage parlour at every nook & corner here, but the charges matter to me! My mentality is middle class & I am a miser!


This was the swimming pool which was under construction when I went for my driving classes there in 2016, there beside had a Comfort Delgro Centre! When we shifted from Hougang, I wanted their centre near home but they told me to continue there in Kovan as my start point! I think I have forgotten driving! The construction site you see, there used to be 6-7 nurseries! I have to visit the Katong Flower Market sooner! On my way back, I stopped once at a bus stop, then started walking again & to the massage parlour, did cupping & massage!

WHAT DID I COOK THIS MORNING?

Starting today & for one month; T would eat his breakfast & set out for his office! He would not carry lunch box because he feels awkward to eat in front of his thirsty colleagues! He ate his favourite "dim sheddo-aloo sheddo gola bhaat", later I cooked chirer polao for myself, updated the blogpost! I followed our mother's recipe, only that she does not use turmeric powder! Back home, around 6:30 pm, I ate it with the sugar & milk free Kashmiri Tea! 


I would later share the link of the blogpost, because the son does not eat it, mumma does not wish to make much of noise about it! We love semolina halwa, rajma curry, ghugni too much, I do not get why the son dislikes certain variety of beans! How I resisted myself from treating at least with little something from outside, bypassing the Kovan Mall, one of the biggest in this island was difficult! I bought instead those fruits they are calling tiny Thai Mango!


It is tasting somewhere between Apricot & Mango; the skin tastes that of a mango, the seed too is hairy! Yesterday for dinner, we had fried rice & egg drop curry combo! In the evening, I had to go to meet someone; actually cooked those in the day time!



WHAT IS THIS COCONUT FLOUR HALWA?

This was again the result of a mistake, I was actually trying to cook a gluten-free, vegan malpua / deep fried pancake from the mixture! The mixture I made with coconut flour, rice flour, finger millet / ragi flour! The fennel seed stands testimony of what I say! I simply failed to manage the batter in a pool of hot oil! May be the Almighty did not want me to use that amount of oil on that very day! I am not the kind who would waste such a delicious batter, it was tasting like Satyanarayan er Shinni! I was a primary school goer & the brother a toddler, when our mother had to plead to the landlord to allow their terrace for the purpose, later she could do in her own home! We live in a rented space with no interference from the landlord but this special prayer needs to be done in an open area! I fear to offer Shinni to my God Family, if they get angry? They say, yearly once it is good to have a Satyanarayan Puja at home! The thing is I did not keep the batter to have as Shinni but turned it onto an easy made, vegan, gluten-free warm dessert; COCONUT FLOUR HALWA! It is gooey & low on sweet! One of my favourite childhood breakfast had been to have "chatu-muri-kola-chini_dudh", the Neogy Family gave me big packets sattu / chatu before leaving for Abu Dhabi! I am soon to have my first meals with the above mentioned, may skip the sugar or add a little!



INGREDIENTS :

COCONUT FLOUR : 1 COFFEE MUG
FINGER MILLET FLOUR : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
RICE FLOUR : 1/2 SMALL TEA CUP
FENNEL SEED : 1 TSP
SUGAR : 4-5 TBSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
GREEN CARDAMOM : 3-4
CINNAMON STICK : 2-3 SMALL SIZED
CLOVE : 3-4
BAYLEAF : 1
OIL : 3-4 TBSP [GHEE WOULD IMPART A LOVELY FLAVOUR]
I USED RAISIN, ROASTED PISTACHIO & CASHEW NUT TO GARNISH

PROCEDURE :


Take all the three flours, sugar, fennel seeds in a bowl & whisk well! Add enough to prepare a smooth batter!

Heat the oil in a wok; add the bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon sticks, green cardamoms & give a stir!

Add the mixture to the wok, fold in well & continuously stir at minimal heat! This is the step we need patience in this otherwise easy recipe!

When the dessert is done, the mixture would tend to leave the sides, we would add the roasted dry fruits & mix well, leaving some to garnish!

We would transfer it to a bowl, garnish with the rest of the roasted dry fruits! Having fresh gives us the best taste of it!






 

No comments :

Post a Comment