Monday 11 December 2023

LIGHTLY SWEET FRIED SNACK



EVEN IN LONELINESS, I KEEP MYSELF HAPPY & RELATIVELY ACTIVE!

I am thankful to "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo"! A long time friend Pampa prescribed me to chant it everyday few years back & since then things improved! The heart remains lighter, I manage to engage myself in some project of interest whenever I feel a bit boring! However, that mental disease of fearing for the life of my own would never go! I do not go for treatments, neither I, nor the man believe in gulping sedatives! Moreover, with your only child living far off, you cannot live in peace, not in case of my kinds! To top it, the man would drive 5-6 hours to the neighbouring country alone, ever since his Australian colleague left their company! These are normal things to happen in life, you cannot stop people living, the man has to go to work to feed us, the son had to go out of the mother's lap to fulfil the parents' wishes & his own! To worry about "what's going to happen" is not a normal behaviour but I have made peace with it, not to leave me! It is also true, I can switch anytime to "Dil to dil hain dil ka kya hain, Jispe aya uspe aya, Dil ki ate dil hi Jane, Dil hi samjhe dil ki Maya, Dil ki maya puchiye to; Zara mujhko kya chahiye, Darde dil ki mujh, Bas dawa chahiye; Ibatazar ho chuki intaha chahiye, Dil to dil hai dil ka kya hain"! 
I am a huge Madhuri Dixit fan, of her smile & dancing skill; not of her fashion sense in those days or her choice of movies! 

WHAT WAS I ACTUALLY DOING YESTERDAY, ON A LONELY SUNDAY?

I could have taken to reading but could not! I was tensed until the man reached his destination! I tried to persuade the son to talk to me, that in vein! Cristine went out for her off day! I tried to watch a movie, could not concentrate! Thereafter, I felt like capturing the steps of the making of my lunch! I understand I do not make classy videos but the recipes are decent & I deserve some likes; that 7-8 views seem absurd! I was enjoying my lunch, forgot to click! I make pretty good masala chai, cannot digest! 



And those Luchis / Bengali Puffed Breads Cristine made last Saturday night! I preffered vegetarian sides whilst Cristine & her Sir had with chicken! Yesterday night, I had the chicken made using pickle oil! In the coming days, I want to have it with rice! I have invited a friend for lunch coming Friday, at this time I am planning the menu sitting with Cristine! I always would do this whenever friends & relatives are due! In fact, I would keep the refrigerator well stocked with food! I love to eat, the word food gets ripples on my mind! A bare table puts me off! I just do not believe in a lot of discussions over a glass of wine or cups of tea & coffee with barely something on the sides! That concept does not work for me!

WHAT IS THIS LIGHTLY SWEET FRIED SNACK?

I do not know if I can call this snack healthy, you can see it has been fried! Okay, the amount of oil used is less, also the flours used are oatmeal, ragi / finger millet, rice flour! We may take the liberty to call this vegan & gluten-free snack, more or less healthy! I named it LIGHTLY SWEET FRIED SNACK! Done with three varieties of gluten-free flours, banana, brown sugar, a dash of crushed black pepper; it just suited our taste buds! If you can have it fresh & warm, you get a crisp outer texture! You can store them for 2-3 days! I remember that day, it was an impromptu idea, the origin may be Thekua! Cristine was out on a work, I did not wait for her, neither this easy to make vegetarian delight requires any assistance! The stepwise pictures would echo the same I think! I could bake them brushing a bit of oil but I could not anticipate the right temperature and cooking time in the oven! I found it safer to fry them in less oil given my knowledge in the matter!


INGREDIENTS :

OATMEAL : 1 COFFEE MUG
FINGER MILLET / RAGI FLOUR : 1 SMALL TEA CUP
RICE FLOUR : 2 TBSP
BANANA : 2 STANDARD SIZED
SUGAR : 2 TBSP [I USED BROWN SUGAR]
CRUSHED BLACK PEPPER : 1/2 TSP
OIL : 4-5 TBSP
WE CAN USE CHOICE OF DRY FRUITS, I FORGOT

PROCEDURE :


To get oatmeal, I powder the oats in a blender! We would take the oatmeal, finger millet flour, rice flour, crushed black pepper in a bowl & mix well!

To that we would add the washed & peeled bananas, sugar [brown sugar in my kitchen]! We would mash the bananas and mix everything!

The bananas are not enough to bring together everything to a dough! We cannot add more of bananas or a cup of water because that would leave the fried stuffs soggy! Also, we would find it difficult to shape the uncooked snacks!

What we would do is to wet our right palm and knead the dough! We will repeat wet the palm and knead until we get a firm dough but not dry!

We would tear off portions and give a shape to each with a smooth finish!

We would keep them covered for not more than 7-8 minutes, this would help the moisture to lock in!

We would heat the oil in the wok and fry both sides well, in each case! This step does not take much of time, do not burn them!

We would place them onto tissue papers before serving!




 

2 comments :

  1. Looks great. Its been a long while. I miss your blogsite. Happy december to you dear friend. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete